Author Topic: Pitchfork's top 50 of 2002  (Read 78048 times)

markie

Re: Pitchfork's top 50 of 2002
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2002, 01:27:00 pm »
I dont have the streets album yet..... I will get it though. I thought the single that keeps getting played is rather good.....<P>Anyone here know who John Cooper Clark is though?

Sir HC

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2002, 01:29:00 pm »
Well I own five, seen about 15-20 of the bands live, and will have to go out and buy at least 4 of the records on the list.  Dalek is killer, a quote from them once was "We want to be the My Bloody Valentine of Hip-Hop".  Any band with a wah pedal for the dj is too cool.

Sir HC

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2002, 01:31:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>I dont have the streets album yet..... I will get it though. I thought the single that keeps getting played is rather good.....<P>Anyone here know who John Cooper Clark is though?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>John Cooper Clark, wasn't he a poet from the late 70's early 80's who would do live performances at concerts?  He is in the movie "Urgh, A music War" and his albums are reviewed in Trouser's Press.  This is from memory, so I could be wrong, I could be right.

markie

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2002, 01:41:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir HC:<BR><B>  I could be wrong, I could be right.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>they put a hot wire to your head beacuse of the things you did and said?<P>Oooops, Sounds about right to me. He was an urban punk poet very much in the streets style.<P>I keep meaning to buy his old albums....

Henry Dark

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2002, 01:41:00 pm »
I was only joking about the Streets. I've heard a couple of things off of it and found it highly annoying. But then again, I probably haven't bought any hip hop since Public Enemy's Fear of a Black Planet came out.<P>[ <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>I dont have the streets album yet..... I will get it though. I thought the single that keeps getting played is rather good.....<P>Anyone here know who John Cooper Clark is though?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

markie

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2002, 01:44:00 pm »
Perhaps you could supplant annoying with challenging.<P>I would.

Henry Dark

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2002, 01:46:00 pm »
Sorry, white guys rapping are always just annoying to me. Maybe his lyrics are relevant and all, so maybe I'll just stick to reading the lyric sheet.

Sir HC

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2002, 02:04:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> they put a hot wire to your head beacuse of the things you did and said?<P>Oooops, Sounds about right to me. He was an urban punk poet very much in the streets style.<P>I keep meaning to buy his old albums....</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So it is him in the movie.  He is beyond funny, starts his poem with a heckler who I guess yells "Turn the lights off!", then he says "Turn the lights off?  What do you mean I'm a visual act".  Hear he has a live album that is the best, someday I will get that one.  Better not buy my copy!

ggw

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2002, 03:55:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>Kind of hard for me to take seriously a list that only includes one (Neko Case) alt-country/country/folk/bluegrass/rockabilly/blues/roots rock album out of 50.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My God!!! An indie-oriented hipster-zine not including alt.country -- oh the horror!!!  You don't think this list might be....dare I say....<I>subjective</I>? And geared toward its readership??<P>Should we discount altcountrytab.com's year-end list because it doesn't include hip-hop?<P>Should we ignore No Depression because they don't include any electroclash?<P>Pitchfork's list was in keeping with the zine's general worldview.  No surprises.

thirsty moore

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2002, 03:58:00 pm »
Those fuckers didn't include Lawrence Welk.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ggw:<BR><B> My God!!! An indie-oriented hipster-zine not including alt.country -- oh the horror!!!  You don't think this list might be....dare I say....<I>subjective</I>? And geared toward its readership??</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

jadetree

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2002, 04:03:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ggw:<BR> altcountrytab.com's year-end list B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>1 - Rhett Miller - The Instigator<BR>2 - Tift Merrit - Bramble Rose<BR>3 - Josh Rouse - Under Cold Blue Stars<BR>4 - Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around<BR>5 - Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot<BR>6 - Chris Mills - The Silver Line<BR>7 - Ryan Adams - Demolition<BR>8 - Richmond Fontaine - Winnemucca<BR>9 - Peter Bruntnell - Ends Of The Earth<BR>10 - Neko Case - Blacklisted<P>I have two of these, but should eventually have 4 of them. No hip-hop, hmmmm.

Sir HC

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2002, 04:15:00 pm »
And two of them are on the Pitchfork list too.  Wilco is number two IIRC.

Jaguär

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2002, 09:15:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir HC:<BR><B> John Cooper Clark, wasn't he a poet from the late 70's early 80's who would do live performances at concerts?  He is in the movie "Urgh, A music War" and his albums are reviewed in Trouser's Press.  This is from memory, so I could be wrong, I could be right.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yes, he is. In fact, he had just recently (this past Spring/Summer) been doing a few readings in England before a some shows....possibley Doves but not sure of that. There is a possibility that it may have just been a film of him reading but I think he was actually there. <P>

Jaguär

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2002, 09:20:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> I have not even heard/heard of that many. It seems that only obscure new bands and Eminem need apply.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I've heard of 30 of them but it is an odd list. <P>

Henry Dark

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2002, 09:40:00 am »
Not being a reader of Pitchfork, I had no orientation of what their musical direction was. Whereas the name "altcountrytab.com" pretty much tells me the musical agenda that that zine is pushing (I don't read that online zine either, but could guess what their best of list would be like based on the name), the name Pitchfork really tells me nothing about what music they would cover (unless I hearken back to the days of growing up on the farm, using a pitchfork to scoop up three feet of calf shit in the back stalls of our cow barn...and that would remind me of the bad mainstream country radio my Dad would play because my Dad said the cows would give more milk listening to that than the classic rock I wanted to hear).<BR>   Based on a few links that you had posted in the past, I would have hoped for Pitchfork to be a more musically eclectic site that (ala KEXP) embraced the vital new music of both somewhat established artists (eg the ones Markie mentioned) as well as newer artists...with a mix of rock, jazz, country, world, folk, hip hop, bluegrass etc.<BR>   What it appears to be (based on reading these 50 reviews) is a site with people writing reviews that make me go "What the fuck did he just say?" about obscure indie bands and a sprinkling of mainstream rap (presumably to prove how "down" they are with the hip hop nation?)<BR>   Thus, perhaps my guesses about what type of site it it were just wrong. Given the slant toward obscurity and the non-inclusiveness of it genre wise (in my opinion), I think I'll stick to listening to KEXP or reading the Village Voice Pazz and Jop Poll. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/pazznjop/01/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/pazznjop/01/[/url] <P>  <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ggw:<BR><B> My God!!! An indie-oriented hipster-zine not including alt.country -- oh the horror!!!  You don't think this list might be....dare I say....<I>subjective</I>? And geared toward its readership??<P>Should we discount altcountrytab.com's year-end list because it doesn't include hip-hop?<P>Should we ignore No Depression because they don't include any electroclash?<P>Pitchfork's list was in keeping with the zine's general worldview.  No surprises.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>