Author Topic: Replacing RBG  (Read 6118 times)

hutch

Re: Replacing RBG
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 10:45:57 pm »
Frustrating beyond words

I don’t know all the legalese or issues

Monday is only 43 or so days from election

That’s really less than 40 days when you factor weekend before election... that’s not enough time or is it

They could try to fill it after election but before inauguration but all sorts of issues there

I hear if Kelly wins he gets sworn in November 30?!

It’s a mess

Never mind implications like they are hearing a case on Obamacare soon

Or Supremes May have to decide thorny election issues that determine election result

This really could push us to a civil war scenario with Trump happily lighting the fire

The country didn’t need this

WALKonBack

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 11:02:43 pm »
Claire McCaskill just tweeted an interesting thought:

Everyone take a deep breath. McConnell wants power. Period. Forcing this vote before Nov 3 guarantees he loses the Senate. Forcing this vote lame duck probably loses them more seats in 2022. (Portman,Toomey,Rubio,Iowa, etc).

hutch

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 08:58:12 am »
I was hoping it was a nightmare

hutch

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 10:28:35 am »
The whole argument that if they ram through new Supreme Court justice they lose politically (Senate, maybe Trump) is bogus wishful thinking ..did they lose with Merrick?

Having said that I just don’t think they have enough time before Nov 3..How many working days are there? 30???

And after, if Trump loses, could be even harder...

But I think this is politically helpful to Trump...his base will reenergize and some Catholics and evangelicals will consolidate behind him

It’s just not helpful to Biden...anything that takes away attention from covid or Trump’s insanity is not helpful

I can’t see this energizing liberals ? I mean am I more energized, no..we are already energized

I feel rather defeated..like why the fuck does everything have to be so damn hard and go against us

hutch

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 10:38:00 am »
There are 30 working days
Of course Mitch could use weekends?

But assuming not...some senators are campaigning for re-election, have debates etc

Obviously confirmation can’t start Monday

So 29 days or less in the middle of a very contentious general election

It’s just really tight

I read the average confirmation takes 71 days...

Also will be interesting who wants to be nominated in this climate...who wants to potentially be the next Merrick Garland?

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 10:53:57 am »
I can’t see this energizing liberals ?
I don't know, seems anecdotal so far, but I think it has
TBT, most of those people were pretty energized

I think they raised like $12mil last night between 9-11PM
There has been a big effort to throw money at likely Senate flips too
but we'll see

I agree, can't trust any of the GOP and they will try...and use it for fundraising
slack

hutch

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 11:01:01 am »
So we raised some money

You weren’t energized before?

Am so tired of people throwing $ numbers as if it means that much...money helps but not hugely so

$12 million is NOTHING

I mean Biden raised $365 million last month

It pays for ads people largely tune Out...you know this!

Of course largely highly energized relatively (yes I like adverbs) wealthy white Jewish women are energized and chipped in last night right after RBG died but they were voting Biden anyways

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 12:37:18 pm »

$12 million is NOTHING
agreed, just a drop in the bucket, but biden's haul in Aug was amost entirley based on people were waiting for the DNC to finalize the nomination

Also the number  is closer to 31 mil
https://www.boisestatepublicradio.org/post/democrats-raised-more-30-million-following-rbgs-death
According to the constantly-ticking tracker on ActBlue's website, in the hours from 9 p.m. ET, when the news of Ginsburg's death became widely known, to 9 a.m. ET on Saturday, nearly $31 million was donated to Democratic candidates and causes.

I don't think money changes every thing (i.e. jeb bush) but with Bloomies $100mill and this new injection of cash, it realy helps target the ''gettable' wins
Unfortunately, to Julies dismay, it looks like people are throwing a lot of money at Amy in KY
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 12:44:15 pm by Heat Ray Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2020, 02:08:54 pm »
I have to be honest, this is the first time in the Covid/2020 era that I have had actual mental health struggles. I am having a hard time right now. This was the straw that broke the camels back.
LVMH

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 02:20:31 pm »
And I wasn’t an RBG fanboy. All the “Boss Bitch” iconography people want to attach to her should’ve always went to SS, an actual WOC who hires non-white clerks, was to the left of RBG on issues, and wasn’t friends with (the currently burning in hell) Antonin Scalia.

But this death resets everything. It’s Trumps reëlection wet dream. It all but assures I will not see a democratic majority in the Supreme Court until my 60s at best. This is hard.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2020, 02:51:58 pm »
Totally with you on the RBG cult...

The whole Scalia friendship thing is frightening (it’s spun into a positive but I don’t understand it.. it’s not how I live my life) as is the elephant in the room absolutely nobody wants to talk about: why did she overstay and threaten everything she fought for? We really need age limits or something has to change with Supreme Court..too many dropping dead on job

Sorry you are having a tough go.. it’s a tough time... one wonders why is it so hard to be a supporter of liberalism in this country? Why such a tough and seemingly losing battle when all one pretends is basic human and civil rights for all Americans .. It shouldn’t be this hard!

We have been having a tough time too and are going through some shit...this just makes it seem more hopeless

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2020, 03:35:10 pm »
Yeah, I’m discouraged.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2020, 05:18:54 pm »
And I guess I was too optimistic -a rarity for me- regarding her replacement as Lindsay says never mind what he said they are plowing ahead.

I expect an announcement regarding Justice Barrett’s nomination this week and confirmation hearings soon.

I don’t agree with many about the viability of packing the court or adding states etc. I just don’t see any of that happening.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 05:25:09 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2020, 05:21:37 pm »
Pray for Breyer!!!

hutch

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2020, 05:26:26 pm »
It’s just amazing that this sack of shit gets three in four years...Obama got two in eight!

And I was off..to avoid a 50-50 tie we need FOUR GOP senators to vote not to confirm

Even assuming Romney, Collins and Murkowski we would still need another...

Looks pretty dark

Basically Grassley is the only hope and well...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 05:36:08 pm by hutch »