Author Topic: ticket inflation + ticketmaster  (Read 9672 times)

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
Re: ticket inflation + ticketmaster
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 10:19:00 am »
this past Saturday you could've bought your Coldplay lawn ticket for $18 (plus "lowered" fees) as part of the Live 8 promotion.  But you would've had to be on-line first thing in the a.m. I think they sold-out the $18 tix pretty quickly as they weren't available on Sunday.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 10:43:00 am »
Originally posted by chancegardener:
  this past Saturday you could've bought your Coldplay lawn ticket for $18 (plus "lowered" fees) as part of the Live 8 promotion.  But you would've had to be on-line first thing in the a.m. I think they sold-out the $18 tix pretty quickly as they weren't available on Sunday.
right, i tried buying those...

okay.  so, to turn this around, how do some of you guys avoid using ticketmaster?
 usually, when i end up waiting to buy tickets the night of at the club, they've gone sell-out on my ass.

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 10:50:00 am »
Where does a 15 year old get all this money?

Originally posted by you be betty:
  oh dear, i know.  
 last april i payed close to $200 to see u2, and that was a cheap ticket, and i'm still broke from the occasion...

i guess what i forgot to convey in my original post was being pissed at how ticketmaster somehow took a $31 ticket up to $45.  because, y'know, it's just  that expensive to "handle" my ticket, and "process" my order, and all.

and :EDIT: what i have still meant to say is that...how can they get away with that?  i know it's slightly hypocritical that i am still paying for it, but...ticketmaster...how??

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 11:17:00 am »
Well Nissan and Clear Channel are the reamers of the universe, so unless you go to the Nissan box office itself that's the only way you'll save a bit of $$ (I think the only fee they won't charge is shipping ... they'll still charge a Ticketmaster fee even though you're at the venue itself!).  Merriweather has a new policy that there are no fees if you pay cash at their box office directly.  So when it's a $25 lawn seat you pay just $25 .. amazing! Thanks IMP. And re the 930 you have to go to the box office itself to avoid excessive fees (they charge $1 extra for some reason).

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 11:47:00 am »
Here's a really funny and somewhat fucking aggravating thing I noticed. I think there is not that much of a difference with Ticketmaster and Tickets.Com. It's just Tickets.com retail outlets are nowhere near where I live and that is a severe pain in the ass. I have a Tower Records less than ten minutes away and I can't buy tickets there anymore in person for the 9:30 like I used to be able to when they used Ticketmaster. But the funny part is this. They have a GIANT cork board right next to the Ticketmaster desk advertising all 9:30 club shows!! How fucking wrong is that?? We'll advertise the shows right in front of you,but I'll be goddamn if you can buy the tickets HERE! You gotta run out to some friggin' location 15 miles way to buy your ticks instead.Brilliant sales strategy,indeed! I get great joy in hammering the poor,hapless clerks behind the counter when I ask why the hell I can't buy 9:30 ticks when there is a huge ad for the show right next to them as they stand beside the ticketmaster computer....and they just remark "I don't know,kinda dumb isn't it?".....just strange.....

Bags

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 12:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:

That's not much money -- hello, a couple of shows?  And she expressly noted that the $200 U2 ticket is still being felt by her pocketbook.  I had a job when I was 15, and very lucky to have virtually no expenses.  So, what does a 15 year old with some cash do?  Buy and see music, of course (at least the cool ones do...)!

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2005, 12:37:00 pm »
   how do some of you guys avoid using ticketmaster?

dont go to Ticketmaster shows. doesnt get any simpler than that!

godsshoeshine

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2005, 02:41:00 pm »
you love boycotting stuff
o/\o

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2005, 03:31:00 pm »
yeah  ;)

well, you can either boycott the stuff you think is wrong or bad, or complain about it.  

most people dont like to boycott things.

i dont like to complain. (yes, except on the message board, this is my place to vent!)

Jaguär

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 05:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:
    most people dont like to boycott things.

That's because it seems that most people are sheeple.

PigIron

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2005, 06:15:00 pm »
[/QUOTE]That's because it seems that most people are sheeple. [/QB][/QUOTE]

In some cases, sure.  But in most cases, people don't like to boycott because they actually enjoy or need the product they are being asked to boycott.

For example, I boycott lots of crap.   Boycotting Nike for example, because of whatever sweatshop reason, is easy.  In my opinion, Nike sucks anyway.  There is hardly any sacrifice there for me.  Every once in awhile I'm in a store and they only have Nike crap.  Minor inconvenience.  Go to another store.

Boycotting TM however is difficult.  I can't think of a corporation I loathe more.  But if TM is the only reasonable outlet for whatever event I want to go to (I can't mush up to Montreal and buy at the  ticket window for hockey tickets, for example) I'm screwed.  I can boycott TM, but I end up being pissed when the event rolls around.  And in the end, I've accomplished little - TM doesn't even know who I am.

you be betty

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2005, 11:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:

oh dear, i know.  
 last april i payed close to $200 to see u2, and that was a cheap ticket, and i'm still broke from the occasion...

i guess what i forgot to convey in my original post was being pissed at how ticketmaster somehow took a $31 ticket up to $45.  because, y'know, it's just  that expensive to "handle" my ticket, and "process" my order, and all.

and :EDIT: what i have still meant to say is that...how can they get away with that?  i know it's slightly hypocritical that i am still paying for it, but...ticketmaster...how??
[/b]
i actually worked, for a whole year.  $15 a week.  almost every cent of it went to that show.

you be betty

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2005, 11:55:00 pm »
oops.  i didn't mean to repost.  i meant to add on to above, that...
 i, unfortunately, am not a spoiled little rich kid. i might just be the only kid in bethesda without a cell phone and credit card.  but i get $12 a week from my parents--covering everything. when i want to go to shows, i'll end up staying in the house isolated + not going out so i can pay for my ticket. but usually it is worth my while. nobody will really hire me so much since i'm under 16 so i can't do a whole lot other than tutoring, which is my $15 a week. which ended. so i am broke...yet again.

Sailor Ripley

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2005, 08:33:00 am »
 nobody will really hire me so much since i'm under 16 so i can't do a whole lot other than tutoring, which is my $15 a week. which ended. so i am broke...yet again.
Go cut some lawns. Tax free and you'll make a lot more than $15/week. I'm sure Rhett needs his lawn cut.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2005, 08:48:00 am »
Babysit, wash you neighbor's car, pull weeds, rake leaves, mow lawns...just a few ideas.  All things I used to do when I was a kid.  

Babysitting is easy...we usually give $8/an hour or so.

I'm being serious when I say that if one of the neighborhood kids just knocked on my door and asked if I needed any work done I'd probably put them to work for the day.  Why don't you try it?