Author Topic: 2022 - dems in disarray thread  (Read 97633 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
LVMH

vansmack

Re: 2022 - dems in disarray thread
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2022, 12:52:38 pm »
Hilarious typo.

Haha.  And I won't correct it.
27>34

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2022, 05:34:00 pm »
Ok, odd person to get this quote from, but it tracks

Paula Poundstone@paulapoundstone

I heard a frustrated Democrat on the radio say, "We voted in 2020." That's like saying, "I fed the baby yesterday."
slack

Starsky

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2022, 06:07:25 pm »
It’s actually not.

I don’t remember Biden saying vote for Democrats and give us majority in Senate and House and I will have no way of passing any laws or doing more than managing the federal bureaucracy because Manchin and Sinema are wusses.

People are tired of marching and voting and not seeing much for their troubles…

It’s just a really weak argument on Biden’s part… i mean look at abortion…everyone knew this was coming..a proactive president could have organized a bunch of measures to help women who need an abortion in states where abortion was made illegal with the ruling. Yet they had absolutely nothing

It’s kind of pitiful

« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 06:10:47 pm by Starsky »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2022, 10:43:17 am »
This just in Biden signs an executive order

“Protecting Access to Reproductive Health Care Services”

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1545363309469343744?s=20&t=Qv8b1keTeVM9f6ByNQ-kBA

Just skimming the highlights this looks comprehensive...
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2022, 10:48:03 am »

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1545363309469343744?s=20&t=Qv8b1keTeVM9f6ByNQ-kBA

And that’s great but it should have been done the same day the Supreme Court ruled.

It’s all so lackadaisical. Like the Biden ruling on student loans! Seriously just do what you want and move on. Instead they been kicking the decision down the road as far as they can. There is no urgency. Say what you want about Trump but every day he was coming out with bold moves (I disagreed with all of them). What is Biden waiting for?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2022, 11:17:30 am »

And that’s great but it should have been done the same day the Supreme Court ruled.

It’s all so lackadaisical. Like the Biden ruling on student loans! Seriously just do what you want and move on. Instead they been kicking the decision down the road as far as they can. There is no urgency. Say what you want about Trump but every day he was coming out with bold moves (I disagreed with all of them). What is Biden waiting for?

Seriously the BOLD moves were all designed to appease the White Supremists and did little more than further  divide this country.  Name one bold action that actual made a difference as they all got wiped away by Biden on day one.  45** only serious legislative accomplishment was lower the taxes on the wealth.  He was all talk on any of the important issues.

and the whole student loan forgiveness thing is a rapidly growing tiresome "progressive" caucus cause, that was a bright shiny object for a couple months...

I for one am very glad we aren't coping with another daily scandal coming out of the whitehouse, now it's just a bunch of whiny progressives...
T.Rex

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2022, 11:30:07 am »
and the whole student loan forgiveness thing is a rapidly growing tiresome "progressive" caucus cause, that was a bright shiny object for a couple months...
They really need to drop this narrative and feel OK on what they have already done

it's such a loser issue, in that 2/3rd of American's don't go to college and are not going to get this loan forgiveness
but are probably dealing with their own crushing debt

we can't keep giving the R's such good stuff to get independents with
slack

« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2022, 11:45:03 am »
it's such a loser issue, in that 2/3rd of American's don't go to college and are not going to get this loan forgiveness
but are probably dealing with their own crushing debt

I'm all for student loan forgiveness -- full disclosure: I neither have nor have ever had any student loan debt, so lets get my biases out in the open right up front -- and think the arguments against it are mostly ass. That said, it's a classic example of a "right thing to do" where its just so unpopular and poorly messaged that it just absolutely gives the other side a field day.

If you're a person who didn't go to college because you couldn't afford it and didn't want to saddle your family with debt, you SHOULD still be on board with debt forgiveness, but the reality is NO ONE WHO FALLS INTO THAT BUCKET WILL BE. Its such a loser idea -- it costs us votes. It further fuels the narrative that poor, rural Trump whites who have real economic discomfort get nothing from a Dem agenda on wiping out upper-middle-class people's kids debts and tells them how privileged they are to be white and poor instead of black and poor.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2022, 11:48:32 am »
Ok great but make a decision and do it

I really don’t care what

Why you need 18 months to do something?

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2022, 11:50:04 am »
Ok great but make a decision and do it

I really don’t care what

Why you need 18 months to do something?
Yeah, this is correct as well. Do it or don't, announce it, and say you're done. Don't let a one-day story become a one-week story, as they say. Or in this case an 18-month one. Like you are able to shut off the oxygen around this topic prettay, prettay, prettay effectively if you're Joe Biden (aside from insular progressive social media spheres that were never going to stop talking about this until Harvard is burnt to the ground and all colleges are free and spots are selected by random lottery).
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2022, 12:15:31 pm »
beating this already dead horse but

The U.S. Department of Education canceled about $5.8 billion in outstanding student loans for more than 560,000 borrowers in the largest single loan forgiveness action taken by the government to date

This was for students of Corinthian College a for profit outfit that ensnared lots of lower income students in massive debt, etc.  and didn't delivery on their promises...

So quite frankly Student Loan forgiveness should be targeted and not across the board...
T.Rex

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2022, 12:25:39 pm »
Corinthian College
yeah this was a good one
corrupt for profit school screwed a lot of people trying to get into the trades
the Dems should trumpet this one as it's helping 'non-college' types

I guess my question is, did the owners of this company have to chip in for this forgiveness?
seems like they were the negligent ones, not the gov't
slack

vansmack

« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2022, 03:34:52 pm »
I guess my question is, did the owners of this company have to chip in for this forgiveness?
seems like they were the negligent ones, not the gov't

Haha, no.  They were fined $30m by the Dept of Ed, weren't able to pay because they were already under water, and promptly closed down filing Chapter 11.  They were bought in the Chapter 11 by several regional groups.
27>34

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2022, 04:39:47 pm »
Haha, no. 
It was kind of rhetorical, I assumed what you said is pretty much what happened
Sad because the tax payers footed the bill here, I think that those associated with should have done some jail time
slack