Author Topic: Pitchfork's top 50 of 2002  (Read 77993 times)

jsnow2

Re: Pitchfork's top 50 of 2002
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2002, 11:36:00 am »
I love the Liars record, and I think Hot Snakes could have been ranked higher.  I also would have liked to have seen the new J Mascis and the Fog, The Catheters new record, the Mars Volta E.P. Tremulant, Sparta's Wiretap Scars, Queens of the Stone Age Songs For The Deaf, and the new Rocket from the Crypt.  But that is just because of my own personal tastes.  I understand that would be completely biased.  Interpol is a nice record, certainly welcome in a top 50, but not the best record of the year.

jsnow2

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2002, 11:39:00 am »
Henry Dark - I can appreciate your feeling that pitchfork is slanted and disenchanted.  But the Village Voice list has records from 2001.  I am not sure that is much better.

Henry Dark

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2002, 11:47:00 am »
Tis true, but we are still in 2002. Thus, the Best of 2002 really shouldn't come out until 2002 is over. I just put the link up as a point of comparison. I'm sure that one of us on the board will put up the 2002 list once it is revealed, probably next month.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jsnow2:<BR><B>Henry Dark - I can appreciate your feeling that pitchfork is slanted and disenchanted.  But the Village Voice list has records from 2001.  I am not sure that is much better.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

jadetree

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2002, 01:01:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>  What it appears to be (based on reading these 50 reviews) is a site with people writing reviews that make me go "What the fuck did he just say?" about obscure indie bands and a sprinkling of mainstream rap (presumably to prove how "down" they are with the hip hop nation?)<BR>  </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www.obscureindiebandssomemainstreamrapbecausewearedowntab.com" TARGET=_blank>www.obscureindiebandssomemainstreamrapbecausewearedowntab.com[/url]  is a great site

ggw

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2002, 05:32:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>What it appears to be (based on reading these 50 reviews) is a site with people writing reviews that make me go "What the fuck did he just say?" about obscure indie bands and a sprinkling of mainstream rap   </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Obscure indie bands like Tom Waits, Beck, Neko Case, Sonic Youth, Sleater-Kinney, and Wilco?<P>Under the name "Pitchfork" it reads "Independent Music Daily"  which seems like a tip-off that it might be about independent music (and that it is updated daily).<P>You may not like it, but I bet you will see the Pitchfork top 3 (Interpol, Wilco, ..Trail of Dead) on more than a few year-end "Best of" lists.

markie

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2002, 05:53:00 pm »
Hey GGW, did someone not tell you that its the season of good will to all men?<P>Anyhow I kinda agree with Rhett, picking out 5 less obscure acts, if you like, although I doubt most people in the street know who Neko Case or most of the others are......<P>It is a very obscure list that refuses to even nod to the likes of Supergrass or Gomez, but likes Waits and Eminem and 30 other acts I have never heard of.<P>Besides if they had picked something else as their #1 album of the year I might give them some credit. As it is, I dont.

ggw

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2002, 06:00:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>Hey GGW, did someone not tell you that its the season of good will to all men?<P>Anyhow I kinda agree with Rhett, picking out 5 less obscure acts, if you like, although I doubt most people in the street know who Neko Case or most of the others are......<P>It is a very obscure list that refuses to even nod to the likes of Supergrass or Gomez, but likes Waits and Eminem and 30 other acts I have never heard of.<P>Besides if they had picked something else as their #1 album of the year I might give them some credit. As it is, I dont.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Bah fucking humbug.<P>Pitchfork has always been pretentious and independenter-than-thou.  I'm actually a little surprised at how "mainstream" their top choices are.  And they definitely have a U.S. over U.K. bias.  Although, I don't think Supergrass has been released in the U.S. yet, so you can hope for its appearance on the 2003 list.

markie

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2002, 06:19:00 pm »
alright GGW fair enough. One thing though. I have gone out of my way to get someone to give me their opinion of interpol, and no one has. <P>Why is that, and what do you think?

Jaguär

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2002, 07:05:00 pm »
Okay, Pitchfork is too Amerocentric for me. Though I lean towards British music, I prefer my music sites, etc, to be more inclusive than just one nationality. It's just too limiting for my tastes. <P>Markie, I like Interpol though they can leave me a little cold at times. I do have to be in the mood for them but definitely like them. The best album of the year? Nope. Not in my opinion. What is? I don't know and don't even feel like thinking about it but Interpol would, at best, be somewhere in the top 10 but not #1. Personally, I tend to like very dark and somber music, which Interpol is. Must be something that resonates with my personality. I do think that they need to work with filling out their songs a little more. A few more dynamics or something. Hopefully, they will be there soon enough otherwise the Hip Set might just get bored with them when the next best thing comes around.

Relaxer

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2002, 11:06:00 am »
Interpol sounds to me like a lot of early 80s British post-punk bands, with somewhat atonal vocals and jagged guitars that go more for a sweeping sound than a series of riffs. Plus there often are either keyboards or heavy guitar effects. I admire the album more than I really like it, and the fact that it's a debut makes it more impressive. The great-sounding live show helped too.
oword

paige

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2002, 11:36:00 am »
you forgot to add that Paul is hot.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Relaxer:<BR><B>Interpol sounds to me like a lot of early 80s British post-punk bands, with somewhat atonal vocals and jagged guitars that go more for a sweeping sound than a series of riffs. Plus there often are either keyboards or heavy guitar effects. I admire the album more than I really like it, and the fact that it's a debut makes it more impressive. The great-sounding live show helped too. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Relaxer

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2002, 11:47:00 am »
Oh yeah, Paul the singer is hot. And Carlos the bass player is fabulous.
oword

ggw

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2002, 12:04:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>alright GGW fair enough. One thing though. I have gone out of my way to get someone to give me their opinion of interpol, and no one has. <P>Why is that, and what do you think?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think Interpol is excellent, but I don't see their album as the best album of 2002.  In a year of bands unabashedly derivative of '70s garage rock, I think Pitchfork probably gave Interpol points for being derivative of something totally different -- Manchester in the '80s.<BR>

markie

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2002, 12:17:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaguär:<BR><B><BR>Markie, I like Interpol though they can leave me a little cold at times.  </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You are not the only one that feels that way. Somehow there is a lack of any real meaning or emotion to any of the songs.<P>

jadetree

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2002, 12:28:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> You are not the only one that feels that way. Somehow there is a lack of any real meaning or emotion to any of the songs.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think offering someone 200 couches to sleep on is a very emotional gesture.  I dont follow your meaning.