Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1412793 times)

godsshoeshine

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #555 on: August 10, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »
see big sam isnt married to the 4-4-2 like roeder was, so i would expect some 4-3-3, 4-3-2-1, 4-5-1 formations, so smudger is a great fit for that

also, i fully expect manusa to carry the league. any ideas as to who gets the fourth cl spot this year (i bet mankie picks chelski    ;)    )

we've been linked to deco, but with dyer staying at least for now, i think the 15 million tag is a bit much, and he wants cl action
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #556 on: August 10, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »
I ACTUALLY DON'T THINK ARSENAL IS GUARANTEED THE THIRD SPOT THIS YEAR.  THEY'VE GOT A TON VETERAN LEADERSHIP TO REPLACE AND WENGER COMPLETELY UNDERESTIMATES THAT (SEE VIERA).  I LIKE TOTTENHAM AFTER KEEPING BERBATOV, NEWCASTLE AND SINCE THOSE ARE SAFE PICKS, I'LL THROW READING IN THE MIX.

SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS.  HAVING PHONE TROUBLES.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #557 on: August 10, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »
what was the most impressive stadium you've ever seen a soccer match in?

while in brazil recently, i caught a sold-out game at rio's  maracana stadium.  official capacity is now 93,000 but there were definitely more people there as all the aisles were packed too (sneaking in without a ticket was apparently easy to do).  it was during the pan-american games, where the brazilian women's team beat the US.  i went there to experience a cultural event, and the crowd provided one: two hours of dancing, chanting, booing and generally going nuts for the national team.  the game itself was relatively boring (a 5-0 brazilian blowout, two of the goals were really pretty) but i wasn't there for the game really.  the roar from the 100k+ crowd that followed each goal, and when the ref signaled that the game was over, was deafening.  despite its age - or maybe because of it - the stadium still looks really good.

added bonus: it was a double-header, i got to see the canadian women win the bronze medal before the gold-medal game.  even got my section to cheer for them when they received their medals during the awards ceremony afterwards      :)
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #558 on: August 10, 2007, 02:36:00 pm »
Because I have yet to see Old Trafford, I'll go with Olympic Stadion, in Berlin during the World Cup.  I have seen the Bernabou and Nou Camp, but didn't get to watch a game (just a tour).

The Rose Bowl for the 94 Wold Cup final was impressive as is the LA Coliseum when the Mexican National Team or Chivas is playing.

I'll be seeing the Home Depot Center next week which, by American standards is a good soccer only venue, I hear.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #559 on: August 13, 2007, 01:27:00 pm »
just so everyone knows, i am totally rooting for Newcastle United this year.  I have no real idea why other than i watched the match the other day and they're officially my boys.

cause i feel the need to have a team over there, lol.

so step off.

« Reply #560 on: August 13, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »
I drank a Newcastle with the burrito I made last night.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #561 on: August 13, 2007, 01:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
  just so everyone knows, i am totally rooting for Newcastle United this year.  I have no real idea why other than i watched the match the other day and they're officially my boys.

cause i feel the need to have a team over there, lol.

so step off.
good choice. one of my friends is trying to pick a team, and everton is his other choice   :roll:  

i was one happy little god this weekend
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #562 on: August 13, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »
A change for the mid-week TV schedule:

Tuesday August 14

3:00 PM Tottenham v Everton (Set)

Wednesday August 15

3:00 PM Portsmouth v Man Utd (Set)
 3:00 PM Reading v. Chelsea (FSC)    
 5:00 PM Fulham v. Bolton (FSC Delayed)  
 5:00 PM Champions League Qualifier - Sparta Prague v Arsenal (Set Delayed)
 6:45 PM Man City v Derby (Set Delayed)
 8:30 PM Birmingham v Sunderland (Set Delayed)

Thursday August 16

8:00 PM Uefa Champions League Qualifier - Rangers v Red Star (Set Delayed)
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #563 on: August 13, 2007, 09:11:00 pm »
and yay for the fact that with my dish package upgrade i have Setanta, Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV!!

with that, hockey and the sox i may be able to avoid the NFL altogether...save the games being 5 blocks from my house 8 times a year!

vansmack

« Reply #564 on: August 14, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »
  and yay for the fact that with my dish package upgrade i have Setanta, Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV!!

Welcome to 2005.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #565 on: August 14, 2007, 09:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Welcome to 2005. [/b]
you know, just because i didnt feel the need to pay $100 a month for 300 channels doesnt mean i'm behind the times!!!!!!!

i had the $34.99 package and since i will be home a lot more this fall (home renovations and being completely broke from weddingland) i figured i would just pay the extra $30 and get all the channels.

oh, and dishnetwork is getting 5 more HD channels starting tomorrow. you thought Meerkat Manor was cool before.....

vansmack

« Reply #566 on: August 15, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »
Just busting your chops....I'm glad you're watching EPL.

Which reminds me: United's Lineup today will feature Nanni, Tevez, Anderson, and Hargreaves.  With 4 guys who've never played together, they'll be lucky to get a draw today as well.

Paging Dr. Mankie.  Paging Dr. Mankie.  Your presence is requested in the footie thread.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #567 on: August 15, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »
no! stay away, toon army now outnumbers the prawn sandwich brigade
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #568 on: August 17, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »
There were some changes to my previous post.....

Saturday, August 18

7:30 Portsmouth v Bolton Wanderers (Set)
 10:00 Reading v Everton(FSC)
 10:00 Tottenham v Derby (Set)
 12:00 Newcastle v Aston Villa (FSC)
 2:30 Birmingham v West Ham (Set)
 2:30 Wigan v Sunderland (FSC Delay)

Sunday, August 19

8:30 Man City v Man United (Set)
 11:00 Liverpool v Chelsea (FSC)
 2:30 Blackburn v Arsenal (FSC Delay)
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #569 on: August 17, 2007, 04:31:00 pm »
United's season officially starts on Sunday - They got the pre-season schedule mixed up with the first two games of the season!  ;)

No Rooney is a total bummer, and Ronaldo out for three games doesn't help. It's going to take a while for the new players to fit in, but I predict the Premiership and Champions League for United this season.....Newcastle top 4 and Everton top 6.