Author Topic: How to end systemic racism?  (Read 26342 times)

hutch

Re: How to end systemic racism?
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2020, 06:05:13 pm »
It’s way worse than that! Cotton said slavery was a “necessary evil”!

Space Freely

« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2020, 09:11:46 am »
It’s way worse than that! Cotton said slavery was a “necessary evil”!

Perhaps we should make him pick cotton and whip his ass.

I hope this doesn't denigrate this thread, but the mention of cotton made me think of this story....

When my grandfather (from GA) was 7, his dad remarried (his mom had died), and his new mom pulled my grandfather and his siblings out of school and made them go work full time in the cotton fields...while leaving her own children in school. My grandfather, with only a second grade education, never did learn how to read or write. He eventually ran away from home in his early teen years, and lived as a hobo on trains for a while in the 30's.

But he did manage to marry up. My grandmother (from TN) made it through eighth grade. Her schooling stopped when her one room schoolhouse burned down. Apparently that was a decent education back then, as she eventually taught school at one point in her working career.

I hope I'm remembering that correctly. It may have been tobacco fields instead of cotton, I'm not sure.

But I digress. My grandfather was a complete piece of racist shit who abused everyone in his path. I wonder what he would have been if his dad hadn't remarried the wicked stepmom.

« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2020, 09:29:25 am »
and lived as a hobo on trains for a while in the 30's.
Now the pieces of your origin story are coming together, this needs its own thread ;)
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2020, 11:04:35 am »
It was a no-go for this hobo.

hutch

« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2020, 11:59:00 am »
So it’s a fake story?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2020, 12:55:56 pm »
Now the pieces of your origin story are coming together, this needs its own thread ;)
Maybe frugalness is genetic.
LVMH

« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2020, 02:38:47 pm »
I know we kinda went off the rails on this thread (bah-dum-siss)
but this seemed relevant

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 02:40:22 pm by Jesus will destroy 9:30's Servers »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2020, 02:57:35 pm »
Maybe frugalness is genetic.

Not quite. My grandfather wore the same  one 10 cent shirt that he handwashed over and over. Whereas my closet is overflowing with thrift store purchases. He was also a germaphobe and refused to eat at restaurants. I had no problem eating at restaurants before COVID.

Now my other grandfather, he died an alcoholic at 52. I wish i knew more about him, he probably had an interesting story too. But my dad never talked about his family that much.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2020, 03:52:23 pm »
Good Humor and RZA join forces

“Turkey in the Straw” is one of the most iconic ice cream truck jingles today. However, many people don’t realize that this familiar tune has racist roots.

Turkey in the Straw’s melody originated from British and Irish folk songs, which had no racial connotations. But the song itself was first performed (and gained popularity) in American minstrel shows in the 1800s. Some songs using its same melody contained highly offensive, racist lyrics.

As we mark Good Humor’s 100th anniversary this year, we must acknowledge the history of the ice cream truck jingle, and take action to ensure ice cream trucks across the country continue to spread joy to everyone for the next 100 years.

So, we’ve teamed up with legendary rapper, music producer and founding member of the Wu-Tang Clan, RZA, to reimagine the ice cream truck jingle for a new era – a melody that brings joy to every community. We’re making this song available to ice cream truck drivers nationwide and providing education on how to replace “Turkey in the Straw” in their music boxes.

« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2020, 04:01:37 pm »
Saw that RZA ice cream truck thing the other day and had no idea what was going on
good to know
slack

vansmack

« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2020, 07:07:29 pm »
I am quite pleased I was away for all of this. 

You all need to read White Fragility: Why it's so Hard for White People to Talk About Racism.
27>34

« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2020, 05:05:46 pm »
Since we don't have a thread called how to NOT end systemic racism

I'll put this here (gotta watch the vid)
https://twitter.com/KunkleFredrick/status/1298344285079838720
Fredrick Kunkle WaPo@KunkleFredrick
1) In a scene that played out several times Monday, a Black Lives Matter protest that began in Columbia Heights confronted White diners outside D.C. restaurants,  chanting “White silence is violence!” and demanding White diners show their solidarity. #DCProtests
slack

hutch

« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2020, 05:17:36 pm »
The next step is a $ contribution for being white...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2020, 08:54:12 am »
Since we don't have a thread called how to NOT end systemic racism

I'll put this here (gotta watch the vid)
https://twitter.com/KunkleFredrick/status/1298344285079838720
Fredrick Kunkle WaPo@KunkleFredrick
1) In a scene that played out several times Monday, a Black Lives Matter protest that began in Columbia Heights confronted White diners outside D.C. restaurants,  chanting “White silence is violence!” and demanding White diners show their solidarity. #DCProtests

i  can't believe this has become a thing....
T.Rex