Author Topic: The Armageddon Election 2024 Or Apocalypse 2024  (Read 92149 times)

hutch

Re: The Armageddon Election 2024 Or Apocalypse 2024
« Reply #345 on: June 27, 2024, 09:18:30 am »
Insert Mencken quote

nkotb

« Reply #346 on: June 27, 2024, 09:21:21 am »
Whoa, bad form, hutch

“On one issue, at least, men and women agree: they both distrust women.”

Insert Mencken quote

hutch

« Reply #347 on: June 27, 2024, 09:30:59 am »
The other one…

« Reply #348 on: June 27, 2024, 01:10:18 pm »
Insert Mencken quote
Here are some notable quotes by H.L. Mencken:
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance."
"Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself."
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
"I know some who are constantly drunk on books as other men are drunk on whiskey."
"The older I grow, the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom."
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people."
slack

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #349 on: June 27, 2024, 01:54:29 pm »
For being a dude who ran a Jewish department store in NYC, this guy sure seems to pop off on a variety of topics.
LVMH

hutch

gavroche

« Reply #352 on: July 03, 2024, 04:54:57 pm »
You gotta admit this is pretty funny:

"In six swing states that Biden narrowly won in 2020, a little more than half of voters classified as likely to decide the presidential election say threats to democracy are extremely important to their vote for president...Yet, more of them trust Trump to handle those threats than Biden."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/06/26/biden-trump-swing-state-poll-democracy/

That's what happens when one candidate can speak and the other can't.  Up becomes down and vice versa.

They are convinced that the charges against Trump are political retribution and a threat to Democracy.

hutch

« Reply #353 on: July 03, 2024, 08:32:11 pm »

"In six swing states that Biden narrowly won in 2020, a little more than half of voters classified as likely to decide the presidential election say threats to democracy are extremely important to their vote for president...Yet, more of them trust Trump to handle those threats than Biden."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/06/26/biden-trump-swing-state-poll-democracy/

That's what happens when one candidate can speak and the other can't.  Up becomes down and vice versa.

They are convinced that the charges against Trump are political retribution and a threat to Democracy.

Just provably false as the same thing happened with Hillary.

And to say Trump can speak? You serious? He sounds like a blubbering idiot.

The issue with Biden is not whether he can speak - why do so many miss this- but whether he is showing signs of dementia.

« Reply #354 on: July 05, 2024, 09:46:17 am »
Welp in the UK they elected Keir Starmer
So that’s a step in the right direction
slack

gavroche

« Reply #355 on: July 05, 2024, 10:24:02 am »

Just provably false as the same thing happened with Hillary.

And to say Trump can speak? You serious? He sounds like a blubbering idiot.

The issue with Biden is not whether he can speak - why do so many miss this- but whether he is showing signs of dementia.

I think Biden is going to lose, and that he's going to lose pretty significantly (6 or 7 percent nationally). Trump is now above 50%, signaling that a bunch of voters have made peace with voting for him.  I think that'll be hard to undo without some sort of economic miracle.  I'll work as hard as I can for Biden though, because I hate the alternative.

Unfortunately, I also think Biden is the Dems best chance at this point unless they were going to bring in a Kasich type.  I don't see Kamala or anyone else attracting the moderate R's that have made their peace with Trump. I think a more progressive candidate could have won if they had a year to get out their message, but not now. I also don't think Biden will quite, so the conversations about him doing so to save the country are actually self-defeating because they help Trump.

As for Biden, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't actually have dementia. I think his inability to sell his agenda publicly has been undermining him his whole Presidency, even before that debate debacle. Otherwise, how do you explain that you think his Presidency has been objectively great but no one thinks so? Obama and Biden could have exactly the same policies but Obama's ability to sell them helped with the perception that things were going well.  Biden was losing before the debate and it's why that debate was so damaging.  Regan had dementia and was able to hide it because he was a naturally talented communicator.  We've had incapacitated President's in the past and the institution was able to function.  It's no ideal at all, but it's better than a fascist, so we look to Biden irregardless of his potential dementia.

Hillary is a slightly different phenomenom (and that it was an earlier and less perfected stage of disinformation).  People distrusted Hillary from year's of scandals involving Bill. The noise fit into a narrative that everyone already sort of felt. If anything things have gotten more separated now, and so it's easier to have disinformation.

As for Trump... I can't explain it, but there is no doubt that people have always found him compelling. He has a natural ability to draw attention. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 08:31:05 am by gavroche »

Space Freely

« Reply #356 on: July 06, 2024, 08:13:24 am »
Anybody seen the Lord Almighty this morning?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #357 on: July 06, 2024, 10:34:04 am »

If you're reading this, you're one of the Left Behind.

hutch

« Reply #358 on: July 06, 2024, 11:11:19 am »
Well look on the bright side…always look on the bright side

This is the last time anybody over 77 gets nominated for president.

« Reply #359 on: July 06, 2024, 06:00:58 pm »

If you're reading this, you're one of the Left Behind.
is this why Kirk Cameron was leaving CA?
slack