Author Topic: DC is NEXT!!!  (Read 18406 times)

JGatz

DC is NEXT!!!
« on: March 24, 2004, 08:06:00 pm »
If it happens in the old country you know it's coming to DC.

Ireland's Pioneering Smoking Ban Starts on Monday
 Wed Mar 24, 2004 07:54 AM ET

By Gideon Long
 DUBLIN (Reuters) - Ireland is set to stamp out smoking in bars and restaurants starting Monday in the biggest such crackdown yet seen in Europe but one that has angered the owners of some of the country's renowned pubs.

The ban is being viewed a test case for the rest of the European Union and comes in the wake of similar campaigns in several U.S. cities including New York.

From midnight Sunday, it will be illegal to smoke in virtually all workplaces, closed public spaces and on public transport, with fines of up to $3,825 for transgressors.

The government says the ban will help save some of the 7,000 lives lost to smoking-related diseases in Ireland each year and will, for the first time, protect the country's entire workforce from passive smoking.

But critics say it will diminish Ireland's famous pub culture, drive tourists from the Emerald Isle and cost hundreds of jobs in the catering, entertainment and tobacco industries.

Above all, they say, it will turn publicans into policemen, forcing them to confront defiant smokers who, perhaps emboldened by drink, refuse to heed the "no smoking" signs plastered across the walls of their pubs.

"We're deeply disappointed that... the government insists on railroading this ban through in its current form," said the Vintners' Federation of Ireland (VFI), which represents some 6,000 publicans across the country.

A BLUEPRINT FOR EUROPE

The ban, driven into law by Health Minister Micheal Martin, has wide public support. A recent survey by pollsters TNS shows that twice as many people say they are more likely to visit a smoke-free pub than a pub where smoking is allowed.

Governments across Europe are looking to it as a test case, and the EU's health commissioner David Byrne says he would like to see the experiment in his homeland mirrored across the bloc.

Non-EU Norway is introducing a similar ban from June 1.

But other countries favor a more conciliatory approach, coaxing employers into providing smoking areas on their premises rather than forcing them to ban it.

"We prefer to encourage voluntary agreements rather than imposing laws," Danish health ministry official Lene Brondum Jensen told Reuters in Copenhagen.

"We think there is a greater possibility that people will abide by something if they succumb to it voluntarily rather than being forced to do something."

Ireland estimates it spends one billion euros a year treating its population of just under four million from the effects of tobacco.

IRELAND LEADS THE WAY

It is ironic that Ireland, not known for its healthy lifestyle, is leading the rest of Europe in banning smoking.

The Irish are among the region's heaviest drinkers and, thanks in part to a high-cholesterol diet, have one of the bloc's highest incidences of heart disease.

For some in Ireland, a cigarette is as much a part of the pub experience as lively banter and a pint of Guinness. It is all part of what the Irish call "the craic" (the fun).

But reformers say it is time to move on.

Michael O'Shea, Chief Executive of the Irish Heart Foundation, says he hopes the ban will herald a new era for Irish society -- "an era when health is set as a priority over other interests."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Copyright Reuters 2004. All rights reserved. Any copying, re-publication or re-distribution of Reuters content or of any content used on this site, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without prior written consent of Reuters.
 Quotes and other data are provided for your personal information only, and are not intended for trading purposes. Reuters, the members of its Group and its data providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the quotes or other data, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

© Reuters 2004. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

calecp01

Re: DC is NEXT!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 08:27:00 pm »
Does anyone know what someone can do to support a smoking ban in DC?  Who do I have to email, who can I give money to, what do I have to sign, etc?

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 12:44:00 am »
mail the money to me.

i'll buy some cigarettes with it  :)

jkeisenh

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 10:13:00 am »
Originally posted by cale:
  Does anyone know what someone can do to support a smoking ban in DC?  Who do I have to email, who can I give money to, what do I have to sign, etc?
Smoke Free DC is the organization working for the ban.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 10:20:00 am »
Are you a resident?

keithstg

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 10:21:00 am »
Give the money to your favorite local bar. If NYC is any indication, after a smoking ban goes into effect they will need it.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 10:34:00 am »
Yes, last time I was in NYC, I couldn't find a single bar to go to. They had all shut down, because people had completely stopped going to them. I ended up having to hang out for three nights at a Chuck E. Cheese.

Originally posted by keithstg:

Give the money to your favorite local bar. If NYC is any indication, after a smoking ban goes into effect they will need it. [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 10:45:00 am »
theres a Chuck E Cheese in NYC?

mankie

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 10:54:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
Well Chuck E is a New York rat...why wouldn't there be?

