Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1412826 times)

Frank Gallagher

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #585 on: August 21, 2007, 09:18:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  with that midfield, no one is going to want to play newcastle. and this is without barton

i think the toon's main issue is lack of creativity, with the exception of jimmy. might improve when barton and butt come back, or if emre ever decides to play

still might get a couple of right backs before the window closes, which will be a boost
The fact that they hired big Sam pretty much confirms that they weren't going for 'creativity'....he's the master of the long ball and bullying tactics, which worked fine for him at Bolton, but creativity just isn't his bag.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #586 on: August 21, 2007, 09:22:00 am »
he did that at bolton because he could not afford world class creativity. now he can

maybe you're right, but the we'll see
o/\o

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #587 on: August 21, 2007, 09:34:00 am »
Quote of the week....

"Don't hoover up while Chelsea are playing because if you knock the telly, Robben will fall over."
 Former Dutch international Ruud Gullit quotes chaos theory scientists to give his verdict on Chelsea!

(hoover = vacuum)

brennser

« Reply #588 on: August 21, 2007, 11:43:00 am »

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #589 on: August 21, 2007, 11:52:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:
  good article on adu
Adufus if you ask me..

brennser

« Reply #590 on: August 21, 2007, 11:55:00 am »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:

good article on adu
Adufus if you ask me.. [/b]
well thats pretty much the gist of the article....

godsshoeshine

« Reply #591 on: August 21, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #592 on: August 21, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »
  http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=455386&cc=5901
 STAY AWAY    :mad:  
It's interesting - Fergie has normally stayed away from the African nationals, but in this case, with Rooney returning right as the African Nations Cup starts, it makes a little sense.  I don't see him doing it, but it makes sense.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #593 on: August 21, 2007, 12:19:00 pm »

Adufus if you ask me..
well thats pretty much the gist of the article.... [/b]
That's a little bit unfair.  

He had been with Benefica for two weeks before that Champions League match - that's a little early to see significant playing time.  

Now, had the article pointed out that he was a little hesitant when he did crack the squad at the 36th minute, it would have been more fair.  By the 70th minute, he was as bad as the rest of the team - that Benefica team looked awful against Copenhagen and I'm not surprised at all the manager was sacked.  Rui Costa was the only Benefica player worth a damn in that match. It was a typical Adu game - a few nice passes on runs down the side, but mostly a little lost in the middle.  He's 18, give him time to adjust to a new league and much better competition.  It was also his first UEFA match - I would have been a little in awe myself.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #594 on: August 21, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=455386&cc=5901  
 STAY AWAY     :mad:  
It's interesting - Fergie has normally stayed away from the African nationals, but in this case, with Rooney returning right as the African Nations Cup starts, it makes a little sense.  I don't see him doing it, but it makes sense. [/b]
supposedly anelka berbatov and huntelaar are in the mix too, so at least its quality. makes less sense to go for a smaller forward
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #595 on: August 21, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »
  supposedly anelka berbatov and huntelaar are in the mix too, so at least its quality. makes less sense to go for a smaller forward
But any of those three would create a log jam when Rooney and Glass, I mean Saha, return.  Unless Saha is sold (but who'd take him, really), I don't see anyone but Martins making sense.  I think Berbatov was a fallback if Tevez wasn't aquired, and I just don't see United doing that with Tevez and Rooney already on the roster.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #596 on: August 21, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »
Wednesday, August 22

12:00 Armenia v Portugal Euro Qualifier (Set)
 2:30 Sweden v. USA Friendly (FSC)
 2:45 Belgium v Serbia Euro Qualifier (Set)
 4:45 Russia v Poland Friendly (Set)
 5:00 England v. Germany Friendly (FSC Delayed)
 6:30 Bosnia v Croatia Friendly (Set)

Thursday, August 23

5:15 Denmark v Ireland Friendly (Set Delayed)

Two questions:

How long until Owen hurts himself?  I'll make it easy - first half or second half?

If Terry doesn't start and with Gerard out, does McClaren make Becks Captain again?
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #597 on: August 22, 2007, 11:54:00 am »
still cant believe that england cant seem to get any forwards to start for them besides crouch, owen and rooney, especially with two of those being hurt all the time
o/\o

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #598 on: August 22, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

But any of those three would create a log jam when Rooney and Glass, I mean Saha, return.  Unless Saha is sold (but who'd take him, really), I don't see anyone but Martins making sense.  I think Berbatov was a fallback if Tevez wasn't aquired, and I just don't see United doing that with Tevez and Rooney already on the roster. [/b]
I said it....but Fergie never listened to me. Where is Alan Smith when we really need him?

We should've dumped Saha for 20 quid plus his medical bills and gave the physio a bit of a break, and kept Smith. He never got a chance at United. First of all they play him out of his natural position in midfield to try to fill Keanes boots, then he had that horrendous injury and was shipped out before getting match fit again.

vansmack

« Reply #599 on: August 22, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »
  I said it....but Fergie never listened to me. Where is Alan Smith when we really need him?

I don't think this was all Fergie's doing.  I can remember him saying that he expected Smudge to stay at OT because of all the hard work and support the team put in to rebuilding his knee, but he went on to say that if Smith wanted a first choice starting position, he wouldn't stop him from moving either.  I think Smith might have asked for a transfer and it was granted.

Of course Fergie could have taken the hard line approach like he has with Heinze, but I don't expect Heinze to remain at OT.  I just know he won't be going to Liverpool either.  He's heading back to France.
27>34