Author Topic: How to end systemic racism?  (Read 26369 times)

hutch

How to end systemic racism?
« on: June 01, 2020, 01:54:18 pm »
I am all ears

hutch

Re: How to end systemic racism?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 02:00:36 pm »
I think economic and educational opportunity is a part of it

I don’t see this country enacting the necessary changes or investment

hutch

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 02:21:44 pm »
The only organization I support financially

I attend their annual event every year

This is run on a shoestring budget and helps DC black kids graduate high school, apply to college and finish college

We are talking about kids who are usually the first in their families to graduate high school and/or go to college

The guy who runs it and does most of the work is a modern day Jesus Christ in my opinion: Paul Pennimann

Got tired of tutoring rich kids and moved to Anacostia to really get involved helping kids..

He gets results

https://risedc.org/

Yada

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 02:36:13 pm »
The same way you end Covid 19. You can't.

hutch

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 02:42:40 pm »
You have to minimize it just as you would with Covid

You don’t ignore it and say hey life goes on (obviously not saying you are)

I have ideas for things government could do but the organization I cited above is addressing the impact of systemic racism one kid at a time

People are doing a ton of virtue signaling right now but I am telling you we can do stuff and person by person over decades we can make change

Unfortunately as a wise man once said change is hard

For an example we all know: Baltimore

Think we can’t address it? Unfortunately it costs time and money...I think we need a Marshall Plan for it

rich_WDC

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 05:33:53 pm »
Here's a slow, incremental step:

Quit teaching Black History month in kindergarten and early grades.

Doing so just calls out to kids that there must be something different about people who have certain degrees of melanin for skin color.

MLK?  George Washington Carver?  Frederick Douglass?    Teach about them as great Americans; not great black Americans.

Kids don't need to learn to categorize racially. 

Perhaps around Grade 4 the history of slavery and resulting badness etc etc is appropriate to fold in to a curriculum.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 05:53:37 pm »
^interesting take and not one I've heard
But my feeling that is not really a big factor in the racist actions of others?
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 06:13:04 pm »
End homeschooling. Mandate all students attend public school. MASSIVE busing.
LVMH

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 06:22:55 pm »
End homeschooling. Mandate all students attend public school. MASSIVE busing.
not 100% homeschooling is the problem

but all kids that go to private schools now have to go to public schools...yeah that'll go over well

bussing...I do think there are some benefits and have heard it was good for a lot of people involved
but there is the 1 hour each way commute to kids
I think the whole property tax->funds for schools is a bad system and makes it so the kids in rich communities get "Private-school-lite' style public education, where kids in poor communities barely get an education

Maybe they should do something like foreign exchange students and everyone has to do a lottery-style placement for a year?

I have always felt a year of mandatory service should be for all 18yr olds
but that service can be all sorts of things.  As long as they have to leave home and live/work with others outside of their community
slack

Yada

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 06:27:26 pm »

Doing so just calls out to kids that there must be something different about people who have certain degrees of melanin for skin color.

MLK?  George Washington Carver?  Frederick Douglass?    Teach about them as great Americans; not great black Americans.

Perhaps around Grade 4 the history of slavery and resulting badness etc etc is appropriate to fold in to a curriculum.

I'll tell you what Rich, I've thought about this a lot and to myself have considered this a good idea but have never brought it up in fear of being labeled a racist.

I have a kindergarten aged child who has been around children and adults of color since the day she was born. Not once in her short life had she EVER mentioned skin color until this year and it all stemmed from learning about MLK and black history month. She now consistently questions people and being mean to black people, "why did Martin Luther King get his head blown off" (said by other kids on her bus), etc.

We also have some friends that legitimately talk to their kids about intense racial shit at incredibly young ages. I just don't know what to do.

lily1

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 08:32:09 pm »
First and foremost, recognize that right off the bat if you are born white, you will always be one step ahead, even if born into poverty.

You'd be surprised how few white people truly reflect on that fact.

Space Freely

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 09:15:29 pm »
First and foremost, recognize that right off the bat if you are born white, you will always be one step ahead, even if born into poverty.

You'd be surprised how few white people truly reflect on that fact.

Do the children of coalminers in Appalachia have a leg up on Jay-Z and Beyonce's kids?

Space Freely

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 09:17:18 pm »

this is kind of a tip of the iceberg thing that acts like we're post-racism
cops routinely kill black people now, it seems
this is a micro detail
like a band aid on a bullet wound

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 09:41:47 pm »
Richmond is kinda a mess right now. Cops without warning tear gased a large, totally peaceful group of protestors 30 minutes before curfew. Also cops are spitting on arrested people. All on video.  Mayor has issued a blanket invitation for people to come to city hall so he can apologize tomorrow at noon which is going to get WILD.

Crazy anger on social media even from old people who haven’t posted about this at all.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 09:43:45 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH