Author Topic: Bloc Party  (Read 9427 times)

rfredley

Re: Bloc Party
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2005, 02:11:00 pm »
Dance or don't dance.  Just don't shout your conversation above the volume of the music if you're around other people who appear to be trying to listen to the show.

If you want to talk during the show, kindly remove yourself to the bar, or better yet, stay home and listen to the CD in the background.

And no, just because the song is quieter doesn't give you license to shout over it 'cause you're bored.

I know.  I'm preaching to the choir on this board.

Anyway, thanks for all the great shows.  Started with Live on the first night in the new address, and ended a long run last night.   Wife and I are having our first kid soon, so it'll be a while before we're properly babysittered up for a show in all likelihood.

Hopefully by then they'll have a special "talkers" section.  Should get one for the movie theater as well.

Thanks for the memories folks.

sonickteam2

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2005, 02:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
 georgetown has absolutely NO indie scene (apart from our alt-weekly mag)
and you of course  ;)

AlanOnymous

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2005, 02:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Caesar:
  I saw B.P. in NY and it was one of the best shows I've attended.
 I'm going to re-post my msg from another thread here, just b/c I'm that important.   :p  

At last night's Bloc Party show a friend and I were standing pretty close to the stage and everyone around us stood perfectly still (well, except for taking photos OC!) the entire time. It irritated me because I feel like that behavior belonged in the back or in the upper level of the club.
 I say, let's keep the "stiffs" away from the front!

Also, I couldn't help contrasting the show with the LCD/MIA show (which was also sold-out). I stood in basically the same location, and everyone around me was moving around and having fun. People were actually INTERACTING with each other!! (My friend and I did note at the time that this behavior was unusual for DC.)
 -C
I couldn't agree more. I had the same problem. LCD show had me so happy, and the crowd at this show was just so damn annoying. Drunk chicks swinging their purses as if they'd never been in a crowd before, people shooting nasty looks if you applaud, dance a little, or shout out the simple "YEAH!" when your favorite song came on. What a bunch of a-holes. I had hopes for this show, but it looks like this is a band destined to be held hostage by its "fans".

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2005, 02:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:

georgetown has absolutely NO indie scene (apart from our alt-weekly mag)
and you of course   ;)  [/b]
well, it's been a couple years since i've been there ... maybe things have changed, i doubt it though ... AU and GW kids are much more likely to jump on the bandwagon of the latest emo/major-indie group
(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2005, 03:11:00 pm »
"It's not the band I hate, it's their fans" - "Coax Me." - Sloan  (needs to just become my sig)
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2005, 03:27:00 pm »
 AU and GW kids are much more likely to jump on the bandwagon of the latest emo/major-indie group
and you know this because?

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2005, 03:30:00 pm »
Because Georgetown kids are too busy sucking priest dick to be bothered with the latest music trend.

Originally posted by general grievous:

AU and GW kids are much more likely to jump on the bandwagon of the latest emo/major-indie group
and you know this because? [/b]

boweswana

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2005, 03:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
 [QB] Because Georgetown kids are too busy sucking priest dick to be bothered with the latest music trend.

Don't make shit up like that.  The Judas Priest show isn't til Sunday so their tour bus isn't anywhere near here yet.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  Because Georgetown kids are too busy sucking priest dick to be bothered with the latest music trend.

and you know this because? [/b]
[/b]
no no no, it's the other way around!

hey, they're broad generalizations and there are obviously deviations from the mean, but AU is emo, GW is indie or house, GU is fratrock
(o|o)

nomad0186

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2005, 03:51:00 pm »
[/qb][/QUOTE]i'm really getting sick of this ... who cares what's cool and what isn't, if you want to dance, fucking go for it, just respect others' space [/QB][/QUOTE]

I was being sarcastic; i'm fine w/ people dancing, thought i made that fairly clear (?)

ratioci nation

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2005, 03:51:00 pm »
  no no no, it's the other way around!

hey, they're broad generalizations and there are obviously deviations from the mean, but AU is emo, GW is indie or house, GU is fratrock
well I guess Emo wasnt really a trend when I was at AU, so I didnt notice, and how do all of the foreign students and kids from New Jersey fit in to the emo trend at AU?  The only stereotype I knew about other schools while at AU was that Georgetown was full of unbearable snobs, and it has held pretty true   :p

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2005, 04:10:00 pm »
  well I guess Emo wasnt really a trend when I was at AU, so I didnt notice, and how do all of the foreign students and kids from New Jersey fit in to the emo trend at AU?  The only stereotype I knew about other schools while at AU was that Georgetown was full of unbearable snobs, and it has held pretty true    :p  
i thought we had already talked about this when your moniker was pollard!

there's a preponderance of foreign students and NJ kids at all three schools i mentioned, i'm mostly referring to people at these schools who are into music scenes

lots of folks at g'town loved "underground" frat-rock like dispatch and that "crazy game of poker" band, and i noticed a TON of emo kids at AU

maybe this has all changed in two years, i dunno.

and i noticed an intense hatred (jealousy?) of g'town from the other two schools, i was even told that "anti-gtown" cheers are taught at AU's frosh orientation ... i never noticed any real hatred of AU or GW from gtown folks
(o|o)

ratioci nation

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2005, 04:24:00 pm »
  i thought we had already talked about this when your moniker was pollard!

there's a preponderance of foreign students and NJ kids at all three schools i mentioned, i'm mostly referring to people at these schools who are into music scenes

lots of folks at g'town loved "underground" frat-rock like dispatch and that "crazy game of poker" band, and i noticed a TON of emo kids at AU

maybe this has all changed in two years, i dunno.

and i noticed an intense hatred (jealousy?) of g'town from the other two schools, i was even told that "anti-gtown" cheers are taught at AU's frosh orientation ... i never noticed any real hatred of AU or GW from gtown folks
i dont think we discussed this, we may have skirted the issue

I did not go to orientation, so couldnt tell you

and the only reason that there was no hatred from gtown students was because they refused to acknowledge the lower castes

and really AU is just jealous obviously, I mean who the hell has heard of AU outside of the area

ggw

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2005, 05:32:00 pm »
 foreign students and NJ kids
There's a difference?

han

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2005, 06:09:00 pm »
i definitely agree that their show at the black cat was better.  but, they are still a great band, and put on a good performance.

the crowd at the black cat was more into it, but this goes for almost all shows.