Author Topic: The Shins... behind white stripes?? why?  (Read 6358 times)

mike9182

The Shins... behind white stripes?? why?
« on: June 23, 2005, 07:51:00 am »
Does anyone else think the White Stripes should be opening for the Shins rather than the other way around?  I can't believe they are finally coming to our area, but only to open for the White Stripes.  Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against the stripes.  Its just that I like the Shins much much more and would love to see them headlining their own show at 930 or black cat... I'd even drive to Merriweather if they were headlining it... and I guess i still might go just to see them open... I cant stand the thought of them playing so close and not being there.  They are certainly popular enough to sell out 930.  Agreed?

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: The Shins... behind white stripes?? why?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 08:01:00 am »
honestly, who gives a fuck?  Both bands are good.  Why do people care so much what pecking order bands play in?   It's like bureaucrats worrying about who has the slighly bigger desk.
_\|/_

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 08:27:00 am »
well, if the Shins play for 40 minutes and the Stripes play for 100, then it certainly matters.

but to the original poster:  come on man, the Stripes will obviously sell more tickets to the general public than the Shins.  Sure the shins are great but let be honest with ourselves....

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 08:28:00 am »
White Stripes sell more albums,  They sell more tickets.  They headline.  It's quite simple really.

Personally I won't brave Merriweather to see either one.

• my blog
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 08:31:00 am »
I have a short attention span so 40 minutes is really enough for any band, in my opinion... except the Pixies...
_\|/_

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 08:34:00 am »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  I have a short attention span so 40 minutes is really enough for any band, in my opinion... except the Pixies...
well then all concerts should accommodate you

• my blog
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 08:41:00 am »
Originally posted by general grievous:
  well then all concerts should accommodate you
that would be cool.
_\|/_

mike9182

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 08:54:00 am »
I realize that the Stripes have a much wider commercial appeal.  I think, however, that the Shins have enough of a commercial appeal to headline their own tour, even if it means more intimate venues than Merriweather.  I am not concerned with the pecking order of the bands... Only the intimacy of the venue, the length of the set, and how convenient it is for me to get there.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 08:58:00 am »
Originally posted by mike9182:
  I realize that the Stripes have a much wider commercial appeal.  I think, however, that the Shins have enough of a commercial appeal to headline their own tour, even if it means more intimate venues than Merriweather.  
You make it sound like they've never toured before.  They played 2 sold-out shows at the Black Cat last year.  I'm sure as soon as they release something new, they'll be playing sold-out 9:30 shows.  They're nowhere near Merriweather-ready though.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 09:05:00 am »
  I realize that the Stripes have a much wider commercial appeal.  I think, however, that the Shins have enough of a commercial appeal to headline their own tour, even if it means more intimate venues than Merriweather.  I am not concerned with the pecking order of the bands... Only the intimacy of the venue, the length of the set, and how convenient it is for me to get there.
Get GA pit tickets and you are  up close and personal with the band... Sure the stage is a little wider than 9:30 club but the there are great sight lines from that area.   Besides the Shins have two records out with 69 minutes of music on them. There is a third on the way which they will likely play the most material from.  Expect a 45 minute set from them.  Merriweather will be a nice venue to see them especially in Sept...

The White Stripes have five records under their belt and huge hit single...
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 09:10:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

The White Stripes have five records under their belt and huge hit single...
and they fuckin RAWWWWWWWWWWWWKKKK!!!!

sorry.

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 09:15:00 am »
Actually, I just downloaded the Stripes new disc (temporarily, dont worry) and was listening to some tracks, and even though their first single "Blue Orchid" is jammin, the rest of the disc seems like its REALLY slow and boring.

i just kinda scanned through it but , whats up with that?  anyone hear the disc yet?

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 09:15:00 am »
But have they toured since the release of Garden State? That's when most people "discovered" the Shins.

Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

I realize that the Stripes have a much wider commercial appeal.  I think, however, that the Shins have enough of a commercial appeal to headline their own tour, even if it means more intimate venues than Merriweather.  
You make it sound like they've never toured before.  They played 2 sold-out shows at the Black Cat last year.  I'm sure as soon as they release something new, they'll be playing sold-out 9:30 shows.  They're nowhere near Merriweather-ready though. [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 09:17:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  But have they toured since the release of Garden State? That's when most people "discovered" the Shins.

personally, I dont see whats so fuckin great about em.

ratioci nation

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 09:17:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:
  personally, I dont see whats so fuckin great about em.
then you must not have seen Garden State!!!