Author Topic: Bloc Party  (Read 9428 times)

Bags

Re: Bloc Party
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2005, 11:16:00 am »
Don't have time to read the above posts except the first couple, or add much now, but I think it was a fun, solid show.  I'm impressed with them.  Was I blown away, no, but that happens less than some folks here believe....

Solid, though.  And just about everyone behind me was dancing....in front of me it was more a head-bobbing crowd, but luckily they were fairly short as a group.  But, overall, lots of folks around me really enjoying the show.  It kind of warmed my heart to see kids/early 20-somethings enjoying themselves (and even dancing) the same way that I did when I was their age to bands like Siouxsie, The Alarm and Adam Ant...

joz

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2005, 11:16:00 am »
i wasn't very impressed with the show either...the band was tight, kele sounded good, the scrawny drummer is pretty talented (i had to giggle that he played with his shirt off), BUT i just didn't feel it. somebody else called it already...the show felt "phoned in". i never really connected and didn't really see any of the energy that's captured on the album. stage presence was nonexistent.

i was also annoyed that they came on 25 minutes late. had they come on when they were scheduled, i coulda made it home for the end of the pistons/spurs game.

Tom Servo

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2005, 11:18:00 am »
I tried to get into DC9 after the Bloc Party set, but they weren't letting anyone else upstairs.  No luck on the double show.

BookerT

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2005, 11:19:00 am »
i was also annoyed that they came on 25 minutes late. had they come on when they were scheduled, i coulda made it home for the end of the pistons/spurs game.  
yeah, because there was some real drama there. but darko did get a hoop, so that was sort of exciting.

joz

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2005, 11:21:00 am »
Originally posted by BookerT:

yeah, because there was some real drama there. but darko did get a hoop, so that was sort of exciting. [/b]
no drama but i like to see the pistons whip some spur ass.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2005, 11:22:00 am »
Originally posted by joz:
 i was also annoyed that they came on 25 minutes late.
The posted time on the website said 10:15.  They came on at 10:20.

joeavrage

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2005, 11:33:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

The posted time on the website said 10:15.  They came on at 10:20. [/b]
Hmmm... it said 10pm when I looked in the morning... did Eddie change that?

joz

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2005, 11:34:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

The posted time on the website said 10:15.  They came on at 10:20. [/b]
when i checked the 9:30 site yesterday morning, it said 10pm...and by my watch it was 10:25 when they took stage. not trying to argue but i'm anal about getting to the show just in time for the headliner and missing openers that tend to bore me, especially on weeknights.

ericalindquist

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2005, 12:00:00 pm »
I saw B.P. in NY and it was one of the best shows I've attended.
 I'm going to re-post my msg from another thread here, just b/c I'm that important.  :p  

At last night's Bloc Party show a friend and I were standing pretty close to the stage and everyone around us stood perfectly still (well, except for taking photos OC!) the entire time. It irritated me because I feel like that behavior belonged in the back or in the upper level of the club.
 I say, let's keep the "stiffs" away from the front!

Also, I couldn't help contrasting the show with the LCD/MIA show (which was also sold-out). I stood in basically the same location, and everyone around me was moving around and having fun. People were actually INTERACTING with each other!! (My friend and I did note at the time that this behavior was unusual for DC.)
 -C

Originally posted by chokeychicken:
  Was I the only one who was extremely unimpressed with Bloc Party tonight?  I thought every single song (minus maybe Bluest Light) was played entirely too fast live, and the lead singer just sounded horrible.  

Oh, and then of course there was the DC crowd, who didn't move at all.  I felt like I was watching Death Cab or something.  Since when are kids too fucking cool to dance at a Bloc party show?

Most dissapointing show I've been to in a long time.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2005, 12:03:00 pm »
  when i checked the 9:30 site yesterday morning, it said 10pm...and by my watch it was 10:25 when they took stage. not trying to argue but i'm anal about getting to the show just in time for the headliner and missing openers that tend to bore me, especially on weeknights.
They probably just changed it later in the day.  When I checked shortly after lunch, it definitely said 10:15.  It's in the FAQ section too.

nomad0186

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2005, 01:12:00 pm »
argh don't blame bloc party for chin-stroking scenesters; its not cool to enjoy yourself at a show anymore.

Bloc Party was amazing, i was on the barrier, w/ bassist Gordon Moakes a foot away from me. Sorry if I stepped on anyone, because i went out of my mind. They had great energy, and weren't concerned about trying to cultivate an image.

Set List:
 So Here We Are
 Like Eating Glass
 Banquet
 Positive Tension
 She's Hearing Voices
 Blue Light
 Luno
 This Modern Love
 Little Thoughts
 Helicopter

Plans (which was not on the original set list; fan in the front made a sign and paid Kele a buck to play it, displacing "Into the Blue," which I've never seen on any previous EP, so it was a new fucking song, which kind of makes me mad that they didn't play it)
 Price of Gas
 Compliments
 Pioneers

I would've liked to see some more stuff from the EPs, like Staying Fat or the Marshalls are Dead, but it was a great show nevertheless.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2005, 01:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by LenardYorkton:
  argh don't blame bloc party for chin-stroking scenesters; its not cool to enjoy yourself at a show anymore.  Sorry if I stepped on anyone, because i went out of my mind.
i'm really getting sick of this ... who cares what's cool and what isn't, if you want to dance, fucking go for it, just respect others' space
(o|o)

TomJaworski

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2005, 01:29:00 pm »
i'm not mad at the "chin-stroking scenesters" or audience members who stand still. at certain shows, i may be mistaken for one. i rather grow annoyed at meathead interns or students (probably from gtown) who probably bought silent alarm at urban outfitters who butt in front of you just as the show begins, who bop around awkwardly during the show, and who every ten minutes send one of their group to retrieve more miller lite. sorry thats the snob-side of me speaking. i'm just glad i'm tall so i can move away.

eltee

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2005, 01:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by LonnieBeale:
  i'm not mad at the "chin-stroking scenesters" or audience members who stand still. at certain shows, i may be mistaken for one. i rather grow annoyed at meathead interns or students (probably from gtown) who probably bought silent alarm at urban outfitters who butt in front of you just as the show begins, who bop around awkwardly during the show, and who every ten minutes send one of their group to retrieve more miller lite. sorry thats the snob-side of me speaking. i'm just glad i'm tall so i can move away.
yeah I don't really appreciate the dude who came up to me at Old 97s cause I wasn't bopping all around. Then he tried to give me a high five.   :roll:

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2005, 01:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by LonnieBeale:
  i rather grow annoyed at meathead interns or students (probably from gtown) who probably bought silent alarm at urban outfitters who butt in front of you just as the show begins,
actually, they're probably from AU or GW ... georgetown has absolutely NO indie scene (apart from our alt-weekly mag)
(o|o)