Author Topic: Bands Reuniting....  (Read 8210 times)

Bags

Bands Reuniting....
« on: January 19, 2004, 11:50:00 pm »
Okay, so I'm watching this VH1 show "Bands Reunited" while doing other stuff, so I'm not fully paying attention.  But, they've gotten Berlin back together after "decades."  They are focusing on a particular genre, mostly.  The bands are Berlin, Kajagoogoo, Squeeze, Flock of Seagulls, Romeo Void, Frankie Goes to Hollywood....uhm, Klymaxx (I don't know them).  I'm missing some -- there are 10.

But here's my question -- didn't Berlin and Flock of Seagulls play the 9:30 Club this summer?  I feel like that was a show I missed -- Flock, Berlin, Modern English and someone else.  I wonder if it all started with this VH-1 show?  Had to, really, since they hadn't seen each other in years; that's kind of the premise of the show.

Thoughts?

J'Mal

Re: Bands Reuniting....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 12:48:00 am »
Flock and Kajagoogoo are the only interesting ones of the bunch you named but....

for a QUALITY band that is back together, and touring heavily, the exciting news is dada.

I saw them at the state theater a while back and ohmigod it rocked beyond rockage.  Well... they're back at the state theater March 13.  Only now I see joie callo was doing a solo show at iota tonight, feel stupid for missing it.  Dada is like a higher-quality Fountains of Wayne (and I like FOW), better harmonies, absolute musical virtuosity, a bit more burned out surfer/druggie types with deeper lyrics...  check 'em out.

Moon Mullen

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 01:36:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  Okay, so I'm watching this VH1 show "Bands Reunited" while doing other stuff, so I'm not fully paying attention.  But, they've gotten Berlin back together after "decades."  They are focusing on a particular genre, mostly.  The bands are Berlin, Kajagoogoo, Squeeze, Flock of Seagulls, Romeo Void, Frankie Goes to Hollywood....uhm, Klymaxx (I don't know them).  I'm missing some -- there are 10.

But here's my question -- didn't Berlin and Flock of Seagulls play the 9:30 Club this summer?  I feel like that was a show I missed -- Flock, Berlin, Modern English and someone else.  I wonder if it all started with this VH-1 show?  Had to, really, since they hadn't seen each other in years; that's kind of the premise of the show.

Thoughts?
Berlin and Flock of Seagulls played at the 9:30 last year but not with their original line-ups. Same goes for Modern English.

The other two bands are, The Alarm and Dramarama.

Klymaxx were an all female urban dance-pop band from the 80's. They weren't very good.

VH1 is just capitalizing on the popularity of the VH1 Classics channel, and supposedly those particular bands were the ones that viewers voted on wanted to see united again in some fashion.

bungle bud

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 08:00:00 am »
the alarm is mike peters, no other original members, he has the missions (uk) guitarist playing in the band. mike is supposed to be touring the usa this year in dead men walking, thats mike peters (the alarm),kirk brandon (spear of destiny), slim jim (the stray cats), glen matlock (the sex pistols) and maybe billy duffy (the cult). they are all on stage together and take turns doing there bands songs the others play back up. pete wylie (wah) used to be in dead men walking but had a bust up with mike, thewy were planing to have stuart adamson (big country) join them but he got out of it (commited suicide). bruce watson (big country) played afew dates with them. the alarm toured the states at the end of last year and were a big hit.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 08:58:00 am »
Originally posted by Moon Mulllens:

Klymaxx were an all female urban dance-pop band from the 80's. They weren't very good.
 [/b]
they sang that song, "Meeting In The Ladies Room"

did they not?

Moon Mullen

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 09:23:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

[/b]

did they not? [/b]
Yes they did

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 09:29:00 am »

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

[/b]

did they not? [/b]
Yes they did [/b]
i have the 45 baby!  too bad i dont have a turntable anymore.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 10:06:00 am »
Originally posted by bungle bud:
  the alarm is mike peters,  
well if the alarm reunion is anything like the berlin reunion it will feature mike, eddie, dave and twist.  not the current mike peter's ego band... it could be interesting seeing as there was legal action taken against mike for the use of the alarm as a band name.

romeo void could be interesting... it's on at 11am today, i'll watch and give it the thumbs up thumps down...
T.Rex

Random Citizen

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 10:09:00 am »
Ooh, I forgot that was on...was watching "American Chopper" on the Discovery Channel. But it's VH-1, it'll be on 20 more times this week.  ;)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 10:56:00 am »
I caught maybe the last 5 minutes of this yesterday. I think it's a great idea, although it's an odd list of bands.  Kajagoogoo?

I'd love to see the original Alarm get back together.  Especially if they're still sporting those suave haircuts.  Has Squeeze really been broken up for that long?

ggw

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 11:07:00 am »
Originally posted by Skeeter:
 I'd love to see the original Alarm get back together.  
They played at Jaxx a year or two ago.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 11:21:00 am »
The original members?  Damn - sorry I missed that.   :(

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 11:23:00 am »
I think EXTREME is also one of the bands??!! Klymaxx and Dramarama?? What the f*ck?? The one thing I DO like about the show from watching last night's Berlin episode is that they get the ORIGINAL lineups back together. They went after the first drummer and not this replacement. Adds Something I guess. I hate almost every second of the reality shows on network T.V. but am looking forward to a couple of these episodes. Frankie,Flock and Squeeze to be sure. I met and got to socialize with these 3 bands years ago and want to see what they are looking like now,curiosity I guess.......

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 01:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by Skeeter:
 I'd love to see the original Alarm get back together.  
They played at Jaxx a year or two ago. [/b]
WRONG, one more mistake like this  and I'm going to have to remove you from the position as royal archivist and make you the court jester.

The "Alarm" that playedJaxx in 2001  was   The Alarm 2000 w/

Mike Peters: Lead vocals, guitar
 plus:
 Guitar: James Stevenson(Chelsey,Generation-X, Gene Loves Jezebel)
 Bass: Richard Llewellyn (Jess,Cartoon)
 Drums: Steve Grantly: (Stiff Little Fingers)
 Cartoon)
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2004, 01:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  WRONG, one more mistake like this  and I'm going to have to remove you from the position as royal archivist and make you the court jester.

Deepest apologies, Master.

I shall strive to regain my impeccable posting cred.