Author Topic: The Armageddon Election 2024 Or Apocalypse 2024  (Read 90480 times)

nkotb

Re: The Armageddon Election 2024 Or Apocalypse 2024
« Reply #645 on: August 08, 2024, 04:42:11 pm »
I mean, obviously you need to never stop pressuring public officials, but the idea that it's better to do it after they're elected is insane.  Voting should be transactional...they want your vote and you want your and others material conditions to improve.  Once someone is in office, there is no lever of influence to get then to do anything!  You can vote in another 2, 4, 6 years, but then you'll be too busy picking the lesser of two evils, and the cycle continues. 

Doesn't mean they'll actually follow through, obviously, but at least they're on record and you can work to hold them to that.

I think what the uncommitted campaign has done is incredible...you are providing bombs that are being used to commit a genocide, so you aren't getting our vote.  Easy as.

@chrislongview
a brief history lesson for the youths:

we did not get Barack Obama to ditch Don't Ask Don't Tell and publicly support marriage equality by protesting him BEFORE he was elected. you need a leader in office before you can lobby them to get what you want.

« Reply #646 on: August 08, 2024, 04:46:46 pm »

I think what the uncommitted campaign has done is incredible...you are providing bombs that are being used to commit a genocide, so you aren't getting our vote.  Easy as.
weird how you only castigate one party for this...when except for a few elected officials (some who just lost their jobs for this stance)... just about every other person in gov't that has power has backed Israel
lots are not backing Bibi though...and that's a big change

slack

nkotb

« Reply #647 on: August 08, 2024, 04:54:06 pm »
I only used that as an example of having a concrete demand, and flexing the only power you have (your vote) to get it.

Biden is the president, and has unconditionally backed giving weapons to Israel.  He was up for re-election, so they used their power to send him a message.

Should there have been an uncommitted movement on the Republican side?  Of course...but that base is a bunch of hooting hogs that would love to see brown people wiped off the face of the earth.  Why bother even pretending that should be part of the discussion here?

weird how you only castigate one party for this...when except for a few elected officials (some who just lost their jobs for this stance)... just about every other person in gov't that has power has backed Israel
lots are not backing Bibi though...and that's a big change

« Reply #648 on: August 08, 2024, 04:56:24 pm »
The Green Party .... they focused on Congress and tried to build up a beachhead of 15-20 seats over the next two decades.
so they have done some, but no congressional seat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Green_politicians_who_have_held_office_in_the_United_States
As of November 7, 2023 elections, at least 142 Greens hold elected office across the United States.

but most importantly: As of 2023, no nominee of the Green Party has been elected to office in the federal government.

slack

« Reply #649 on: August 08, 2024, 05:06:52 pm »
so I'm all about voter rights, but I think the democratic party needs to just be ok with Voter ID
It's just hard to defend to a waffling voter

I get why Voter ID 100% impacts one party more
but just make sure that people without Voter ID can submit their vote provisionally and then scrutinized fully at that time whether that vote is legit or not

I don't know the numbers, but is it that big of an impact in battle ground states?

I just think if we take some of the GOP demands and just deliver, they are caught flat footed
of all things, i'm somewhat ok with giving ground on this
slack

« Reply #650 on: August 08, 2024, 05:09:22 pm »
yikes and biden needs to make weed legal ASAP

Trump just said he supports rescheduling and legalization of Cannabis.

we can't have this a win for the GOP when it's such an easy get
slack

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #651 on: August 08, 2024, 07:28:34 pm »
The Green Party .... they focused on Congress and tried to build up a beachhead of 15-20 seats over the next two decades.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Green_politicians_who_have_held_office_in_the_United_States
As of November 7, 2023 elections, at least 142 Greens hold elected office across the United States.

but most importantly: As of 2023, no nominee of the Green Party has been elected to office in the federal government.

They do not hold a single state legislature seat in the entire country. They’re doing this so ass-backwards.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #652 on: August 08, 2024, 08:16:35 pm »
I just think if we take some of the GOP demands and just deliver, they are caught flat footed
of all things, i'm somewhat ok with giving ground on this

unfortunately we live in a highly polarized zero-sum political environment.  if Dems give in on this, the GOP will gloat "see we told you they'd cave because we're right", "GOP policies for the win", etc.  and it would also taint future clashes: "the Dems were wrong on voter ID, and still they're wrong on <insert issue du jour>"
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #653 on: August 09, 2024, 07:19:19 am »
It’s so cute that the hooting hogs are trying to start a meme/rumor that Walz blew a horse… this is not how this stuff works dimwits.. leave such activities to the experts
T.Rex

« Reply #654 on: August 09, 2024, 08:26:01 am »
of course I searched x for horse and walz...I don't think this is gonna stick, but they are trying

I'm here for the rod stewart rumor to resurface in memes
slack

Mobius

« Reply #656 on: August 09, 2024, 10:56:41 am »
The couch thing works because it is believable. It resonates because it’s like a shorthand for the weird creepiness people instinctively feel about the guy.

That doesn’t work with Walz. It doesn’t fit. Of course those guys don’t understand the difference and that’s why none of them are funny or have a good sense of humor.

One other thing is that I saw Harris isn’t giving interviews. I like that. Taylor Swift and Beyonce built massively powerful movements and never give real interviews. We don’t know sh*t about who they are really like or really think. The aura is the message.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #657 on: August 09, 2024, 11:27:33 am »
This fits for me, but then again I’m not running for president

Lawrence O’Donnell

“Vast well of Stupidity that takes up most of his brain”
T.Rex

« Reply #658 on: August 09, 2024, 11:57:25 am »
love this translator!

in other news...

Joe Rogan, Tim Pool, and Nick Fuentes have made public statements against Trump today.
slack

gavroche

« Reply #659 on: August 09, 2024, 12:40:03 pm »

They do not hold a single state legislature seat in the entire country. They’re doing this so ass-backwards.

The Green Party has tried a bunch of different strategies to gain relevence, including supporting local candidates in the hopes they could later break through.  The problem is, once they have wanted to run for bigger office they've all had to switch to become Dems. Local races are just really low information contests, so I think it's hard to break through.  Famously,  Sinema was a green party activist.

My sense is that running a presidential candidate keeps them in the public consciousness, which allows them to raise money and stay afloat.   

« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 12:45:26 pm by gavroche »