Author Topic: Joe Strummer R.I.P.  (Read 73919 times)

ggw

Re: Joe Strummer R.I.P.
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2002, 04:48:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nkotb:<BR><B>I know it was a Will Smith song, but I'm not sure which one.  I'm guessing "Will2K?"<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You are correct, sir.

nkotb

« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2002, 04:52:00 pm »
I'm not sure whether I should be proud or extremely embarrassed...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ggw:<BR><B> You are correct, sir.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

markie

« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2002, 05:00:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Doom:<BR><B>  What are you, a bleedin' Brit?<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>ding Ding DING.<P>Have you got an elastoplast to well the bleedin'?

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2002, 11:13:00 pm »
The Clash "Takes The Fifth"......1980 at Richie Coliseum....University of Maryland....London Calling Tour....That show rocked my world......Thanks for the fucking great time Joe!!....R.I.P.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2002, 03:43:00 am »
I am highly envious of anyone who saw the Clash.
_\|/_

Henry Dark

« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2002, 10:08:00 am »
And now for the other side of the coin...<BR> <A HREF="http://www.fraterslibertas.com/blogger.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.fraterslibertas.com/blogger.html[/url]  <P>Wednesday, December 25, 2002<BR>Vain In Vain; Strummer Joe dies; The Younger Yawns<P>From The Younger:<P><BR>To say that the media has been effusive in their praise of recently departed Clash founder Strummer Joe is a serious understatement. Hopefully there is still time for Time to get him nominated for Person Of the Year. I can??t turn on the TV or open a newspaper without being bombarded with cloying gush about how brilliant the Clash were or what a Master Genius (12 allowed per year) Strummer Joe was. To wit (from the Star Tribune): ??The songs of the Clash railed against apathy, powerlessness, police brutality, American Cultural Domination (caps mine), and poseurs of all sorts?.<P>Hey Star Tribune, the poseur was Strummer Joe and punk music in general.<P><BR>Another: ??The band??s ??London Calling?? is widely regarded as one of the most important rock albums of all time.?<P><BR>I see this as a good time to make the point that IF I HEAR ONE MORE FUCKING THING ABOUT ??IMPORTANT? FUCKING RECORDS I??M GOING TO DRIVE A TELECASTER THROUGH BONO??S MELON!<P><BR>Am I the only one that does not look for music to be ??Important?? I want music that excites my senses??I can??t imagine relaxing with a cocktail and Frank??s Songs For Swingin?? Lovers and thinking ??Yeah, this is one important record?. Give me groove goddammit. Give me excellent musicians at the peak of their craft. Give me someone who can paint a picture with their words without being overbearing. Give me a vocalist who can convey what they are feeling through their God-given ability to sing in tune and with power. Keep your teenage Take On The World to yourself. Punk is music for teenagers. Hear me adults? Adults USED to listen to adult music but that died with rock n?? roll (of which punk is just an offshoot, not some other genre as it pretends to be?SIDE NOTE: I??d rather listen to every Foghat, Boston and Toto record ever made than to have to sit though one side of a Clash record ). <P><BR>I was listening to more fawning yesterday on NPR (including one question from a woozy host: ??How will Strummer??s death affect modern music??) and the Music Authority they had on said that basically the Clash were braveandgoodandsmartandstrident because they called their record ??Sandinista? in an era ???where the Regan white house had labeled the Sandinistas to be a dangerous communist regime.? Right. Reagan made them commies out of whole cloth and the brave punks were Telling It Like It Was.<P><BR>What irks me about critics and fans of punk is that these people earnestly believe this is the music of the smart set. I??m convinced that critics have to start using terms like ??important? to describe music (MUSIC!) because they are desperately trying to imbue their own lives with importance because they live in a malaise of despair, nihilism, cynicism and leftist politics (see John Bream). When a band comes along that echoes their dark take on this life they are hailed as Jesus Incarnate. <BR>Those that read these influential critics merely follow suit because they too consider themselves smart (I??ll bet 5 grand Janine Garofalo has every Clash record).<P><BR>I??d like to ask fans of this genre one question: do you feel joy from listening to some disaffected, post-modern, art-school-dropout English wanker rail against capitalism and Mean People? Does that bring joy to you? Does it? How can you feel anything but hatred from listening to hatred? <P><BR>Great quote from the man himself: ??If you aint thinkin?? about man and God and law, then you aint thinkin?? about nothin??? This from the son of a foreign service officer who was raised in excellent schools. You see, dropping your G??s makes you more authentic.<BR>This is an almost comical level of self-importance and pretension.<P>Has their ever been a more musically correct band than the Clash? Or a more musically correct form of music than punk? The way the media and every critic imaginable has embraced this mostly poorly played, juvenile, snotty lifestyle-in-a-can punk BS is remarkable. Apparently, the younger generation has indeed listened to their boomer elders in embracing punk as bands like Sum 41 and Good Charlotte carry on with the tired clichés and worn-out riffs (albeit with better hooks and Avril Lavingne can skate8r n my driveway any day).<P><BR>Punks like Strummer Joe always claimed that they were the sort of ??Anti-hippies? but I see many more similarities than differences: 1. The belief in being ??Authentic? to the point of establishing conformist rules of behavior (punk is simply another lifestyle-in-a-can and has always been). 2. Dismissal of normal healthy living (healthy people don??t die at age 50) as a bourgeois conceit. 3. The infantile notion that there are Powerful Forces at work in the world to oppress the smart truth-seekers who ??Get it?.<P><BR>Well I get it and I think its crap. It will be interesting to see how the media treats the death of a real music legend like George Jones when he??s gone. Do you think we will see his picture and death notice on the front page of the Star Tribune?<P>

