Author Topic: How to end systemic racism?  (Read 26352 times)

hutch

Re: How to end systemic racism?
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2020, 12:01:45 pm »
And no you can’t really start with chokeholds and police reform because that’s going to be handled state by state police department by police department etc...it’s just not something that is going to be that easy to do

Although you can do police departments in democrat controlled cities

But can the federal government pump trillions into Baltimore to clean it up? Hell yeah that we could do but I don’t hear one person talking about it
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:03:28 pm by hutch »

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2020, 12:02:56 pm »
I mean what are we really talking about?police tactics?

You can eliminate all the police (and maybe we should) and parts of Brawltimore - an example- will still be the twilight zone

Many black people in America don’t stand a chance...there is little opportunity for them

agreed, we need to do more, but ensuring that african americans aren't shot or choked to death seems like a reasonable place to start...
so yes...I agree with sweets
it's just tactics that are on the table, but it's part of a bigger discussion that the country is having on the role of cops and use of force

I keep seeing all these stories of people in the ER/Mental Health centers having to deal with drugged/drunk/belligerent people and they never resort to choking or killing them.

What always shocks and disturbs me is that often they KNOW it's being filmed and it's usually a group of them
I'm not saying it's easy to detain a large, muscular man who may be hopped up on something, but there are techniques used all over the world to effectivly restrain an unarmed individual

And no you can’t really start with chokeholds and police reform because that’s going to be handled state by state police department by police department etc...it’s just not something that is going to be that easy to do
this is the rub that most people don't understand
18,000 independent police departments!
there is no 1 Chief of ALL Police
Maybe that's where some change needs to happen?
I'm sure that will get the GOP back to support states rights
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:05:27 pm by Side-Nue!antz ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

hutch

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2020, 12:06:10 pm »
Agree police shouldn’t abuse its powers and break the law.

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2020, 12:21:13 pm »
JUST IN: “White Lives Matter” spray-painted on Arthur Ashe monument in Richmond
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2020, 12:24:51 pm »
The real crime is how terrible that monument is. It looks like he’s beating children and holding a Bible aloft while doing it.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2020, 12:27:01 pm »
Decriminalize drugs.

Although how you deal with dealers isn’t so easy

Some of these cities are having a dozen or more murders a week..there are a lot of guns around and a lot of violence excluding that by cops

Not so easy to walk these streets if you are a cop..you need to make these streets safer and the only way I can think of is to invest so much money and afford so much opportunity that crime is no longer the only way out other than sports or celebrity

If you think taking cops out of Baltimore is going to fix things and everyone is going to be singing kumbaya...well

hutch

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2020, 12:35:51 pm »
I don’t think society is ready to have an honest conversation about this...it’s a lot of sloganeering and no sign anything is getting done

Meanwhile resentment between the races is just building up...it was already pretty bad before...

If I was Biden I would be proposing some sort of massive economic opportunity program but he is going to play it safe...and just post obvious stuff on his Facebook  like we shouldn’t have chokeholds..scared to freak out whites..and how would you pay for it?

Of course police was overwhelmingly pro Trump before and now...

I have a friend who works (worked?) at a DC bar that hosts police week and he said the pro Trump cheers at the police week events past few years have been deafening (and sickening to him..and he used to self identify as Republican)

hutch

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2020, 01:05:29 pm »
We might want to look at what post apartheid South Africa did...to learn some lessons..do’s and don’ts

South Africa has to be the closest case to us..after all we ended our apartheid in the 1960s and they did in the 1990s..of course in their case the majority is black

We may wish to compel our largest businesses to pay a one time “reparations tax” (call it something else) and spend the money on creating opportunities for blacks and spending trillions to bring inner cities back.

Space Freely

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2020, 01:37:36 pm »
My sister-in-law, who dates a Chicago cop (Latino, not that it matters) , wore a "Property of Chicago Police Department" shirt out in public last week. She caught an elbow from someone while in a store and challenged that person to a fight. Challenge went unaccepted.

Not the brightest one in the family....

Space Freely

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2020, 01:38:43 pm »
The real crime is how terrible that monument is. It looks like he’s beating children and holding a Bible aloft while doing it.

can confirm

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2020, 02:33:27 pm »
I inadvertently wore my 2008 Police tour shirt last week and went out to pick up some beer.  Felt self-conscious the whole time :(

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2020, 03:21:20 pm »
I have a t-shirt that says Vote Whig
“They couldn’t possibly be worse” was wearing the other day and realized it probably wasn’t sending the ironic message I viewed it as having.  Probably a boat load of old racists there...
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2020, 03:55:19 pm »

This button is on my book bag. It was swag that came with the reissue of this:

😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2020, 05:01:45 pm »
^ or are you admitting to being a follower of QAnon?!?!?
<sig>

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2020, 05:09:11 pm »
things are changing quick...
The Atlanta officer who fatally shot Rayshard Brooks in the back after the fleeing man pointed a stun gun in his direction will be charged with felony murder and 10 other charges. Possible sentences include life without parole or death penalty.

Even if we had the video in March 2020...this would have not had the same result
slack