Author Topic: Official 930 Supreme Court thread  (Read 31360 times)

Re: Official 930 Supreme Court thread
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2022, 05:25:20 pm »
one thing that always blows my mind is 80 Million eligible American voters just don't vote

we have to find a way to make it simple/fair/verifiable to vote...that 100% should be the #1 priority of every state and local dem parties
it's the most important thing, nothing comes after if we can't fix this
and this is a State thing...not a federal thing, so the effort needs to be well planned as each state has it's own weirdness
slack

Starsky

« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2022, 05:35:47 pm »
I would argue the opposite

We desperately need to find a way to make less people vote.

When more people come out to vote you get Trump. In the 1820s we went from having less people to more people vote and the US went from one of our greatest periods to the Jacksonian age and some pretty bad leadership in the 1840s and 50s that led to the civil war.

Unless we can find a way to smarten people up the last thing we need is everyone voting. Have you seen the average American?

« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2022, 05:40:08 pm »
next you are going to start promoting eugenics
slack

Starsky

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2022, 05:45:03 pm »
No but this is meant to be a republic.

I mean what are you saying? If every person voted it would be a Bernie Sanders paradise?

This is America. Get to know it and accept what is before your eyes. Don’t lie to yourself.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2022, 07:20:50 pm »
What’s odd is democrats have in my lifetime been the “make voting easier and more ubiquitous” and the GOP has tried to make people thread a needle to vote. (Trump famously said “if everyone votes, the Republicans will never win another election.”)

But here we find Starsky, a Dem, with a totally different contrarian view.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2022, 07:23:07 pm »

You find this odd?  If find it on brand.
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2022, 07:28:45 pm »
No pun intended?

Ok, Dick's. Now pull out of anti-abortion states.
I don't think he meant too...but that's a great pun on this topic

Would make a great head line

Dicks pulls out
Yes pun intended. Give me some credit man.

« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2022, 07:38:56 pm »
Yes pun intended. Give me some credit man.
Ok, my bad and welll played
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2022, 08:00:07 pm »

You find this odd?  If find it on brand.
The Julian voice of reason can only pour it on but so thickly before it seems like a vendetta.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2022, 08:28:54 pm »
while I vote Democrat I don’t subscribe to everything the party stands for…the key to winning elections - D or R -is helping those that would vote for you to actually do so….. it’s not helping those that would vote against you to do so…my interest level in helping insurrection supporting deplorables vote is nil

Do we want to win elections, appoint reasonably sane justices and accomplish things or not?

never been convinced that if everyone voted it would benefit democrats or the country. But many Democrats throw that around like gospel with the baby argument that most people that don’t vote are poorer so would vote Democratic but we know this isn’t true. I know of countries were people must vote or face big fines and it hasn’t turned out very well.

We have had very high turnout recently and are getting pretty close to becoming an authoritarian state.

To quote an often used phrase the key toa functioning democracy  is not just the quantity of votes but the quality of the voting

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 08:59:57 pm by Starsky »

« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2022, 07:30:41 am »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2022, 11:10:13 am »
“When we think about the United States, we make the essential error of imagining it as a single nation, a marbled mix of Red and Blue people,” Podhorzer writes. “But in truth, we have never been one nation. We are more like a federated republic of two nations: Blue Nation and Red Nation. This is not a metaphor; it is a geographic and historical reality.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2022/...l-podhorzer-newsletter/661377/

It seems unlikely that the Trump-era Republicans installing the policy priorities of their preponderantly white and Christian coalition across the red states will be satisfied just setting the rules in the places now under their control. Podhorzer, like Mason and Grumbach, believes that the MAGA movement’s long-term goal is to tilt the electoral rules in enough states to make winning Congress or the White House almost impossible for Democrats. Then, with support from the GOP-appointed majority on the Supreme Court, Republicans could impose red-state values and programs nationwide, even if most Americans oppose them. The “MAGA movement is not stopping at the borders of the states it already controls,” Podhorzer writes. “It seeks to conquer as much territory as possible by any means possible.”

Starsky

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2022, 11:45:44 am »
If you had asked me a few years ago - say before the Merrick Garland debacle- if Roe v Wade would be overturned I would have said never. Until these wacky set of events starting with Scalia dying suddenly, Trump threading the needle, Kennedy retiring, RBG dying etc I just didn’t see it as possible. I mean of course I knew RBG could die but having these four events take place within four or five years seemed incredibly unlikely but here we are….

I think I and many Americans are in shock at this point and there is just a feeling of powerlessness and inevitability to all of it and it just feels like one is watching a horror movie.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 11:50:26 am by Starsky »

Space Freely

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2022, 12:15:44 pm »
If you had asked me a few years ago - say before the Merrick Garland debacle- if Roe v Wade would be overturned I would have said never. Until these wacky set of events starting with Scalia dying suddenly, Trump threading the needle, Kennedy retiring, RBG dying etc I just didn’t see it as possible. I mean of course I knew RBG could die but having these four events take place within four or five years seemed incredibly unlikely but here we are….

I think I and many Americans are in shock at this point and there is just a feeling of powerlessness and inevitability to all of it and it just feels like one is watching a horror movie.

Christians would say these minor miracles are all part of God's Plan.

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2022, 12:20:42 pm »
“It seeks to conquer as much territory as possible by any means possible.”
I 100% believe that is true...they feel like that is what the Dems/liberals are doing to them now and Liberal tears bring them so much joy

Christians would say these minor miracles are all part of God's Plan.
with this reasoning, why do they even need to vote, there is no free will
slack