Author Topic: The Home Improvement Thread  (Read 53117 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2020, 12:37:51 pm »
I have one of those things that has no motor

Just blades that rotate

huh?  then what makes the blades rotate?  in most lawnmowers, it's the motor...
<sig>

« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2020, 12:44:12 pm »
I have one of those things that has no motor

Just blades that rotate

huh?  then what makes the blades rotate?  in most lawnmowers, it's the motor...
umm...
slack

hutch

« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2020, 12:48:01 pm »
That’s it a! A beaut

Mine is the rarer red variant!!!

Space Freely

« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2020, 01:17:19 pm »
My brother was using one of those to cut his three acre lawn for awhile. Then he bought a riding mower.

On the flip side, I laugh every time i see my neighbor using his riding mower on his quarter acre lawn (and it's not like he moved here from a bigger space, he moved here from a townhouse.

hutch

« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2020, 01:48:58 pm »
These mowers really suck if the grass gets at all high...that is the main problem with the one I bought

I think for the right person and house they are great

« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2020, 01:50:43 pm »
These mowers really suck if the grass gets at all high...that is the main problem with the one I bought

I think for the right person and house they are great
yeah they don't work when the grass is "ms Holdsworth is coming back to town next week" high
slack

hutch

« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2020, 02:01:16 pm »
:)

They don’t work when it’s Mrs Holdsworth has been gone a week high

Space Freely

« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2020, 04:50:07 pm »
Greatest lawnmower review ever:

Six star amazing!

Ordered yesterday: received today.

I'm a 66 year-old male. I've been in a power wheelchair for 10 years from a severe case of Guillain-Barre syndrome that left me with a 45% total body disability rating. The GBS left me with about 50% of normal grip strength bilaterally and nerve damage and loss of strength in my forearms as well.

A neighborhood teen has been mowing my yard for years using his lawn tractor.

Just yesterday, a landscaping crew finished installing 150 feet of sidewalk across my front lawn and down the sides of my house. The walk is made from a combination of a pea gravel bed between staked, treated 2 X 4's and over 500 12 X 12 concrete step stones form Lowes. Red and white checkerboard pattern. I can now do yard work and not track in dirt on my wheelchair wheels.

Well, it occurred to me that I would not want my yard boy riding the lawn tractor over my walkways so, after researching all the options, I bought this mower for HIM to use.

Well, when it arrived this morning, I cut the box open to get to the charger and batteries so that I could have them ready for him.

When the larger battery charged fully in about thirty minutes, I thought I would see how powerful the mower was with a brief test push.

To my UTTER ASTONISHMENT and PURE DELIGHT, I was not only able give it a "test push," but, steering my power wheelchair with my right hand on the joystick and the mower with my weakened left hand and arm, I was able to mow my entire front lawn! The mower is TRULY that light and maneuverable! I'll get the back yard tomorrow - and not because the battery gave out but because my out-of-shape arm did. I have a 1,517 square foot house on a 5,00 square foot lot, by the way.

When I removed the large battery immediately after mowing, I returned it straight to the charger. Not only was it not too hot be recharged, it was barely warm after mowing in 91 degree southeast Georgia summer heat. It was fully recharged in 30 minutes.
It made less noise than my bathroom fan or rangehood fan and had plenty of power for my overdue centipede lawn gone to seed.

For the wheelchair bound who have retained full upper body nerve function and strength this thing will be a snap - including the 20 inch model. I'm handling my 19 inch model with ease. For wheelchair bound users with even less strength than me, there is the 16 inch model.

I can get by with the handle as is but I will be looking to modify the handle slightly to better suit my needs from the seated position in the wheelchair.

NOTE TO GREENWORKS: I represent a tremendous market among the disabled for this mower. PLEASE consider making an optional handle configuration that is ergonomically right for thousands of potential users in power wheelchairs.

By the way, no longer needing my lawn boy, I will easily recoup the cost of this mower in one full growing season.

This thing represents a whole new ball game in cordless mowing and a near miracle for the wheelchair bound. SO FAR, I highly recommend it.

Jay Moreno
St. Marys, GA

« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2020, 11:04:36 am »
Job killer!
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2020, 02:13:29 pm »
So I need to have a 6 foot gate replaced. Lowest estimate is $625...WTF?!?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2020, 02:14:51 pm »
OTOH, the generator service yesterday was free due to a faulty pelnum under recall. Parts and service were covered by Generac.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 02:17:44 pm by Heilung4eva »

« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2020, 08:20:10 am »
Keep us posted Sidehatch!
Wow, just got a new quote from my mortgage broker: 2.875% on 30yr fixed refi and $2k credit to cover closing costs
reduction of $175 a month (yes extended term and loan)

Would like it if the principal didn't increase, but coming up with the cash to fund 1/2 year of the escrow costs is the rub
I was going to have to pay taxes and insurance regardless, but having it added to the principal is what I am struggling with

But this would save $60k the life of the loan (all interest) and $2k reduction in Annual fixed housing costs...which isn't too shabby
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2020, 12:00:07 pm »
AC broke over the weekend...the guy is coming out this afternoon.

hutch

« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2020, 12:31:39 pm »
Am having AC issue too... we have two different systems and the upstairs one is not cooling..am hoping it’s stuff that had gotten in unit (cottony shit from weeds) which I hosed down...last year that did the trick...

« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2020, 01:02:13 pm »
That yellow pollen stuff from the Oak trees around here is satan's spawn and so destructive
slack