Author Topic: Bloc Party  (Read 9429 times)

joeavrage

Re: Bloc Party
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 10:18:00 am »
I had a really good time... but I thought they started off kinda weakly. 'Like eating glass' is a fantastic song, but it sounded awful last night (I think they played it second). They hit their stride though around the fourth or fifth song and it was pretty great from then on. Was sad they didn't play Skeleton though. Was waiting for that one.
 Anyone have the setlist?

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
Which bands are they "above"?

Originally posted by LonnieBeale:
  Bloc Party was great. Kele is an exceptional rock vocalist. He and the drummer are reasons why they are above the rest of the post-punk acts currently popping up. They do speed up their songs during their live act, but it just shows you they have a lot of energy which makes their performance more fun to watch. Unfortuantely, they are already attracting the douche-bag set that took Interpol two years to attract.

SalParadise

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
  I was unimpressed to be honest. Maybe it was an off-night, and it wasn't that it was a bad performance...it was just lacking something that made the record so good. It seemed very sterile to me for some reason.
i agree with this. they're a good enough band with a group of great songs, it just sounded a bit phoned in to me. right around the 3rd song all i could think was "fuck, i should've gone to DC9"

i thought it was nowhere near as good as the black cat show.

and the bass player really shouldn't be singing.

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 10:28:00 am »
If you're stepping on someone while you're dancing, YOU'RE the douchebag, not the person who is getting upset about it.

Originally posted by kled:
  I thought Bloc Party was great last night and I thoroughly enjoyed the performance - more so than the album.  There were a lot of uptight people there though.  Some really sad, angry wannabe hipster tried to yell at me for "crowding him"...um, welcome to the world of sold-out shows, dude.  I tried not to step on him too much during my dancing.  

And what the hell is up with the constant picture-taking?  Yeah, I think 10 pictures will suffice to show your little friends that you saw Bloc Party.  Please stop now.  Please.  But all in all, despite the crowd, it was an enjoyable night.

MaLo

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 10:30:00 am »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
  I too was at the front left, right next to the stage.  I was the bloke in the absurdly colourful striped shirt.
hah..are you tall with glasses?

Arthwys

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
I'm beginning to think that all they hype can definitely hurt a new band (which bloc party still are, only got together in the autumn of '03).  Since they've been hyped up to be the next greatest thing, I can see how people could come to a show like last night and be very much underwhelmed.  When you bring high expectations w/ you to see a band or check out an album for the first time, it makes it harder to actually get into them.  It'll be a disappointment almost every time.  When I first heard Bloc party, it was the "Little Thoughts" single, months and months ago, I didn't think much of it.  But the band grew on me and now I think they're brilliant.
Emrys

ledererk

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
"If you're stepping on someone while you're dancing, YOU'RE the douchebag, not the person who is getting upset about it."

That was a joke, actually.  I wasn't within a foot of the dude, which apparently to him was unacceptably close.  And I don't even smell bad, I swear!  And this was after he spilled his beer all over my friend...oh well.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 10:38:00 am »
well unless Bloc Party is playing with someone else who I want to see, I'll be passing for time being...  so the next time they play 9:30 club will the tickets be $20 or $25 dollars... and will it be another two years and several area shows before we see a new record...
T.Rex

Arthwys

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2005, 10:41:00 am »
Originally posted by MaLo:

I too was at the front left, right next to the stage.  I was the bloke in the absurdly colourful striped shirt.
hah..are you tall with glasses? [/b]
Emrys

Arthwys

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 10:42:00 am »
Originally posted by MaLo:

hah..are you tall with glasses? [/b]
Nope, 5'9"ish, right up against the barrier.
Emrys

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 10:54:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 <tongue-in-check> guess the "real" bloc party fans got shutout this time around, because at black cat the audience was dancing, hooting and having a gay old time...
that was one of the most energetic shows i've seen in a long time ... people around me were rolling face, making out, dancing, really going nuts
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2005, 10:57:00 am »
Originally posted by SalParadise:
  right around the 3rd song all i could think was "fuck, i should've gone to DC9"

you probably could have gone there anyway ... the second band (dr. dog) didnt go on until after 11, and architecture in helsinki didn't go on until 12:15 or so
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2005, 11:07:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  people around me were rolling face, making out, dancing, really going nuts
they played at Nation?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2005, 11:08:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:

people around me were rolling face, making out, dancing, really going nuts
they played at Nation? [/b]
it might as well have been.
(o|o)

SalParadise

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2005, 11:11:00 am »

Originally posted by SalParadise:
  right around the 3rd song all i could think was "fuck, i should've gone to DC9"

you probably could have gone there anyway ... the second band (dr. dog) didnt go on until after 11, and architecture in helsinki didn't go on until 12:15 or so [/b]
ha, and i'd be comatose right about now.

actually, if it weren't for me having to drive some people home after the show, i would've considered swinging by to see what i could catch of dr. dog's set (apparently most/all of it)..oh well.