Author Topic: Shooting Kills Man Near Club In Shaw  (Read 8892 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Shooting Kills Man Near Club In Shaw
« on: June 27, 2005, 10:20:00 am »
hey kosmo, can you make this a sticky to keep suburbanites away? (i kid, i kid)

----------------------------------------

Neighbors Call For Kili's to Close

By Lyndsey Layton
 Washington Post Staff Writer
 Monday, June 27, 2005; B01

A soldier who had recently returned from duty in Iraq was killed and another man was critically injured during a shooting early yesterday near a Northwest Washington nightclub whose liquor license renewal has drawn protests from neighborhood activists.

Police officers on patrol near the 1800 block of Eighth Street NW in the Shaw community heard gunshots at 3:05 a.m. and found Antre-Vyn Mason-Black, 24, of Clinton inside a car bleeding from gunshot wounds, D.C. police Sgt. Joe Gentile said. Mason-Black was taken to the medical examiner's office, where he was pronounced dead, Gentile said.

A 23-year-old man who had been on the sidewalk near the car was shot in the neck and was listed in critical and guarded condition at a hospital last night, officials said. That man's identity was not released by police because he is a witness to a crime.

The nightclub near the scene, Kili's Kafe, was hosting a D.C. Caribbean Carnival party Saturday night. Police said it is unclear whether the victims, or the people being questioned in the case, were at the club before the shooting.

But the violence spurred D.C. Council member Jim Graham (D-Ward 1) to ask D.C. Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey yesterday to temporarily shut down Kili's. The Cardozo-Shaw Neighborhood Association already was protesting renewal of the club's liquor license, saying its late-night patrons are a nuisance.

Ramsey declined to shutter the club yesterday, allowing its "Grand Finale" Caribbean Carnival celebration to take place last night. "The investigation is continuing," Gentile said. "We don't have sufficient facts yet to make a decision to close the club."

Ramsey ordered more officers to patrol the streets surrounding the club, near Howard University.

After stopping a car that had been seen speeding from the area of the shooting, police questioned three suspects, and a handgun was recovered from the vehicle. No charges in the shooting had been filed as of late last night, said Lt. Robert Glover. Glover also said that Mason-Black had recently returned from Army duty in Iraq, though no further details were available.

Graham said that Kili's drew hundreds of revelers for the all-night Caribbean party Saturday and that it was the only draw in the neighborhood at that hour. "I want him to shut down this place because this is the source of the violence," Graham said of Ramsey. "What else is there? This is the magnet for violence in the neighborhood."

Gentile said he could not discuss the club's history yesterday or say whether crimes have been associated with it.

Havanah Llewellyn, operations manager for Kili's, said the club was being unfairly linked to the killing. "It's a tragic incident," he said. "I don't think it's related to the club at all. . . . We saw not so much as an argument or a fight that occurred throughout the night. This occurred down the street."

Kili's is trying to be a considerate neighbor, Llewellyn said. On Friday night, when the club attracted nearly 2,000 revelers, it hired seven off-duty police officers at a cost of $3,500 for added security, and no incidents were reported, he said. On the night of the shooting, Kili's relied on its own security and did not hire off-duty police, he said.

Graham and the neighborhood association are protesting the liquor license held by Kili's, arguing that the business generates trash, noise and unruly patrons.

"The neighbors are upset," said Alan Rosenthal of the neighborhood association. "Kili's operates in a way that means late-night noise, after-hours events in violation of its lease, trash and litter and loitering after events. . . . We want them to sit down with us and work out a voluntary agreement that will address these issues."

Graham and Mayor Anthony A. Williams (D) are also trying to revoke the liquor license of Club U in the Reeves Municipal Center after a February incident in which one of its patrons, the victim of a stabbing, died just outside the club. The city's liquor board is expected to make a decision this week, Graham said.

"This is an ongoing controversy," Graham said. "This is not about any other issue but homicide. It's not about go-go. It's not about race. It's just about violence. And the violence must stop."

Staff writer Allan Lengel contributed to this report.

© 2005 The Washington Post Company
(o|o)

Re: Shooting Kills Man Near Club In Shaw
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 12:52:00 pm »
Kill-ie's Cafe?

Bartelby

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 01:29:00 pm »
I find it so tragic that a guy who survived all the bullsh*t in Iraq had to die on the streets of DC.  I'm totally creeped out by this story because a week or so ago, running late to a friend's show at DC9, I had to park my car over near there...It will have an impact on me when I'm trying to do things in the vicinity of DC9/930 club and Velvet Lounge. I feel terrible for both men's families and friends...and what a great idea for Congress to begin proceedings to repeal DC's ban on handguns...Okay you Libertarians, flame me for saying that, but isn't this a case of even with the laws in place, it's still a nightmare?  What happens when they repeal the ban?

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 01:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by BadSushi:
  I find it so tragic that a guy who survived all the bullsh*t in Iraq had to die on the streets of DC.  
Dammit.  I had under 3 hours in the pool.
27>34

filthypit

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 01:45:00 pm »
pussies!

i've got one more year @ old dominion u. (norfolk) and we have a murder/carjacking approx every other week.  i've had a gun pulled on me and know 6 or 7 other people who've been victims as well.

this is all part of the thrill of "urban" life.  it's sad for any families left behind, but it's part of the risk one takes...
 the people who live in these neighborhoods deal with this violence 24/7 - 365.  we only have to deal with it for 4 years.

Bartelby

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by filthypit:
  pussies!

i've got one more year @ old dominion u. (norfolk) and we have a murder/carjacking approx every other week.  i've had a gun pulled on me and know 6 or 7 other people who've been victims as well.

this is all part of the thrill of "urban" life.  it's sad for any families left behind, but it's part of the risk one takes...
 the people who live in these neighborhoods deal with this violence 24/7 - 365.  we only have to deal with it for 4 years.
wow, dood, that's a bizarre view...cause YOU only see it for four years, it's just a fact of life - and we're pussies for thinking it's wrong?  Are you a philosophy major? Hey, by the way, accepting status quo is not in the spirit of Bono...
   :p

smakawhat

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 03:07:00 pm »
I was actually down at this place around 7 at a house party across the street.  Of course the shooting took place at 3 AM..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/26/AR2005062600957.html

too friggin weird.

Bartelby

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 03:39:00 pm »
There's another story in the Post Metro section about a 28 year old man found shot on the sidewalk in front of Felix in Adams Morgan on the same night - at 3:50 a.m...WTF!

AlanOnymous

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 04:35:00 pm »
Looks like the DC Eagle is going to have to relocate...

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 09:03:00 am »
I hate my neighbors sometimes...

The shooting didn't take place at the club, just near it. Who's to say the same people weren't over at the Backbar or at the show at the 930 Club? I mean it's all the same area! Gentrification in effect woohoo! Close anything "black" related in the 3rd District now!

I saw that someone else was shot up in Adams Morgan, why aren't neighbors calling for action and shut all the bars down on 18th St? I mean seriously, all these indie-yuppies (yes stolen from the other thread) coming into the city to live only to find out, it's not crime free. What did you expect? People are pissed they're getting pushed further and further out and their rent is going up and up.

Hell just this past weekend, two of my neighbors had their yuppie mobiles broken into and their XM radios stolen, right in the back of our alleyway in their driveways. Doesn't surprise me at all...

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 09:08:00 am »
Yes, I'm always hearing of shootings on the local news in PG County and DC, and it's always those goddamn white people doing all of the shooting.

Originally posted by MindCage:
  I hate my neighbors sometimes...

The shooting didn't take place at the club, just near it. Who's to say the same people weren't over at the Backbar or at the show at the 930 Club? I mean it's all the same area! Gentrification in effect woohoo! Close anything "black" related in the 3rd District now!

I saw that someone else was shot up in Adams Morgan, why aren't neighbors calling for action and shut all the bars down on 18th St? I mean seriously, all these indie-yuppies (yes stolen from the other thread) coming into the city to live only to find out, it's not crime free. What did you expect? People are pissed they're getting pushed further and further out and their rent is going up and up.

Hell just this past weekend, two of my neighbors had their yuppie mobiles broken into and their XM radios stolen, right in the back of our alleyway in their driveways. Doesn't surprise me at all...

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 09:10:00 am »
DC: An Exciting Place to Live, Work & Die.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 10:34:00 am »
"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very, very low crime rate."

-Marion Barry

smakawhat

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 02:48:00 pm »
I can't find any confirmation about this shooting in front of Felix's... what;s the deal?

ratioci nation

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 03:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by smakawhat:
  I can't find any confirmation about this shooting in front of Felix's... what;s the deal?
there was very little info in the blurb in the Post, i would paste a link but the Post's search is down right now