Author Topic: Books  (Read 164462 times)

hutch

Re: Books
« Reply #390 on: January 07, 2019, 10:44:09 am »
I could see listening to the audiobook sometime but I like to read it cause I am interested in his writing and it’s easier to appreciate on the written page...

His personality really comes through...

Space Freely

« Reply #391 on: January 07, 2019, 10:45:05 am »
Reading Tweedy

Excellente
I just got back into it after the holidays and loving it too

I know I'm not old school...but listening to the Audio-book and actually having Jeff tell these stories is just great, his delivery is hysterical.  found my self laughing out loud in public spaces a few times from some of the passages

I'm in the middle of it and enjoying it as well. His stories of growing up a square peg in shitty depressed conservative small town America really ring true. Plus, my wife thinks I look like him.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:51:57 am by Space Freely »

« Reply #392 on: March 05, 2019, 01:01:20 pm »
looks interesting....

White
By Bret Easton Ellis

Combining personal reflection and social observation, Bret Easton Ellis's first work of nonfiction is an incendiary polemic about this young century's failings, e-driven and otherwise, and at once an example, definition, and defense of what "freedom of speech" truly means.

and boards most mocked musician is releasing this 3/21

Try This at Home: Adventures in Songwriting
Frank Turner

Looking forward to the Audible Unabridged edition read by Frank Turner
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 01:11:21 pm by Defamatory Gist ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Bagley

« Reply #393 on: March 05, 2019, 01:16:37 pm »
"There There"
Tommy Orange
Contemporary Native American fiction

Very well written

« Reply #394 on: March 29, 2019, 09:12:54 am »
 With nearly 10 million copies of Michelle Obama's autobiography “Becoming" sold,
 “this could become the most successful memoir ever.”

just saw she narrates the audio book...may have to check it out
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:14:32 am by Sïdehätch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #395 on: May 24, 2019, 12:13:08 pm »
tonight! @PoliticsProse (conn. ave location)
 7pm-8pm, Free.  “Mr. Know-It-All: The Tarnished Wisdom of a Filth Elder“ Filmmaker, actor, writer, visual artist and author John Waters in conversation with Stephen Thompson

looks interesting....

White
By Bret Easton Ellis
Looks can be deceiving...got the Audio book because he narrates...not sure I can finish (1/3 way through) as it is just him whining about everything with a few cool stories inbetween
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 12:14:52 pm by ivesssapology ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

hutch

« Reply #396 on: May 24, 2019, 12:48:08 pm »
I hate autobiographical works that make me dislike the writer more than I did before I started

See Eric Crapton

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #397 on: May 24, 2019, 12:58:58 pm »
how you folks aren't talking about Don Jr's forthcoming book is beyond me...
<sig>

« Reply #398 on: May 24, 2019, 01:32:59 pm »
some good stuff out there
@jeremynewberger Donald Trump Jr.'s book is going to be the top selling book in the Beyond-Help section of Barnes & Noble.

@leexhemming
Plenty of copyright-expired classics to repurpose. Pride and Prejudice? The Idiot? Heart of Darkness? #donjrbooktitles
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #399 on: May 24, 2019, 01:44:40 pm »
some good stuff out there
@jeremynewberger Donald Trump Jr.'s book is going to be the top selling book in the Beyond-Help section of Barnes & Noble.

@leexhemming
Plenty of copyright-expired classics to repurpose. Pride and Prejudice? The Idiot? Heart of Darkness? #donjrbooktitles

yup, a whole dumping ground of them here: https://theunitedstatesblues.com/donald-trump-jr-gets-bombarded-with-mockery-and-scorn-after-news-of-his-book-deal-leaks-out/
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #400 on: May 24, 2019, 01:59:28 pm »
If I admit that I'm currently reading a David Sedaris book, will I get publicly flogged by members of this board?

hutch

« Reply #401 on: May 24, 2019, 02:06:20 pm »
As long as you are reading what is the problem?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #402 on: May 24, 2019, 02:21:52 pm »
If I admit that I'm currently reading a David Sedaris book, will I get publicly flogged by members of this board?
Probably just me. And honestly, a few seconds in, all the vitrol will be off of you and onto that milquetoast bore. He's the literary equivalent of Modern Family on downers. He only exists so our bigoted septuagenarian aunts can claim cover for their evangelic hate by going, "but I am reading a book by a gay man!" Fuck David Sedaris.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #403 on: May 24, 2019, 03:12:29 pm »
Probably just me. And honestly, a few seconds in, all the vitrol will be off of you and onto that milquetoast bore. He's the literary equivalent of Modern Family on downers. He only exists so our bigoted septuagenarian aunts can claim cover for their evangelic hate by going, "but I am reading a book by a gay man!" Fuck David Sedaris.

Wait, David Sedaris is gay? And that's why we're supposed to hate him?

hutch

« Reply #404 on: May 24, 2019, 04:08:47 pm »
Julian is just a hater....there is no rhyme or reason