Author Topic: Dropping off Spotify  (Read 8024 times)

Cock Van Der Palm

Re: Dropping off Spotify
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2022, 03:28:23 pm »
Nerd

:)
This isn't 1999 with an mp3 that's been ripped five different ways at 192kp.
I just remembered people re-encoding 128kp mp3s to 320 being a thing and I enjoyed the chuckle down memory lane.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2022, 05:08:22 pm »
I still don't understand how Spotify doesn't even support lossless since it was supposed to launch [checks notes] summer of last year.

I'm sure your ears can easily spot the difference between 320 kbps and lossless... another moot point in the streaming services battle.

Audiophiles care about these things.

spotify, and other streaming services, care about staying in business.  audiophiles are a very small, and shrinking, market.  the number of homes that have a setup wherein 320 vs. loseless is audible (and the listeners can both hear and care about the difference) is vanishingly small. 

It's literally why Quboz exists as a service.

since spotify already offers 320kbit/s to paying members, i seriously doubt there is a business case for them to go loseless. 
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2022, 05:24:52 pm »

since spotify already offers 320kbit/s to paying members, i seriously doubt there is a business case for them to go loseless.

for guys like brettnotbritt that have the hearing of a bat.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2022, 05:47:18 pm »

for guys like brettnotbritt that have the hearing of a bat.

Nope, my horn tweeters would automatically disqualify me from that discussion. I just have a friend who is an actual audiophile with a five figure DAC and crazy expensive speakers that would scoff at the notion of subscribing to lossy audio services. It's a niche demographic, but again, services like Qobuz and Tidal heavily appeal to them because of access to those higher quality streams.

Space Freely

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2022, 05:58:25 pm »
Neil Young blamed homosexuals for AIDS:
In an interview with Melody Maker in 1985, Neil Young backed Reagan’s gun control policies and said of AIDS, “You go to a supermarket and you see a faggot behind the fuckin’ cash register, you don’t want him to handle your potatoes.” Needless to say, Young almost certainly regrets that horrific statement and quickly moved away from right-wing politics. He wrote the furious anti-George H.W. Bush screed “Rockin’ in the Free World” in 1989 and was one of George W. Bush’s most vocal critics in the 2000s.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/michelle-shocked-not-the-first-artist-to-betray-her-fanbase-87622/

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2022, 06:19:30 pm »
the rogan defenders are jumping on this like white on rice  (is that offensive?)

I was shocked, when I saw your link, that people were still talking about Michelle Shocked (jeff tweedy cousin I think?) but the article is from 2013

also, could have cross posted in the potato's in the news thread

also they are cherry picking the quote...here is the full quote: https://www.angelfire.com/rock2/traces/pages/legend.html

With half the material for a follow-up album to Old Ways already in the can, Young is in the middle of a renaissance of sorts. Not even the AIDS terror can dent his confidence.

"It is scary. You go to the supermarket and you see a faggot behind the fuckin' cash register. You don't want him to handle your potatoes. It's true! It's paranoid but that's the way it is even though it's not just gay people, they're taking the rap. There's a lotta religious people, of course, who feel that this is God's work. God's saying, y'know, "no more buttfucking or we're gonna getcha'."

Young cackled dementedly. "I don't know what it is. It's natural, that's one thing about it. It's a living organism or virus, whatever it is. I hope they find something to stop it. It's worse than the Killer Bees."

Young obviously isn't making a play for the Gay vote. They probably don't hold with that sort of thing in the country.

He was right on one thing, AIDS was definitely worse than the Killer Bees

although these guys could arguably be worse
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 06:31:54 pm by slightly different Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2022, 07:34:00 pm »
For the record, Michelle Shocked is the cousin of Max Johnston, who was in Uncle Tupelo and early Wilco. She is no relation to Jeff Tweedy.

Starsky

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2022, 08:01:08 pm »
It’s all covered in the Shakey biography

Like many liberals after the Carter catastrophe he went through a brief Reagan flirtation….

I give him a lot of latitude because of what was going on in his life with his new kid….when something like that happens you can lose the plot a bit for a while

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2022, 08:01:37 pm »
<sig>

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2022, 09:34:27 pm »
https://www.angelfire.com/rock2/traces/pages/legend.html

ah yes, angelfire... as an information source it's a notch above geocities, but still not at the level of blogspot.
while i think it’s a funny throwback, I do think it is a copy of the original melody maker article everyone is referencing
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2022, 10:54:19 pm »
our stupid band gets close to a million monthly streams on spotify. spotify pays out .003 cents per stream. 100% of that goes to our former label sony who is a part owner of spotify. this is why i’m mad

https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1488158473028202496?t=IYTI-UoEmpQhl4ysAuN90A&s=19

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2022, 11:58:51 am »
Graham Nash joins in the leaving Spotify

conspiracy theory alert!!!

some heavy hitter must have told Spotify privately they would leave the service over Covid Misinformation, what else explains their abrupt policy shift over the weekend.

while symbolic Neil's stance is still to be lauded.. and is helping amplify how shitty artists are treated on Spotify
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2022, 12:03:59 pm »
India Arie leaves over the discussions about race that occurred last week on that podcast...

T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2022, 12:33:56 pm »
Has anyone checked in on David Crosby or Steven Stills? What is this is all just media ploy to hype a forthcoming CSNY reunion? The mind boggles at the possibilities.
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2022, 01:09:10 pm »
Has anyone checked in on David Crosby or Steven Stills? What is this is all just media ploy to hype a forthcoming CSNY reunion? The mind boggles at the possibilities.

in case of crosby i think it's a case of if he could he would... seeing as CSN&Y is still on the site
T.Rex