Author Topic: DC is NEXT!!!  (Read 18411 times)

Re: DC is NEXT!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2004, 12:20:00 pm »
I would disagree. Income taxes are collected to use on services for the betterment of the residents. Why should someone have to pay income tax to a city/state in which they do not reside, and thus do not receive any of the benefits that the residents of that city/state do receive?

Originally posted by mark e smith:

Originally posted by Ball Girl:
  There is currently no commuter tax in this metro area, but it was up for discussion a couple weeks ago. They threw it out.
I found this:

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20031202-100819-6058r.htm

So there probably should be some commuter tax, but it should be paid by the other states, but the other states would never agree to it. I didnt realise that 70% of personal income tax earned in DC ended up being paid out of state. That is a pisser. [/b]

Bags

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2004, 12:22:00 pm »
There's no commuter tax in DC, but it comes up again and again to help account for the large shortfalls of revenues to the city.  Like other cities, there is a large number of folks who work here but live outside of the city limits (about 70% of the District's workforce).

The biggest problem DC faces, in my opinion, is the huge amount of non-taxed entities that work in and utilize the city (federal government, any international governments, etc).  It's a significant revenue loss -- 42% of DC real estate is federally owned and hence tax free; 11 % is owned by embassies, nonprofit groups and others exempted from taxation, city officials say.  That's more than half of the commercial real estate in the city.

There have been commuter taxes been in other cities (such as New York).  There's some form of commuter tax in 41 states because cities where people work have to pay for the services used by employees (police, fire, emergency, transportation infrastructure, etc).  Commuter taxes are not uncommon, but there has been a ban instituted by Congress for D.C. only.

Taxes for commuters do not increase, by the way.  The apportioning among the jurisdictions changes.

ratioci nation

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2004, 12:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Got Balls?:
  I would disagree. Income taxes are collected to use on services for the betterment of the residents. Why should someone have to pay income tax to a city/state in which they do not reside, and thus do not receive any of the benefits that the residents of that city/state do receive?

So even though you spend almost a third of your time in a city, you don't benefit from any of its government services?  I am not saying that there should be taxes paid to the city, but I don't think the issue is so cut and dry.

eltee

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2004, 12:24:00 pm »
The Norva has a big pit out back for smokers. They have a bar set up out there too. Many were still inside even in between sets. Most smokers just chain-smoked 'bout 3 cigs before heading back in for the show. I hear it's brutal out there in the winter months. Either they suck it up and don't smoke or embrace the cold.

Bags

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2004, 12:27:00 pm »
Will a VA resident call for a Fairfax ambulance when he/she tumbles down the stairs at work?  Will the Montgomery County Sherrif's dept send in a proportionate number of cops to its residents who work here when there's an emergency midday on a Wednesday?

If you work in DC, you spend probably 40% of your time here, using services for the betterment of your work life.

sonickteam2

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2004, 12:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Tee:
  Either they suck it up and don't smoke or embrace the cold.
strange opinions coming from a smoker   ;)

markie

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2004, 12:31:00 pm »
At least you would think some money would come in for transportation, you know road and rail that commuters use to actually get to their jobs. It could be used as an explanation for DC raods.

mankie

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2004, 12:32:00 pm »
Why does everything have to be so extreme...if a bar wants to allow smoking then why not? They could generate revenue by charging "smokers bars" a monthy levy of $10,000 or something like that, but only allow 15% of bars smoking permits, seeing as some one came up with the magic number of smokers being 15% of the population. Just an idea from a simple northern boy...who's been a non-smoker for over 25 years. I wouldn't go anywhere near a non-smoking bar personally, but smokers should be given the opportunity to enjoy a pint and a smoke too.

I think they should allow smoking in the workplace though...so everytime some twat lights up all us non-smokers can go sit outside and do nothing for 20 minutes out of every hour.  :D

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2004, 12:43:00 pm »
I work 8.5 hours a day, lunches included. Subtract out vacation days and holidays, and I estimate I work 1938 hours of a possible 8760 hours of the year. Thus, that's 22% of my total time, not 40%. And I use the resources of a federally owned building, none of which comes from DC taxes.

But as a DC resident, I probably spend 90% of my total time in the District. Still, I don't agree with a commuter tax.

Originally posted by Bags:
  Will a VA resident call for a Fairfax ambulance when he/she tumbles down the stairs at work?  Will the Montgomery County Sherrif's dept send in a proportionate number of cops to its residents who work here when there's an emergency midday on a Wednesday?

If you work in DC, you spend probably 40% of your time here, using services for the betterment of your work life.

[/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2004, 12:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bollocks:
 They could generate revenue by charging "smokers bars" a monthy levy of $10,000 or something like that, but only allow 15% of bars smoking permits, seeing as some one came up with the magic number of smokers being 15% of the population.  
Bingo.  sounds like a great plan. I can see how people dont want to go to a bar and get all smoked out, but is it really necessary to have NO bars that you can smoke in?  i just think thats a little harsh. Levying a tax and limiting the number seems to be a fair way to me. Although, passing a law is easier for the fat guys in charge, eh?

brennser

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2004, 12:46:00 pm »
I work 8.5 hours a day
really? would you say that under oath?   :p

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2004, 12:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bollocks:

I think they should allow smoking in the workplace though...so everytime some twat lights up all us non-smokers can go sit outside and do nothing for 20 minutes out of every hour.   :D  
Post of the week!!!

It was such a drag watching all the smokers hanging out doing their thing.  It also seemed the best work related gossip was always being discussed at those confabs when I was a non smoking bystander.
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2004, 12:49:00 pm »
  I work 8.5 hours a day,
You forgot commuting time within the district. I bet that is going to be at least an hour each day. that would take you closer to 1/4 of your time.

jkeisenh

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2004, 12:50:00 pm »
Come on, though.  It's not about time spent at work alone.  Suburbanites expect to drive our roads, have traffic lights, police service, street lights, cleaned sidewalks, litter cans, parking checkers (or maybe not?!), and more.  It's the whole package and they aren't paying up.

I say, until we get our commuter tax, let's just shut it all off downtown.  no cops, no lights, no cleaning, nothin'.  Commuters don't want to pay up?  Give 'em what they paid for.

I work 8.5 hours a day, lunches included. Subtract out vacation days and holidays, and I estimate I work 1938 hours of a possible 8760 hours of the year. Thus, that's 22% of my total time, not 40%. And I use the resources of a federally owned building, none of which comes from DC taxes.

But as a DC resident, I probably spend 90% of my total time in the District. Still, I don't agree with a commuter tax.

Originally posted by Bags:

[/b]
[/b]

ratioci nation

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2004, 12:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Post of the week!!!

It was such a drag watching all the smokers hanging out doing their thing.  It also seemed the best work related gossip was always being discussed at those confabs when I was a non smoking bystander.
I think some people start smoking just to get in on those breaks