I found tons of bars in NYC to go to, someone is full of shit.

As for the smoking ban in Ireland, most of the folk we know over there think it's a good thing....I didn't read the whole article because I knew the story, but did it also mention that they are trying to pass a law to make it illegal to be drunk in a bar in Ireland? Not sure where they're going with that one, but on the surface it sounds pretty stupid....get pissed up then go out on the street so you don't get picked up by the guards...no drunks in the boozers, but tons of them on the streets!....huh?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 11:00:00 am »
being selfish it would be great to come home and not stink like cigarette smoke, but understand from a bar owners point of view the financial risk of a smoking ban.

plus, as it was stated elsewhere, can you imagine the dc nimby's reaction to half the black cat or 9:30 club emptying out for a smoke on the curb between sets?
T.Rex

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 11:03:00 am »
If the non-drunk in a bar law is passed in Ireland, I guess a bar will be the only place to go to be around sober people.   ;)  

Originally posted by Bollocks:

Originally posted by sonickteam2:
Well Chuck E is a New York rat...why wouldn't there be?

I found tons of bars in NYC to go to, someone is full of shit.

As for the smoking ban in Ireland, most of the folk we know over there think it's a good thing....I didn't read the whole article because I knew the story, but did it also mention that they are trying to pass a law to make it illegal to be drunk in a bar in Ireland? Not sure where they're going with that one, but on the surface it sounds pretty stupid....get pissed up then go out on the street so you don't get picked up by the guards...no drunks in the boozers, but tons of them on the streets!....huh? [/b]

keithstg

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 11:17:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotballs:
 [QB] Yes, last time I was in NYC, I couldn't find a single bar to go to. They had all shut down, because people had completely stopped going to them. I ended up having to hang out for three nights at a Chuck E. Cheese.

Selfishly speaking, I prefer the non-smoking bars. But, ask an average bartender or bar owner in NYC and they will tell you that the legislation has greatly hurt their business, and many are closing.

jkeisenh

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 11:24:00 am »
I have to say, this is one issue I'm really out there on, since I'm an asthmatic and someone else's smoking really does effect my health and shorten my life.

I'm sorry if some bars shut down, that's sad and it sucks.  But it's even more sad that what is sustaining their business is people standing around killing themselves smoking.  What's even sadder is that their smoking affects the rest of us.  And what's most sad is that there's a social cost to all of this.

I have to say I'm really super glad that fewer people smoke now, and I can't wait till nobody does.  Let's be honest, if it weren't for the deep pockets of the tobacco firms and their teams of lobbyists, smoking would have been illegal *everywhere* years ago.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 11:26:00 am »
So are you saying the 15% of NYC residents who actually smoke are no longer going to bars?

Maybe the 85% of non-smokers are going to bars more often. I know I would be more likely to partake in the bar scene if they were all non-smoking.

What if a survey was taken and it found 70% of bar-goers preferred a nonsmoking enviroment? Who would be selfish then? The bartender, the 30% who were being catered to, or the 70% majority who were being ignored?

And it's not like the world would be a worse place if all bars were to close. People with any creativity at all would still find ways to socialize and enjoy themselves. And creative, resourceful bar owners would find other ways to make money.

Originally posted by keithstg:

Originally posted by nkotballs:
 [QB] Yes, last time I was in NYC, I couldn't find a single bar to go to. They had all shut down, because people had completely stopped going to them. I ended up having to hang out for three nights at a Chuck E. Cheese.

Selfishly speaking, I prefer the non-smoking bars. But, ask an average bartender or bar owner in NYC and they will tell you that the legislation has greatly hurt their business, and many are closing. [/b]

Bags

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2004, 11:26:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 plus, as it was stated elsewhere, can you imagine the dc nimby's reaction to half the black cat or 9:30 club emptying out for a smoke on the curb between sets?
I think this may be one of the bigger issues faced by N.Y.  Angry neighbors now that so many bar patrons are hanging out on the street late into the night.

I don't know, I loved a recent show at the no-smoking DC9.  And a sold out show at the Black Cat can be a real killer (The Shins show was like being in a smelly fog).  Still, this comes from someone who largely quit smoking about nine months ago, so 'no smoking' places just help me out.

I think this should be decided by the marketplace, though.  If there's a call for non-smoking venues, they will open up.  If it's a worker's safety issue, it's like high-rise window-cleaning -- if you think you'll fall from those high benches, get another job.  

What is going to bother me is if a lot of folks who are clamoring for no smoking bars in DC are VA and MD residents.  As it is, DC residents have little say over what happens in their own city.  This should be strictly a D.C.-decided issue.