Author Topic: The Home Improvement Thread  (Read 55302 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #330 on: July 20, 2021, 12:29:49 pm »
check the rubber gasket that seals the door to the body of the fridge.  doors not closing or staying closed could be due to a tear, bump, etc in the gasket.  had to replace ours a while back and it was easy-peasy.

once you've accomplished this manly task, are you going to load her up with women's work? 
<sig>

« Reply #331 on: July 20, 2021, 12:49:00 pm »
^ good tip
the gasket sometimes can go and is just a peel and stick operation
although I'd make sure you get the gasket for that specific model and not some generic one

I'd definitely put on some low cut jeans and make sure your ass crack is showing while doing this work
then be like 'bitch, make me some chicken pot pie'...I'm sure that will go over well
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #332 on: July 20, 2021, 01:20:30 pm »
When you have a gut like mine, all the pants ride low. They key is to have a shirt that's long enough the cover the cracks.

I can't think of a home repair that's *ever* been "easy peasy" for me. They all stress me out. Exact opposite of my dad, who never saw a pipe wrench he didn't love. Doing a 10 mile hike with 2500 ft elevation gain will always be easier for me than simple home repairs. But thanks, yeah, I'll look at the gasket!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #333 on: July 20, 2021, 02:24:36 pm »
I can't think of a home repair that's *ever* been "easy peasy" for me.

space, today is the first day of the rest of your life - you've got this!  replacing the gasket is so simple, you could sub-contract the gig to your daughter (that is, if she ever did any housework...).  the gasket is held on by an adhesive.  replacing a gasket is literally as simple as peeling off the old one, no tools required; then removing the wax paper on the back of the new one and sticking it on.  the hardest part, which isn't hard at all, is aligning it correctly.  protip: take a couple of pix of the old gasket before you remove it, so you can reference where to place the replacement - assuming your fridge isn't like ours which had a well/indentation where the gasket needed to go.  pretty close to idiot-proof (couldn't even snare this idiot!).
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #334 on: July 20, 2021, 02:33:51 pm »
I can't think of a home repair that's *ever* been "easy peasy" for me.

space, today is the first day of the rest of your life - you've got this!  replacing the gasket is so simple, you could sub-contract the gig to your daughter (that is, if she ever did any housework...).  the gasket is held on by an adhesive.  replacing a gasket is literally as simple as peeling off the old one, no tools required; then removing the wax paper on the back of the new one and sticking it on.  the hardest part, which isn't hard at all, is aligning it correctly.  protip: take a couple of pix of the old gasket before you remove it, so you can reference where to place the replacement - assuming your fridge isn't like ours which had a well/indentation where the gasket needed to go.  pretty close to idiot-proof (couldn't even snare this idiot!).

Put that way, it does sound easy peasy. Thanks. Though i do worry that i could end up making it worse.

My daughter won't even turn the shower on for herself (if mom is around.) No way she's doing home repairs.

« Reply #335 on: July 20, 2021, 02:45:49 pm »
protip: take a couple of pix of the old gasket before you remove it, so you can reference where to place the replacement
Can confirm...excellent protip
slack

vansmack

« Reply #336 on: July 20, 2021, 03:51:01 pm »
also Youtube for this kind of stuff is a great resource

This.  Replaced a drain pump on our washing machine to see if I could before calling a service person.  YouTube made it very easy....
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #337 on: July 20, 2021, 04:01:03 pm »
Put that way, it does sound easy peasy. Thanks.

don't forget to grunt a lot and complain about how hard this (men's) work is... get full credit for what is ultimately a cakewalk.  bonus points for mansplaining what a gasket is to your wife.

mind you, the problem might not be the gasket - then we're back to square one.

also Youtube for this kind of stuff is a great resource
[/font]

This.  Replaced a drain pump on our washing machine to see if I could before calling a service person.  YouTube made it very easy....

youtube taught me to replace the pilot light assembly on our water heater.  10 minutes of video and a trip to home depot saved us several hundred dollars and spared us from days without warm showers due to no repairmen (it's men's work, right?) being available until the following week.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 04:09:38 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

« Reply #338 on: July 20, 2021, 04:03:10 pm »
replace the thermocouple on my furnace...youtube made me the 'man-king' for a day
slack

« Reply #339 on: August 04, 2021, 01:07:24 pm »
I should stop looking at zillow
but the house in San Franciso that we sold in 2013...is now valued at $900k more now!
From what I can tell, almost zero upgrades (everything was fairly new when we bought in 08)

jesus christ on a stick, I wish we'd held on to that
slack

Starsky

« Reply #340 on: August 04, 2021, 02:14:29 pm »
Masochist

vansmack

« Reply #341 on: August 04, 2021, 02:21:22 pm »
No, no.  The pandemic wiped out the big city, everyone is leaving CA for Montana and Texas, work from home is ending Silicon Valley as we know it.  The dream is over....

Except that two units in our building just sold for $1116 per sq/ft after 4 days on the market and $1184 per sq/ft after two weeks on the market.

So maybe the news is wrong?
27>34

Starsky

« Reply #342 on: August 04, 2021, 02:26:12 pm »
Never bought into that bull

I wish I could buy a nice apartment in Manhattan on the cheap…

« Reply #343 on: August 04, 2021, 03:39:33 pm »
So maybe the news is wrong?
my inlaws for the last 20 years have been saying how "California is a failed liberal experiment, look at all the business and people leaving every day...the Liberals have ruined that state"

for the record..trump got 6 million votes there...it's a dark blue state, but there are a lot of people who don't live within 2 miles of the coast who vote red and muck up CA politics every chance they get
slack

« Reply #344 on: August 04, 2021, 03:41:07 pm »
I wish I could buy a nice apartment in Manhattan on the cheap…
I can get you one of these in lower manhattan for a cool 100K
slack