Author Topic: Dropping off Spotify  (Read 8036 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Dropping off Spotify
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2022, 01:15:43 pm »
some heavy hitter must have told Spotify privately they would leave the service over Covid Misinformation, what else explains their abrupt policy shift over the weekend.

Members bailing, stock price plummeting. Oh, and Graham Nash.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2022, 02:34:15 pm »
Adam Bates
The way the right weaponizes its victimhood complex would be funny if it weren't so dangerous. Just listening to rightwingers talk about this Spotify thing, I can't help but notice how much victim language they use in situations without any actual victim.
Neil Young did not attempt to "silence" Joe Rogan. Neil Young doesn't have, has never had, and will never have the power to silence Joe Rogan. If Spotify booted Joe Rogan, he would not be silenced. He would go to another platform or self-publish his podcast. That is the opposite of silent.
It is not "censorship" for a private actor to refuse to associate with another private actor he finds repugnant. It is not "an assault on free speech" for a private actor to refuse to associate with another private actor he finds repugnant.
What the right calls "free speech" is in reality the obliteration of free association.
Listening to these people characterize an entirely private dispute between two contractors and an employer like it's the goddamn Stasi closing down a newspaper is otherworldly.
These people are so desperate to be victims that they turn every single benign dispute into an attempt at martyrdom. You could write a book about this. Of course they'd probably have their schoolboards ban it.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2022, 02:58:51 pm »
policy shift over the weekend.

Policy shift?   

We're going to make our standards policy public and put some sort of warning before podcasts that might contain misinformation.  And Joe posts a half apology on a competing platform and will "try to do better."

That's what happened this weekend.  The strategy is called "long-play" until this leaves the news cycle.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2022, 03:18:54 pm »
policy shift over the weekend.

Policy shift?   

We're going to make our standards policy public and put some sort of warning before podcasts that might contain misinformation.  And Joe posts a half apology on a competing platform and will "try to do better."

That's what happened this weekend.  The strategy is called "long-play" until this leaves the news cycle.

ok my conspiracy theory was really half baked\poorly created, aren't most of them :D
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2022, 03:23:16 pm »
Has David Crosby not pulled his stuff? He is always complaining about Spotify and getting robbed

Maybe he is ok now that he sold his publishing

And Neil and him are on the outs ever since bigmouth Crosby called Darryl Hannah a gold digger (he did the same with Nash who now also hates him)

This is a gimme: support Neil and you might be on the way to that big CSNY reunion paycheck otherwise get used to the Birchmere food

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2022, 05:15:53 pm »
Crosby is no saint but he apologized numerous times to NY and is contrite about his past issues and difficulties he placed on others.

Nash is an egotistical dick and if you read his book you'd probably agree.

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2022, 05:26:52 pm »
what about Stills, does no one even care

Saw martin guitar posted a pic of him and said it was david crosby
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2022, 06:31:39 pm »
because sticking it to the man by making nothing instead of $6 a month is SO METAL

Failure Are Removing Their Music From Spotify: “It’s Been a Scam for Artists Since the Beginning”
<sig>

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2022, 06:33:45 pm »
because sticking it to the man by making nothing instead of $6 a month is SO METAL

Failure Are Removing Their Music From Spotify: “It’s Been a Scam for Artists Since the Beginning”
good band name for a band no one has heard of or cares about
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2022, 06:40:19 pm »
list of artists now (or soon to be) off spotify:
- Neil
- Joni
- Nils Lofgren
- Brené Brown
- Wendy Zukerman and Blythe Terrell
- India Arie
- G.Nash
- Failure!!!
<sig>

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2022, 06:47:55 pm »
Other than neil and joni, this is a pretty weak list
slack

Starsky

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2022, 10:49:15 pm »
Well Joni and Neil are top ten songwriters so

Joni is arguably the only one who has gotten close to Bob… that may be hyperbolic but it’s the way I see it

I think of Leonard Cohen as more of a poet…like Robert Hunter..

Obviously Spotify has the artists by the balls…most I don’t think even have the power to get their music off Spotify. The record companies do

It’s a bummer that more musicians aren’t taking a stand but it’s good that Neil has set a precedent for holding Spotify accountable for its podcast content

Starsky

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2022, 12:11:36 am »
I think of Leonard Cohen as more of a poet…like Robert Hunter..

i spent a minute trying to find the quote and failed, but: i remember reading an interview with LC and he said, paraphrasing, that "people portray me as a poet, but i'm really just a singer with a guitar" - essentially, the opposite of what you're proposing.  YMMV, obviously.
<sig>

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2022, 01:42:22 pm »
so Neil's music is 50% owned by Hipgnosis, haven't heard squat about that
https://www.asktraders.com/analysis/does-hipgnosis-actually-own-the-neil-young-songs-in-spotify-row/
But this then calls into question that ownership by Hipgnosis of 50% of the Neil Young catalogue. This isn’t, after all, a revenue maximising move. So, does Hipgnosis really own the song rights, in that they can do as they wish with them? Promote, enhance the value? Or are they merely residual cash collectors. After the songwriters decide what they want to happen, Hipgnosis just gets a share of whatever income there is? That is, is the idea that Hipgnosis can increase the cashflow through management something that Neil Young has just disproven in this row with Spotify?

their stock is going down...maybe a good time to get in?
slack