Author Topic: Beastie boys at 9:30  (Read 36593 times)

grotty

Re: Beastie boys at 9:30
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2004, 01:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

Yes, the Old 97's and Rhett have made some questionable appearances in hopes of broadening their appeal, but hopefully now that they've acheived a moderate amount of success, thaey won't choose to play a show where a crappy radio station controls all the ticket distribution.

Ugh...What is he doing playing this show?!?!?!?

Fri 06/18/04   Pat McGee Band    
 Fri 06/18/04   Rhett Miller    
 Fri 06/18/04   The Clarks  
 Chevrolet Amphitheatre, Pgh PA

Here's the AMG comparison for Pat McGee:

"Similar Artists: Dave Matthews,  Train,  Hootie & the Blowfish,  Spin Doctors"

And the Clarks may be the lamest, most derivative band to ever try (15 years and counting) and strike out for fame beyond the 3 Rivers area.

Of all the bad bookings...I'm saddened.   :(

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2004, 01:40:00 pm »
Well from what I saw at the recent Pat McGee show I DJed, there will be lots of single women who maybe taken with Rhett's good looks.  This of course if they don't drown the band out with their chatter.  Also be sure to check out the killer line in the review of the latest Pat McGee band.

The one thing I can saw from lurking on the Pat McGee board prior to the show, was his fans are certainly more open to whats "popular" than say the O.A.R. crowd.
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2004, 01:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:

And the Clarks may be the lamest, most derivative band to ever try (15 years and counting) and strike out for fame beyond the 3 Rivers area.
a couple of days ago a guy at work was telling me I should check out The Clarks, I wanted to run away

thirsty moore

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2004, 02:02:00 pm »
Did he start the conversation with, "I love all types of music."

Originally posted by pollard:
 a couple of days ago a guy at work was telling me I should check out The Clarks, I wanted to run away

ratioci nation

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2004, 02:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Did he start the conversation with, "I love all types of music."

[/b]
no, but he easily could have

godsshoeshine

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
my lameass roommates like 4 years ago used to get pissed at my jabs at the clarks. in pittsburgh, they are hot shit for the dave mathews crowd. and now rhett will be too.

oh and as far as single women being there...they're aren't that many single women in pittsburgh

is chevrolet amphitheatre i.c. light renamed??
o/\o

grotty

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2004, 03:55:00 pm »
That's my ultimate litmus test. No longer ever believe a word he says.

bikerchickdc

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2004, 09:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by webjedi:

SO, it makes three looking out for their financial asses, so to speak, the Beastie Boys (promoting their album), HFS (to get more folks to listen, even if they play crap), and the 9:30 Club (since HFS and The Beastie Boys are paying them... plus think of the alcohol sales!)... so yeah, it's a Clear Channel 3-way circle jerk...
Ummmm.... last I checked, the 9:30 was a business. They're supposed to do things that make them get paid. I'm sure there are plenty of shows where the turn-out aint all that great and the club ends up paying the band out more than they take in on the door at least.  Aren't we getting a little spoiled when we fault the club for booking an act that they're going to make money on?

Shadrach

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2004, 06:17:00 pm »
I just heard that DC101 is giving away a trip to see the Beastie Boys in Tokyo, Japan.

darkcrystal

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2004, 12:11:00 am »
Did anyone else feel dated when they saw the Beasite Boys on the MTV Movie Awards?  Wait, most of you probably didn't watch them, they're one of those things I can't give up.  But, damn, MCA looked OLD.  I'm still gonna marry him.

:-D

pravk

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2004, 01:15:00 am »
one of my friends won on sat night / sun morning during the 4:00am hour.  here's how they're handling it: they take down the winner's name during the phone call. that person must present a photo ID between 10a-7p to the HFS van at the 930 club on the day of the show, at which point they get a wristband that is valid for admission + one for a friend. this means that if anyone is selling on ebay/craigslist, theyre planning on either (a) only selling their +1 spot because they want the money more than they want to attend with any of their friends, or (b) somehow transferring the wristband from themself to the buyer -- i would not trust this technique.  if i'm mistaken about any of this, please correct, but that's my understanding of it.

Originally posted by freddyadu:
  How are tickets being handled?  Are they transferable?

I mean if two tickets are fetching 611 dollars on Ebay, and may be worth almost a month's rent calling in sick and listening all day, just to sell them.

Paul Styrene

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2004, 07:55:00 am »
I know I may be dreaming, but what are the chances of a second (late) show being added with tix available for purchase?

mankie

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2004, 11:08:00 am »
I had the unfortunate luck of seeing the Beastie Boys perform on some MTV awards over the weekend.....three 40'ish year old jews get no street cred I'm afraid, and just look silly at this point. They should give up performing and start producing younger bands or something.

nkotb

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
Can you tell me if I have street cred?  I'm a 26 year old non-Jew from Sykesville, MD.

Originally posted by Bollocks:
  I had the unfortunate luck of seeing the Beastie Boys perform on some MTV awards over the weekend.....three 40'ish year old jews get no street cred I'm afraid, and just look silly at this point. They should give up performing and start producing younger bands or something.

mankie

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2004, 12:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotbie:
  Can you tell me if I have street cred?  I'm a 26 year old non-Jew from Sykesville, MD.

Originally posted by Bollocks:
[/b]
Dunno, never seen you onstage trying to rap...although coming from Sykseville, MD...I seriously doubt it.