Author Topic: Beastie boys at 9:30  (Read 36595 times)

webjedi

Re: Beastie boys at 9:30
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2004, 06:13:00 pm »
Hmmm, think I stopped listening to HFS in '93, same time I left for college. They used to have some real DJs and played stuff that wasn't jammed down your throat like the SOSDD crap now. They used to have a Sunday morning acousitical show.. now gone. They used to have some good mid-evening and late night DJs... now gone, an replaced by, god forbid, Loveline. They are turning into the radio equivalent of MTV, which is all glam, no real content, self promoting POS.

I've moved on to happier pastures (and better music), or so I thought, until my wife called and demanded tickets. I told her, what I'm about to tell you guys... call the record company and their publicist.. and shoot for press credentials.

Something like what HFS is doing does suck balls, but, you may have to throw 9:30 in there as well to agree to it. SO, it makes three looking out for their financial asses, so to speak, the Beastie Boys (promoting their album), HFS (to get more folks to listen, even if they play crap), and the 9:30 Club (since HFS and The Beastie Boys are paying them... plus think of the alcohol sales!)... so yeah, it's a Clear Channel 3-way circle jerk...

Mobius

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2004, 06:57:00 pm »
I won tickets to see Ozzy with Vixen and White Lion from DC101 a hundred years ago.  And the classic Mick Jagger solo album "Primitive Cool."  And tickets to see Stevie Nicks Merriweather.  I can't help it if I'm lucky . . .

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2004, 08:01:00 am »
The beasties promotion is brilliant for HFS.  They got me to listen for 3 straight days all day, calling in every hour, and i usually listen to talk radio all day.  I now have my fill of Linkin Park, thank you very much.  

Also, they are encouraging everyone to join their email mailing list which will help them grow their list exponentially.  This will help them with advertisers as well, i would think.

I finally won tix yesterday.  The trick is to keep trying.  Even after the line was busy 5 times or so, it rang and after around a dozen excruciating rings I was the 9th caller....

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2004, 08:24:00 am »
Originally posted by webjedi:
  POS.

Something like what HFS is doing does suck balls, but, you may have to throw 9:30 in there as well to agree to it.
so, let me get  this straightâ?¦

we suck for doing the Beastie Boys and giving away most of the tickets

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2004, 08:52:00 am »
yeah damn this capitolistic society we live in...

a little research is also in order as WHFS is owned by Infinity Broadcasting not Clear Channel.  if it was a Clear Channel station the show would have been at Nation anyways.

this could also mean bad news for us Idlewild fans, WHFS might feel obligated to play them now    :eek:
T.Rex

webjedi

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2004, 10:54:00 am »
Seth,

Sorry for glaming 9:30 in there with the rant. I do have to say that the venue is the only place to seemingly see good stuff around here. I was just a little peeved that HFS kind of monopolized the event (okay, yes, Inifinity Broadcasting.. not CC)... it's more of a PR thing for HFS rather than 9:30 Club, or even the Beastie Boys.

The question I have to ask is of HFS listeners, or those who are the Beastie Boys fans is... how often are they playing them. Since everybody says they've had their fill of Incubus.. how often are we hearing the Boys? If they want to promote the concert, you should be hearing them every hour on the hour... now that's a bad PR move.

If I could find a station to take say, a risk, and play diverse artists like: Stereolab, Ocean Colour Scene, Belle & Sebastian, Phish, or any other non-radio friendly artist, I may as well find something worthwhile to listen to in the car. Otherwise it's iPod for life. I have a hard time finding station (outside of some college stations) that will play most of the artists the 9:30 Club gets in... we truly need more of an underground radio movement here... to go along with the music offered.

ggw

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2004, 11:04:00 am »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2004, 11:09:00 am »
your preaching to the choir around here... most of the regulars have left commerical radio for ipods, cds, internet streaming, xm, etc.  commercial radio is all about the lowest common demoninator which in the case of WHFS is what males between 15 & 24 listen to.  look no further than the hfsvital to see what the stations core audience is.

it's not uncommon for a bands back catalog to suddenly comeback into rotation prior to the release of a new record.  and it's also not rare for the backcatalog songs to stick around longer than the new record.
T.Rex

webjedi

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2004, 11:36:00 am »
Kosmo,

I take it by your low member number and the fact you're a moderator, you have some affiliation with the 9:30 Club. Anyhow, I was wondering, since your concert booker/promoter does stuff for a number of venues, why the Club hasn't thought about approaching XM, or even starting your own streaming radio feed on the net?

I'm actually more pissed that 90% of the folks that visit 9:30 don't get air play. I mean I've been to shows, actually asking folks what they listen to (outside of who they're here to see) to see what else there is since '93, I had to find stuff on my own (trust me, it's been fun too).

I mean I was willing to see George Clinton and  P-Funk and James Brown, but also dig into They Might Be Giants and Weird Al Yankovic.. if' that's not opposite ends of the spectrum... I'm not sure what is. I'm probably going to try to see Aimee Mann as well coming up.. the last time I heard one of her songs on the radio, it was about the time the movie White Oleander was released and they tracked the ad with one of her songs.

I congratulate 9:30 and their booking abilities... just going a bit mental of the exclusivity of it. (Y100 and other shows do allow ticket sales, do you guys really know why this one ended up being a radio only promo?)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2004, 11:58:00 am »
my low number only really indicates what a sad bastard i am    :p   other than occasionally djing ati have no official connection with the club. i've been allowed to peak behind the curtain only a few times. the admin function was given to me because i said sure why not.

so possibly one of the other staph members can answer your questions...
T.Rex

llauraann

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2004, 04:33:00 pm »
this was on craigslist.
 I can't go to the Beastie Boys show at the 9:30 club. If you pick up the ticket, its yours. Please call .

this is in or around Falls Church
 though, this person is probably going to hate me if someone already claimed it.

<small>[ 06-10-2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: kosmo vinyl ]</small>

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2004, 04:38:00 pm »
Do you think that person will appreciate you posting his/her phone number here?

freddyadu

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2004, 01:38:00 am »
How are tickets being handled?  Are they transferable?

I mean if two tickets are fetching 611 dollars on Ebay, and may be worth almost a month's rent calling in sick and listening all day, just to sell them.

Rupert Pupkin

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2004, 04:52:00 am »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:

Originally posted by webjedi:
 [qb] we suck for doing the Beastie Boys and giving away most of the tickets [/b]
most?

llauraann

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2004, 12:58:00 pm »
re:Do you think that person will appreciate you posting his/her phone number here?

if they werent going to be bothered by the amount of calls they would get from directly putting that on craigslist, i dont think the calls that they will get from this board (which im sure will pale in comparison) will provide for the heart attack.

edit: but i apologize, bid on at ebay!