Author Topic: Bands Reuniting....  (Read 8214 times)

Re: Bands Reuniting....
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 02:12:00 pm »
The Alarm are a prime example of a band whose sound has not aged well. Same could be said for the Housemartins and Woodentops. Liked all those bands back in the day, but they sound BAD now.

Bags

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 02:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Skeeter:
  The original members?  Damn - sorry I missed that.    :(  
Skeeter, it's VH1.  There will be 27 additional airings that you can catch....they're replaying much of the week's worth on Friday evening, and again throughout the day on Saturday.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 02:43:00 pm »
totally disagree on the housemartins sounding dated...

just saw the romeo void episode and it's a good one.
T.Rex

brennser

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 02:59:00 pm »
Same could be said for the Housemartins
I'm with kosmo on this - totally disagree with you - still think their stuff sounds great

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 03:23:00 pm »
any music can be labeled dated... it's being able to sound timeless which is the trick.  the housemartins wrote and performed great melodic pop songs which sound as good today as when they were released.
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2004, 03:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by Skeeter:
  The original members?  Damn - sorry I missed that.     :)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2004, 03:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  The Alarm are a prime example of a band whose sound has not aged well. Same could be said for the Housemartins and Woodentops. Liked all those bands back in the day, but they sound BAD now.
I disagree about the Alarm.  I picked up the "Declaration" reissue a few months back and it still sounds great to me.  Then again, I just bought a Pat Benater disc about an hour ago, so what do I know.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2004, 03:50:00 pm »
i dunno about the alarm, they released some really great stripped down singles before "decloration", the whole acoustic guitar played through amps sound.  then they went into the studio and came out all overproduced with horns and synths.  i much prefer the orginial version of "the stand" then the one on the album.  that first five song us ep is a good one...
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2004, 03:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
Hell, I disagree about  all three. Of course, like most bands, none of them could sustain the magic of their humble beginnings but they all rocked in their days and I still listen to the early stuff, especially Woodentops live disc.
😐 🎶

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2004, 11:00:00 pm »
It was worth it just to see how hot Terri Nunn is looking at, what is she 50?  Did anybody else see that?  I think she looks better than I saw Berlin in 83.  Damn, it's no secret that I like them young, but I'd do Terri Nunn in a heart beat.  And the best part is they didn't play "Take my Breath Away."

And as far as all of the discussion of who's together and who's not these days, the schtick of the show is that they're trying to get the ORIGINAL lineup's back together, and it's not so easy.  The original line-up for BErlin hadn't played together since they were recording their second album and Flock - well just watch it and see how easy that was.

Lastly, if you ask what the hell is Dramarama doing on this show, you're clearly not from LA because people in LA have been asking for a reunion show for years.
27>34

ggw

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2004, 12:20:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 Lastly, if you ask what the hell is Dramarama doing on this show, you're clearly not from LA because people in LA have been asking for a reunion show for years.
I always thought they were underrated.  Last Cigarette got some play.  The Earth Day song got some play too, but I thought that was the worst song on Vinyl.

vansmack

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2004, 01:37:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I always thought they were underrated.  Last Cigarette got some play.  The Earth Day song got some play too, but I thought that was the worst song on Vinyl.
Ahh, Last Cigarette...you're going to make me break out my vinyl.  "Anything, Anything (I'll Give You)" was and I'm sure still is on the KROQ playlist.  Everytime I go home I hear it.

Rodney Bingenheimer played that tune on his Sunday night Rodney on the Rock show and to this day that song is a KROQ favorite.  So much that Cris Carter of D-Rama made a movie about Rodney to thank him for breaking his band.  D-Rama is listed at number 79 on the KROQ bands of all time I guarantee that song is in the top 10 of all time on KROQ, even maybe #2 behind Blister in the Sun or 3 if they still credit "Smells like Teen Spirit" for saving them from bankruptcy.

I did see them in September at the KROQ Inland Invasion, but I'm not sure of it was the original line-up.  They were better when I saw them in `990, so it may not have been the original line-up.....or they were 15 years older, I couldn't tell.
27>34

Jaguär

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2004, 01:58:00 am »
Great song!

Don't think that I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about that band.

<Queue Rhett>

Metal Meltdown

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2004, 11:24:00 am »
It was obvious to me after seeing Flock play again on one days rehersal, that those guys really blew a chance at being a much larger band...great stuff but imploded after 4 years..

what was up with Mike Score?? seemed wary at best, everyone else was having a good time.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2004, 12:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Metal Meltdown:
  It was obvious to me after seeing Flock play again on one days rehersal, that those guys really blew a chance at being a much larger band...great stuff but imploded after 4 years..

what was up with Mike Score?? seemed wary at best, everyone else was having a good time.
>> To put it quite simply,too much too soon......Ali Score alluded to the drink & drugs and how it took it's toll especially on young Reno....I met them literally on their first tour of the U.S. and they were driving around in a white Ford econoline van......4 guys,road manager and driver all packed in....4 months later they were one of the biggest bands in the land in a giant tour bus and in the midst of a large international tour....Reno was and still is a gifted guitarist who never had the chance to reach his full potential...the problem with Mike is it was & still is in his mind all about HIM.....and it should have been about the BAND....now he's relegated to playing small venues around the country with the makeshift band he put together...shit happens....