Author Topic: 2022 - dems in disarray thread  (Read 96971 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: 2022 - dems in disarray thread
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2022, 01:39:31 pm »
But there is a big difference: Trump is a gifted politician…

if by gifted politician you mean "able to get elected by being the right guy at the right time and place", sure.  he's a great campaigner.  he knows how to get the headlines, how to get his face on the front page.  continuously.

but when i think of a gifted politician, i think of what they do after they get elected: pass and/or enforce laws, improve collective cohesion, chart an innovative direction for the country, motivate the public to be better, generally make our lives better, etc.  in that regard, trump failed abysmally.  he was the worse "politician" ever to hold national office.  he will go down as the worse president in american history.
<sig>

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2022, 01:59:14 pm »
I agree with Hutch, he is one of the greatest politician in our lifetimes
I say that and I can't stand anything about him

I wish one could rate politicians on what they actually do once elected, but means absolutely nothing if you can't get the voters to the polls
Trump was able to create a collation of the crazy on the right, and it worked
Joe only won by a thin margin
After 4 years of scorched earth politics, Trump was able to get 11 Million more voters to the polls
He was able to connect with voters in a way that I've never seen

I look at some of the High School friends I foolishly stay in contact with.  They could care less about politics their whole life, but 4 years ago would post things like "I love my president" and join flag waving convos of trucks/boats

That's a powerful movement and you are right, it was the right place at the right time
but I still don't think another person could have done it

Ultimately we need a to find a way to find a middle ground with those voters, because after Trump is dead, they will certainly still be there looking for the next Trump

The only silver lining is no one can take his mantle at this point, there are a lot of people trying...but I don't anticipate any of them being as successful as he was
With that, if Trump is not on the ticket, then maybe those voters stay home as they weren't that interested in politics prior

he will go down as the worse president in American history.
100% ,but there are 75 million Americans who think the exact opposite.  So no matter how you frame that, you are never going to win them over with that argument

Trump put himself out there for Oz so him losing would have been a slap in the face
true, but what about Madison...I can't believe Trump continued to support him to the bitter end.  Don't you think that looked bad for Trump support?

I think Madison will probably get a job in the Trump org or OANN. So unfortunately not the last we'll hear from him, at least he is not an elected official any more
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 02:02:57 pm by Side toad poison ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2022, 02:18:47 pm »
What’s more — as is obviously true in other mediums, but can be strangely overlooked in political campaigns — presentation is often as important as content.

while I'm a policy wonk...most voters, especially the independent voters...don't give two shits about policy.   Dems need to learn from this and connect with all voters

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/05/18/democrats-less-boring-emotional-reaction-00033382
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2022, 02:20:26 pm »
Trump put himself out there for Oz so him losing would have been a slap in the face
true, but what about Madison...I can't believe Trump continued to support him to the bitter end.  Don't you think that looked bad for Trump support?

I think Madison will probably get a job in the Trump org or OANN. So unfortunately not the last we'll hear from him, at least he is not an elected official any more

I did have to wonder if Madison had some dirt on Trump that led to his endorsement...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2022, 02:46:44 pm »
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2022, 03:03:31 pm »
I mean politician in terms of connecting with voters.

Trump has no peer. He literally will lie to his voters and they know he is lying and he knows they know he is lying and they still love him and vote for him.

Incredible

Moreover the way he took over the Republican Party and vanquished his political adversaries strains credulity. Paul Ryan?

How about the way he tore Jeb, Rubio, Cruz apart? Practically made them cry…

Yeah he’s a hell of a good politician

Of course Democrats want to think he is dumb or lucky or going to jail or whatever

Space Freely

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2022, 03:11:22 pm »
I agree with Hutch, he is one of the greatest politician in our lifetimes
I say that and I can't stand anything about him

I wish one could rate politicians on what they actually do once elected, but means absolutely nothing if you can't get the voters to the polls
Trump was able to create a collation of the crazy on the right, and it worked
Joe only won by a thin margin
After 4 years of scorched earth politics, Trump was able to get 11 Million more voters to the polls
He was able to connect with voters in a way that I've never seen

I look at some of the High School friends I foolishly stay in contact with.  They could care less about politics their whole life, but 4 years ago would post things like "I love my president" and join flag waving convos of trucks/boats

That's a powerful movement and you are right, it was the right place at the right time
but I still don't think another person could have done it

Ultimately we need a to find a way to find a middle ground with those voters, because after Trump is dead, they will certainly still be there looking for the next Trump

The only silver lining is no one can take his mantle at this point, there are a lot of people trying...but I don't anticipate any of them being as successful as he was
With that, if Trump is not on the ticket, then maybe those voters stay home as they weren't that interested in politics prior

he will go down as the worse president in American history.
100% ,but there are 75 million Americans who think the exact opposite.  So no matter how you frame that, you are never going to win them over with that argument

Or maybe they'll just go back to not caring. And watching cars drive circles around tracks.

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2022, 06:06:47 pm »
while Trump is still endorsing plenty of Republicans in safe primaries, he is also making some riskier endorsements — some of which have panned out, and some of which haven’t. So far this cycle, 62 of the 65 candidates Trump has endorsed for Senate, House or governor (and whose races have been called) have won. Keep in mind, though, that 95 percent win rate is only slightly lower than his 98 percent win rate in 2020. Even if the cycle goes south for Trump personally, though, his illiberal vision is clearly winning out within the Republican Party

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/pa-nc-primary-elections-2022/
slack

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2022, 02:25:46 pm »
it's hard to trust a billionaire who says he worries about the little guy...when you know he really doesn't

inflation is a regressive tax that most hurts the least affluent
not that it isn't true, just seems disingenuous
slack

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2022, 01:39:57 pm »
anyone taking bets that MTG might lose her primary today??

although the GQP isn't leaking all those spicy vids like they did for Madison

this is also in her favor Greene has raised more than $9.2 million

Greene faces five GOP challengers in her primary, the best-funded of which is political newcomer Jennifer Strahan, owner of a health care consulting business.
Strahan has raised around $400,000 for her campaign

damn, was kinda hoping for he loss
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2022, 02:01:51 pm »
Greene faces five GOP challengers in her primary

this is the real problem.  GOPers needed to band together and field just one alternative.  instead they split the field and MTG will likely come out with the most votes. 
<sig>

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2022, 02:48:03 pm »
@drvolts
Republicans are pushing wildly unpopular abortion policy & wildly unpopular gun policy & wildly unpopular tax policy & wildly unpopular book banning/gay bashing policy ... and they are on track to win the midterm elections by historic margins.

What explains the gap?
slack

Starsky

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2022, 03:01:34 pm »
I don’t believe that stuff is wildly unpopular and certainly not in most states!

It’s wildly unpopular in Arlington and NYC but In Nebraska, Missouri, Texas? Wildly unpopular? Ummm no

And factor in the gerrymandering and the over representation of republicans in the senate (North Dakota, South Dakota, Idaho, Wyoming etc)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2022, 03:35:50 pm »
A total ban on abortion is unpopular. A ban on abortions after the first trimester or four months, is actually QUITE popular tho.
LVMH