Author Topic: Books  (Read 164515 times)

K8teebug

Re: Books
« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2016, 12:13:50 pm »
Reading The Underground Railroad. Very good so far. Not very cheerful, as the depictions of slavery are difficult, but I'm glad it doesn't hold back too.

Just finished Big Little Lies, which was more just a fun easy to figure out mystery than something really stirring.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2016, 12:22:28 pm »
I'm struggling through Marlon James' A Brief History of Seven Killings.

Its a good book but each chapter comes from a different 1st person perspective narrator and the Jamaican patois/lack of proper punctuation makes it a very slow read.

Wanting to get into Mahajan's The Association of Small Bombs next.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2016, 03:42:56 pm »
I'm struggling through Marlon James' A Brief History of Seven Killings.

Its a good book but each chapter comes from a different 1st person perspective narrator and the Jamaican patois/lack of proper punctuation makes it a very slow read.

Wanting to get into Mahajan's The Association of Small Bombs next.

I quit it...just way too confusing

« Reply #288 on: December 05, 2016, 03:46:55 pm »
I quit it...just way too confusing
Its gotten easier once I got past the first of the five days. Once you know who the characters are and don't have to flip back to the character list every paragraph it speeds up slightly.
LVMH

ggw

« Reply #289 on: December 05, 2016, 04:09:14 pm »
It all makes complete sense if you're totally blazed when you read it.

« Reply #290 on: December 05, 2016, 04:13:40 pm »
It all makes complete sense if you're totally blazed when you read it.
Hush, Bam Bam.
LVMH

« Reply #291 on: December 05, 2016, 10:13:40 pm »
slack

walkie,talkie

« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2016, 10:54:29 pm »
I am reading this incredible book, that has to do with this spiritual medium woman who speaks to the dead to get life advice to allow people to become the most important person they can for themselves. It's like self motivation, times 1000, powered by the energy advise of the Dead.

It's somewhere in one of my bags or something so I can't remember the name of it, at the moment, so you'll have to give me a bit and then I'll tell you what it is.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2016, 11:09:16 pm »
Its called,

Rebecca Rosen,     Awaken the Spirit Within

Space Freely

« Reply #294 on: December 15, 2016, 03:50:06 pm »
Kudos to the Fairfax County Public Library for having this one. 44 pages in and I'm liking it a lot.

Trouble Boys: The True Story of the Replacements by Bob Mehr

I started that one and put this one on hiatus. It's also very good, I'll return to it later.

Are You Ready for the Country: Elvis, Dylan, Parsons and the Roots of Country Rock by Peter Doggett

And of course I'm reading and enjoying the two homebrewing books that Sweetcell recommended in the beer thread.

hutch

« Reply #295 on: December 15, 2016, 04:03:27 pm »
I'm reading Hitchens' last book of essays... I just read an interesting one about Jefferson and the Barbary pirates

I'm enjoying it..

He should almost be glad he died shortly after its publication as had he stuck around he would have been horrified to see just how badly things in the Middle East turned out and how wrong he was...although I doubt he would have acknowledged such..

hutch

« Reply #296 on: December 18, 2016, 10:53:40 pm »
Hitchens' essay on Gore Vidal is pretty scathing...I find it rather uncharitable to focus on a man's last few writings when he is obviously way up there in age and has lost his partner for life to illness... I guess it was payback but still.. a nasty business..

hutch

« Reply #297 on: December 22, 2016, 10:12:04 pm »

man its a really fun and easy read....I could finish this very quickly...

I bought this First Edition hardcover (the only way to go for me when possible) used on Amazon..I think I ordered it yesterday for $10 (including shipping) and here it was early today... Amazon can be so great it can be disconcerting.. I note it used to belong to the Denver Public Library....I peeled off the usual bunch of stickers and they came off rather nicely..it still sports two red "Denver Public Library" stamps inside but that is ok... Next time I see Peter Hook he is going to sign this puppy.. and I will not lend it to sidehatch cause he still owes me the two books I lent him years ago.. I think he thinks I have forgotten but I do not forget..

anyways I had planned to go to a holiday party but my youngest one has an ear infection and had the worst cough going yesterday..we got him on antibiotics and my partner took the older one to the party... so the kid falls asleep immediately after they leave and I'm having a blast reading my book listening to some Isaac Hayes records I picked up this morning..sometimes the finer pleasures are the simplest ones...

Relaxer

« Reply #298 on: December 23, 2016, 11:48:27 am »
If you liked that, you should check out Hook's book on the Hacienda. I read it earlier this year and was totally enthralled with it.
oword

« Reply #299 on: December 23, 2016, 01:11:59 pm »
.. Next time I see Peter Hook he is going to sign this puppy.. and I will not lend it to sidehatch cause he still owes me the two books I lent him years ago.. I think he thinks I have forgotten but I do not forget..

have not forgotten...but they just look so nice in my book case

but hopefully your oldest isn't sick today after going to that party
mine was puking all through the night...so I hope that wasn't spread around all the kids at the party who were playing pile-on (I think yours avoided most of the bedlam)

Was good seeing Ms Hutch and 1/2 your clan
slack