Author Topic: Books  (Read 164473 times)

Re: Books
« Reply #420 on: October 23, 2019, 10:51:59 am »
I'm enjoying this very much

I love unabridged books read by the author on Audible
although the jury is out on his corny impressions of some of his subjects
slack

« Reply #421 on: December 08, 2019, 11:02:59 pm »
this looks excellent
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #422 on: December 09, 2019, 08:54:58 am »

Is the jury still deliberating?

« Reply #423 on: December 09, 2019, 09:56:05 am »

Is the jury still deliberating?
verdict is the corny impressions are in fact a little too corny (but in all honesty, not sure what would have been the best way to do it, as if he had just read their lines, I don't think it would have worked as well)

but the story is really good, one of most engaging reads (listens) I've had in a while.  For me best book I digested in 2019
one neat feature about the audio book is they actually include the recording the police took of Harvey in one of the stings they did
That was creepy

One redemptive thing...he now has a podcast about this book...and he has the actual people on the podcast, so you can hear how they really sound and so far it's been a fantastic add on to an already great book
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 09:57:52 am by Side-Kyiv ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|ll »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #424 on: December 10, 2019, 03:39:17 pm »
going to the beach next week, need a good beach book: recs?
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #425 on: December 10, 2019, 04:06:10 pm »

What beach?

I recently read this, but wasn't at the beach. Mixed bag, but at least it's waterproof.

https://www.amazon.com/Beach-Book-Melcher-Media/dp/1595910034

hutch

« Reply #426 on: December 10, 2019, 04:42:55 pm »
I know Carl Hiaasen is low brow but when I am on a beach vacation I need something fun and easy and his books fit

hutch

« Reply #427 on: December 10, 2019, 04:46:53 pm »
If on the other hand you are looking to get serious

1. Josephus - Complete Works
2. Julio Cortázar - Rayuela

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #428 on: December 10, 2019, 07:33:04 pm »

What beach?
Yucatan - Chicxulub, where the meteor hit 66 million years ago and killed the dinos.

I recently read this, but wasn't at the beach. Mixed bag, but at least it's waterproof.

https://www.amazon.com/Beach-Book-Melcher-Media/dp/1595910034

that looks pretty interesting, thanks!

2. Julio Cortázar - Rayuela

ha!  i thinking that i should get something by a central or south american author, given my destination (geography nerds can back down, i'm aware that mexico is part of america del norte).  not sure Rayuela qualifies as a beach book, tho, i'm looking for something a little more escapist.  maybe i'll catch up some some classics of the magical realism genre...
<sig>

« Reply #429 on: December 11, 2019, 10:37:12 am »
What beach?
Yucatan - Chicxulub, where the meteor hit 66 million years ago and killed the dinos.
allegedly....news reports from that era have a very high pro-meteor bias :)
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #430 on: December 11, 2019, 10:44:43 am »
Liked Catch and Kill, but wish it wasn't a true story. My cousin is Linda Vester, and she said there are so many other women at NBC who have yet to come forward with their stories.

Just finished The Golden Compass and really liked it. Anyone finished the series? Just started Book 2.

My favorite books of the year were: Room To Dream (auto and bio of David Lynch - required if you like him at all - so great), You Know You Want This - Kristen Rouperian, and The Testaments.

hutch

« Reply #431 on: December 11, 2019, 10:47:30 am »
I am sure you have read Roberto Bolaños “The Savage Detectives”....my favorite read from past 15 years

His short stories are more digestible

« Reply #432 on: December 11, 2019, 10:53:41 am »
I am sure you have read Roberto Bolaños “The Savage Detectives”....my favorite read from past 15 years
agreed...excellent book

Just finished The Golden Compass
His dark materials on HBO now is SOO good.  I'm not sure how it fits in the trilogy or if it's a new story
slack

« Reply #433 on: December 20, 2019, 11:57:22 am »
What beach?
allegedly....news reports from that era have a very high pro-meteor bias :)
you're argument is starting to look flimsy
https://nypost.com/2019/12/18/dinosaurs-may-have-been-poisoned-before-asteroid-hit-study-reveals

but looks like a Volcano may have already been poisoning the dinos prior to the Meteor

Prior to their asteroid-linked extinction, dinosaurs were already struggling to survive due to a sharp increase in mercury levels caused by a massive volcano eruption“what appears to be a global signal of both abrupt ocean warming and distinctly elevated mercury concentrations”
The mass eruption of the Deccan Traps likely happened several thousand years prior to the asteroid that left the Chicxulub crater in the Yucatán Peninsula in Mexico and “lasted, on and off, for nearly a million years.”
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #434 on: December 20, 2019, 01:06:38 pm »

His short stories are more digestible

I have not! Will pick it up!