Author Topic: The Home Improvement Thread  (Read 53082 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #345 on: August 17, 2021, 02:14:11 pm »
So my fridge problem fixed itself. Maybe there were something in it preventing the door closure.

Now it's the dryer. The dryer came with the house in 2004. No problems until now. It's plugged in. I press and hold the start button and it's getting power, but it's not spinning. Is it the belt? The motor? Is this easy enough for a dummy to fix? Should I find a repairman? Should I just buy a new one?

Yada

« Reply #346 on: August 17, 2021, 02:23:25 pm »
So my fridge problem fixed itself. Maybe there were something in it preventing the door closure.

Now it's the dryer. The dryer came with the house in 2004. No problems until now. It's plugged in. I press and hold the start button and it's getting power, but it's not spinning. Is it the belt? The motor? Is this easy enough for a dummy to fix? Should I find a repairman? Should I just buy a new one?

Buy a new one. You have at least a seventeen year old appliance that is most likely at it's end of life/mixed with 17 years of pubic hair stuck in the vents.

Space Freely

« Reply #347 on: August 17, 2021, 02:27:59 pm »

Buy a new one. You have at least a seventeen year old appliance that is most likely at it's end of life/mixed with 17 years of pubic hair stuck in the vents.

Thank you. Google confirms that you are correct, at least about the first part.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #348 on: August 17, 2021, 02:32:12 pm »
i would spend 30 minutes trying to figure it out, and if i couldn't ID the problem in that time i'd replace it.  at that age, i wouldn't want to invest too much time or money fixing it.  it's at its end of life so anything invested in it won't take you much farther.  so if you can replace a belt or a sensor quickly and cheaply, go for it.  i wouldn't call a repairman, you'll be out $150 before he/she ever walks in the door.  put that money towards a new dryer.

17 years is a good run for a dryer - in fact it's likely older than 17 years since it probably wasn't new when you got it.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #349 on: August 17, 2021, 02:36:07 pm »
+1

But he needs help knowing what to check

I recommend YouTube but it’s likely it’s time to get something new

17 years plus seems amazing…that’s a great run

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #350 on: August 17, 2021, 02:39:23 pm »
Your new dryer will only last 8-10 years.

Starsky

« Reply #351 on: August 17, 2021, 02:41:00 pm »
Absolutely agree…new appliances are just not like the old ones

17 years is amazing

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #352 on: August 17, 2021, 02:47:44 pm »

When I think of pubic hair facts, I think of Yada.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #353 on: August 17, 2021, 03:37:27 pm »
I took the top off and the belt seems to be fine. That's about the extent of my abilities. I'll be shopping for a replacement later today.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #354 on: August 17, 2021, 03:51:17 pm »
 Things To Check when your Dryer won't turn on or start - REPAIR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNWKRjaSZzw
<sig>

« Reply #355 on: August 17, 2021, 04:15:16 pm »
Have you tried rebooting it?
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #356 on: August 17, 2021, 04:20:04 pm »

Do you mean unplugging and plugging back in, or are you making a joke here?

« Reply #357 on: August 17, 2021, 04:24:30 pm »

I've worked in IT for over 25 years, it's the solution that fixes most problems
Does not fix all, but a good first step
I am also making a joke...but if it works, it will be good advice
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #358 on: August 17, 2021, 04:36:20 pm »

I've worked in IT for over 25 years, it's the solution that fixes most problems
Does not fix all, but a good first step
I am also making a joke...but if it works, it will be good advice

Yeah, I hear you. I'm the IT guy for my office, though when i can't fix it (and obviously I'm no genius), there's professionals (probably you) to turn it over to. Though they've centralized things over the past few years and taken away many of my permissions and thus duties. But anyhow, "try rebooting it" has worked an amazing amount of times.

Starsky

« Reply #359 on: February 08, 2022, 03:19:38 pm »