Author Topic: Beastie boys at 9:30  (Read 36597 times)

Re: Beastie boys at 9:30
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2004, 05:52:00 pm »
Do you think they would play a gig for the Republican National Convention if they were willing to pay the band fee?

Originally posted by Shadrach:
  Given the fact that WHFS is the one giving away all the tix, it would make sense that they are also the ones paying the band. So why would I lose respect for a band doing a paying gig? If you were willing to pay enough money you could probably get them to play in your back yard and invite or keep out whomever you please.

Rupert Pupkin

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2004, 05:53:00 pm »
How the heck do you win tickets?

Shadrach

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2004, 05:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Do you think they would play a gig for the Republican National Convention if they were willing to pay the band fee?

Given the fact that WHFS is the one giving away all the tix, it would make sense that they are also the ones paying the band. So why would I lose respect for a band doing a paying gig? If you were willing to pay enough money you could probably get them to play in your back yard and invite or keep out whomever you please.
[/b]
Probably not, but that would be comprimising their political beliefs, while playing a radio show to promote their new album is part of the business they chose to earn a living in. The two examples have nothing to do with each other.

Shadrach

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2004, 05:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rupert Pupkin:
  How the heck do you win tickets?
Taken from the WHFS home page:

WIN Beastie Boys tickets for the special HFS show at the 930 Club June 17th. Only way to get tickets is to win them from 99.1 HFS The True Alternative. Be caller 9 at 1.800.321.whfs when we tell ya and you are going to the special Beastie Boys HFS show June 17th.

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2004, 06:05:00 pm »
Some people see HFS as the symbol of greedy, corporate radio. Thus, they lack respect for the radio station. By agreeing to play for the radio station, they are thereby associating themselves with evil corporate radio. I would think that those who lack respect for HFS would thereby lose respect for the Beastie Boys.

[/b]
Probably not, but that would be comprimising their political beliefs, while playing a radio show to promote their new album is part of the business they chose to earn a living in. The two examples have nothing to do with each other. [/b]

Shadrach

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2004, 06:15:00 pm »
I guess by that logic you could lose respect for anyone or anything.

Logic: The 9:30 Club is an evil money making venture not really in it for the music, but rather to turn a dollar.

Outcome: Rhett Miller regularly posts on the 9:30 forum therefore must be a supporter of the 9:30 Club. I now have no respect for Rhett Miller.

Hey I'm no fan of Clear Channel, Infinity or Ticket Bastard, but if I were to change my likes and dislikes based upon who worked with them, I'd never listen to another band with any taste of mainstream success.

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2004, 06:21:00 pm »
I could really care less about the Beastie Boys, Clear Channel, or HFS. There not really on my personal radar screen.

I guess my point is the Beastie Boys are successful enough that they can choose who they play shows for, be it the Republican National Convention or WHFS. If they choose to play for someone I don't have respect for, then I would choose to lose respect for them.

But I could care less, because the Beastie Boys are so 1990's anyway.

I guess by that logic you could lose respect for anyone or anything.

Logic: The 9:30 Club is an evil money making venture not really in it for the music, but rather to turn a dollar.

Outcome: Rhett Miller regularly posts on the 9:30 forum therefore must be a supporter of the 9:30 Club. I now have no respect for Rhett Miller.

Hey I'm no fan of Clear Channel, Infinity or Ticket Bastard, but if I were to change my likes and dislikes based upon who worked with them, I'd never listen to another band with any taste of mainstream success.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2004, 06:54:00 pm »
didn't we all label the beasties as complete sell-outs in like 1994? that was high school for me.
o/\o

flawd101

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2004, 10:47:00 pm »
for shows like this it should be sold at the box office only.....tix on sale at 10am(like the blink show)....i guess its back to the radio for me....bcuz i want to go....

i dont think the beastie boys know about hfs being greedy,trend following bastards....so you can't blame them fully.  i also dont think they schedule their tours....

freddyadu

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2004, 11:13:00 pm »
I tried listening to the station today and cried

PigIron

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2004, 04:43:00 pm »
 [QB] Doesn't it make you lose all respect for the band that they would agree to a show like this?

I don't lose respect for them because they are on HFS.  They are a mainstream band and thats going to happen.  I just wish the station didn't play crappy music (and painful cellphone and tv commercials) in between ticket giveaways.  I'm a bit let down that they would allow tickets to be distributed like this.  And enough of the corporate sell out crap.  Any band that quits their day jobs are trying to make as much money as possible, just like anyone else.  If HFS offers to pay me some dough in return for doing my job in front of their banner, I'm probably doing it.  And for the record, I watched the Old 97's play amid a half dozen corporate banners, during a Lollapalooza nevertheless, back in 97.

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2004, 04:57:00 pm »
Fair enough. Your response seems reasonable.

I was just wondering why a band would choose to play a show where all of the ticket distribution was controlled by a radio station. Seems that they are playing their show for the radio station, rather than for their fans. If this is their only area appearance, is that a good thing? Seems maybe they would have been more considerate of their DC fans.

As for the Old 97's playing Lolapalooza (on the second stage, same tour as Korn), Rhett has stated that that whole thing was simply awful. Yes, the Old 97's and Rhett have made some questionable appearances in hopes of broadening their appeal, but hopefully now that they've acheived a moderate amount of success, thaey won't choose to play a show where a crappy radio station controls all the ticket distribution.

I mean, it's not like the Beasties are a struggling young band like the 97's were in '97.

Originally posted by PigIron:

[QB] Doesn't it make you lose all respect for the band that they would agree to a show like this?

I don't lose respect for them because they are on HFS.  They are a mainstream band and thats going to happen.  I just wish the station didn't play crappy music (and painful cellphone and tv commercials) in between ticket giveaways.  I'm a bit let down that they would allow tickets to be distributed like this.  And enough of the corporate sell out crap.  Any band that quits their day jobs are trying to make as much money as possible, just like anyone else.  If HFS offers to pay me some dough in return for doing my job in front of their banner, I'm probably doing it.  And for the record, I watched the Old 97's play amid a half dozen corporate banners, during a Lollapalooza nevertheless, back in 97. [/b]

loopzlp

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2004, 05:10:00 pm »
fyi the beastie's are playing for hfs...not for the fans...i know no one listens to hfs but didn't anyone else notice higher than normal beastie play pre-hfsfestival??? hmmmmm....
 i'd give anything to go to this show but it's not going to happen...

has anyone ever won something on the radio? when they say call now, how long do you keep calling? do they answer right away?  anyone know?

Shadrach

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2004, 05:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by loopzlp:
  fyi the beastie's are playing for hfs...not for the fans...i know no one listens to hfs but didn't anyone else notice higher than normal beastie play pre-hfsfestival??? hmmmmm....

has anyone ever won something on the radio? when they say call now, how long do you keep calling? do they answer right away?  anyone know?
I got lucky once and won tix to see Foo Fighters at the Patriot Center. I happen to be flipping through the stations when they said caller 9 would win the tix. I called and got lucky.

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2004, 05:21:00 pm »
I used to win things on a daily basis from radio stations. But they were college radio stations, so I was probably the only person listening.

Originally posted by loopzlp: