Author Topic: iphone  (Read 377987 times)

vansmack

Re: iphone
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2009, 04:01:59 pm »
Verizon Said to Be in Talks for the iPhone

Can't happen with this iPhone as there is no CDMA version, only GSM.  So maybe the next one or some other version of the phone (I'm hearing "iPhone lite").

If Apple and Verizon were smart, they would not build a CDMA version and instead work on an LTE version which could work on both at&t and Verizon, but of course we are at least a year or two away from LTE reaching the masses.

what I really suspect Verizon and Apple are talking about is being the data carrier for Apple laptops, since we all now the CDMA networks far surpass the GSM networks on data speeds.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 04:04:02 pm by vansmack »
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2009, 04:21:43 pm »
number one, withe all these funky phones that do everything nowadays (i feel depressed when i hear that the phone is the new "thing" to replace computers as the "do everything you will need" in one gadget) it makes me even sadder that nothing, besides the instinct is available for sprint.  the instinct is fine, but i am assuming nowhere near the power/substance of the blackberries/iphones.   is sprint the red headed child of the phone world? 

number two, has iphone released, or are they going to release an app that some people are saying will kill sat. radio?  it allows the phone to listen to internet radio stations, pandora, etc...(for free) in your car?  that will crush sirius who charges 14.00 a month plus x fee for listening on the internet plus x fees for switching radios.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2009, 04:29:39 pm »
Verizon Said to Be in Talks for the iPhone

Can't happen with this iPhone as there is no CDMA version, only GSM.  So maybe the next one or some other version of the phone (I'm hearing "iPhone lite").

If Apple and Verizon were smart, they would not build a CDMA version and instead work on an LTE version which could work on both at&t and Verizon, but of course we are at least a year or two away from LTE reaching the masses.

what I really suspect Verizon and Apple are talking about is being the data carrier for Apple laptops, since we all now the CDMA networks far surpass the GSM networks on data speeds.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10227945-94.html?tag=mncol;txt

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2009, 05:15:34 pm »
number one, withe all these funky phones that do everything nowadays (i feel depressed when i hear that the phone is the new "thing" to replace computers as the "do everything you will need" in one gadget) it makes me even sadder that nothing, besides the instinct is available for sprint.  the instinct is fine, but i am assuming nowhere near the power/substance of the blackberries/iphones.   is sprint the red headed child of the phone world? 

if you're on sprint, give the HTC phones a try.  i really really like my HTC Touch, and it's at least 2 years old.  they are really nice & powerful phones.  i prefer HTCs to the instinct.
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2009, 05:31:26 pm »
number two, has iphone released, or are they going to release an app that some people are saying will kill sat. radio?  it allows the phone to listen to internet radio stations, pandora, etc...(for free) in your car?  that will crush sirius who charges 14.00 a month plus x fee for listening on the internet plus x fees for switching radios.

There are apps that allow users to listen to any internet radio stream (Tuner is one). I used it once to listen to WMUC along US-50 from the Beltway to Annapolis. It dropped out a couple of times because of lousy 3G coverage along the highway. In more heavily covered 3G areas, it probably stays connected much better.
😐 🎶

vansmack

« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2009, 06:03:39 pm »
if you're on sprint, give the HTC phones a try.  i really really like my HTC Touch, and it's at least 2 years old.  they are really nice & powerful phones.  i prefer HTCs to the instinct.

I love my HTC Touch Diamond, and I still think the Diamond series are the best phones on the market.

I'd maybe give the Palm Pre a chance as well (exclusively on Sprint) - I hear it's going to be a great phone.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2009, 11:31:05 pm »
I'd maybe give the Palm Pre a chance as well (exclusively on Sprint) - I hear it's going to be a great phone.

be weary of the voices in your head :P
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2009, 06:59:12 pm »
be weary of the voices in your hand

Will do.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2009, 01:26:28 am »
Apple plots course for middle of mobile

* Apple plans to develop a device that fits in between the iPhone and MacBook
    * Personal computer industry has long tried to make such a device a reality
    * Samsung made perhaps best-received UMPC, but that isn't saying much
    * This device would be more attractive with wide-area wireless networking

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/ptech/04/29/cnet.apple.mobile.computer/index.html
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2009, 11:58:42 am »
    * This device would be more attractive with wide-area wireless networking

Hence the discussion with Verizon....

And by the way, that device is called a netbook.  Welcome to the game, Apple.

But if they're talking OQO style UMPC, might as well just buy that company and all their assets as they're in big trouble.  And at $2K per device, it's already in their price range, too.

Nonetheless, this techcrunch tablet prototype is my next device:

27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2009, 12:08:06 pm »
how much is that going to be
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2009, 12:27:17 pm »
And by the way, that device is called a netbook.  Welcome to the game, Apple.

no it isn't.  this thing won't have a keyboard.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2009, 12:36:22 pm »
how much is that going to be

Michael Arrington, who is spearheading the 12 inch touchscreen web browser only project running on linux was shooting for $200, but it looks like it's going to be around $299.

It will likely be free with a data plan from a phone provider.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:42:45 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2009, 12:41:49 pm »
no it isn't.  this thing won't have a keyboard.

Then it's what I posted in that picture, and there's no way Apple comes in under $300.  I will go out on a limb and say they don't come in under $598.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2009, 12:43:39 pm »
hmmm
o/\o