Author Topic: Books  (Read 164459 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Books
« Reply #495 on: April 16, 2021, 03:53:01 pm »
Here are some touching stories about native american mothers and their children:

http://www.native-languages.org/legends-mother.htm

hutch

« Reply #496 on: April 30, 2021, 06:11:33 pm »
I  am reading a lot of Mark Twain and I plan to spend the next few years reading his letters, stories, novels, essays, speeches and autobiography.

On the internet the Mark Twain project is a great resource.

https://www.marktwainproject.org/about_projecthistory.shtml

The innocents abroad is hilarious.. I had read it many years ago but barely remember it and with 15 years more experience I get more out of it

Of course I read some of his stories, Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer when I was young... but there is a lot more to Samuel Clemens

I suppose my favorite thing about Twain is that he really understands the “American” character with its faults and pluses... and that character or “culture” probably hasn’t changed much despite my exhortations to the contrary during the Trump years.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:25:32 pm by hutch »

« Reply #497 on: May 26, 2021, 02:29:26 pm »
I'm looking forward to this summer read
slack

« Reply #498 on: June 02, 2021, 01:22:07 pm »
this looks good
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #499 on: June 13, 2021, 05:13:29 am »

Rush: Wandering the Face of the Earth: The Official Touring History
Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee, and Neil Peart performed together for the first time to an audience of 11,000 people in 1974. Forty years later, their last tour sold over 442,000 tickets. This is the story of everything in between. This is the story of Rush.

Afterword by Stewart Copeland / Edited by Richard Bienstock / Foreword by Les Claypool / Introduction by Howard Ungerleider

<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #500 on: June 13, 2021, 12:34:14 pm »
One of the most disappointing live shows I ever saw… Test for echo around 1997 at cap center

I just wasn’t into them anymore

Around 1985-87 it was all I listened to but by the mid 90s I was not into that type of music at all…everything was so un spontaneous and perfectly clean almost shrill …and some of their albums post power Windows are complete turds

All I remember about the show is insanely bright flashing lights and some horrible biggish suit Alex Lifeson was wearing and during set break being in bathroom and disgusting looking old people crowing they had done 2112 which of course meant nothing to me as I was obsessed with the permanent waves-power Windows stuff

I never even tried to see them again..sometimes you just can’t and shouldn’t go back but for a couple of years (9th and most of 10th) I was that misfit in high school with the Walkman and headphones finding belonging in listening to subdivisions.. I think even if I hadn’t been taken away from my school by my dad fleeing the US I would have still moved on …I was just beginning to be part of the in crowd…and they were listening to Standing on the beach
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 12:53:31 pm by Starsky »

« Reply #501 on: June 13, 2021, 01:00:58 pm »
pretty sure that was my one an only cap center show, which I think at the time had changed it's name to USAir?
I feel like we had the second to the last row 400 level seats

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1996/usair-arena-landover-md-3d62113.html
it was a long show and I was not a fan of 2112 stuff either
did just read this " after the 76 tour, Rush would not perform the track in its entirety until their 1996 tour"

About the only thing I really remember is that stupid roll the bones rap with that silly video of the Skelton rapping
slack

Starsky

« Reply #502 on: June 13, 2021, 01:12:36 pm »
Yup we were really high up!

That’s why people were so into 2112 but that was a different Rush from what us young ones were into

Our ticket kungfu was so weak ..

My only cap center show but I was also there for a caps game once..so boring..my only hockey game to this day

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #503 on: June 14, 2021, 09:38:25 am »
I paid a scalper $18 to see Rory Gallagher open for Rush in 82. Rory was great. Rush was a bore.

« Reply #504 on: June 14, 2021, 09:55:37 am »
I paid a scalper $18 to see Rory Gallagher open for Rush in 82. Rory was great. Rush was a bore.
wow...that was some prime era rush IMO
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1982/capital-centre-landover-md-53d31fe5.html

Although ended the show with a drum solo?!
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #505 on: June 14, 2021, 10:37:54 am »
wow...that was some prime era rush IMO
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1982/capital-centre-landover-md-53d31fe5.html

Although ended the show with a drum solo?!

Looks like that was par for the course on the Signals tour!

« Reply #506 on: June 27, 2021, 10:54:45 pm »

this is an absolutely FANTASTIC audio book, delivered as only jonesy could.  It would seem trite if anyone but him delivered it.  Even his bit where he imitates Malcom was just fantastic.  Highly recommended.  It is such a great and different perspective on a story I thought I knew a lot about.  And his delivery and thick accent just make you feel like he's telling you the story at 2am at some late night back room while a few of your mates are already passed out
slack

WALKonBack

« Reply #507 on: June 28, 2021, 01:06:36 pm »
"Magnetized
Conversations With A Serial Killer"

Carlos Busqued

Incredible

« Reply #508 on: September 02, 2021, 09:23:49 am »
slack

challenged