bearman🐻

« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2002, 11:06:00 am »
Henry Dark, you're entitled to your own opinion, but some musicians come along that make everyone else stop what they're doing and say "WHOAH".  The Clash did exactly that.  For the time they came around, they gave people something with meat on the bone to chew on.  When someone like Joe Strummer passes onto the next world (if you believe in that sort of thing), it creates a sense of loss and we can't help but look back on his accomplishments and feel like this is a pretty major blow to the music world.  In general I agree that most critics blow, but it is pretty difficult to dispute that the Clash made a significant impact on a lot of other great musicians, and their music has withstood the test of time.  And for the record, yes, the CLash's music has given me hours of joy and happiness.

Henry Dark

« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2002, 11:10:00 am »
I didn't write the article, and I didn't say I agreed with it.<P>   I'm not so blindly worshipful of Joe Strummer to not at least see some humor in the article, and some truth in it. Doesn't mean I'm endorsing it, just thought I'd post it.

bearman🐻

« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2002, 11:13:00 am »
I apologize...guess I should have directed that to the guy who wrote it.  :-)

Henry Dark

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2002, 11:16:00 am »
No problem...I should have probably started a new thread with it rather than posting it in a thread more or less meant to be a tribute to him.

markie

« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2002, 01:00:00 pm »
I dont see what truth there is in it at all. <BR>what truth do you see rhett?<P>perhaps this is telling: "SIDE NOTE: I??d rather listen to every Foghat, Boston and Toto record ever made than to have to sit though one side of a Clash record ). "<P>Has this person actually listened to anything other than rock the casbah on the radio.<P>As for the jibes of being poorly played or just angry, well, thats just nonsense.<P>Sure he was at an expensive school, but then went on to live in a squat for about 7 years.<P>I thought it was impressive the clash have such a back catalogue, 5 albums, without one love song. I guess tat is what the reviewer wants, hit me one more time?

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2002, 01:08:00 pm »
I think the one and only truth in that article is the pomposity with which rock critics go around declaring things to be "important."<P>Other than that, that guy's an ignorant boob.   Even if you don't like the Clash, Boston, Toto, and Foghat are crap.
_\|/_

Celeste

« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2002, 01:09:00 pm »
I found some truth in "The way the media and every critic imaginable has embraced this mostly poorly played, juvenile, snotty lifestyle-in-a-can punk BS is remarkable."<P>But I still think we should be nice and respectful, since the guy just died.<P>and the thing about stuff being "important"...yeah<p>[This message has been edited by Celeste (edited 12-27-2002).]

markie

« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2002, 01:20:00 pm »
so music cant be important? Well the reviewers are only justifying their own reviews?<P>So then can any form of art be important?<P>the visual arts, opera, architecture, all of that is art and therefore umimportant too?<P>In the list of top 100 Britains it was interesting to see a couple of popular musicians and no visual artists, even though some of the very best painters were/are British.<P>Perhaps pop musics accesibility to the masses earned some of its creators a place on the list? <P>do you think music is not important because you are an eliteist?

ggw

« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2002, 01:22:00 pm »
I think the media and the critics are just nostalgic, as punk was the last musical movement that meant anything.  The author of the piece below seems to be nostalgic as well, for Lawrence Welk and Arthur Murray dance studios and the days when "Adults USED to listen to adult music" before that heathen rock music warped everyone's semsibilities.