Author Topic: Gridskipper says "Cancel These DC DJ & Dance Ni  (Read 6197 times)

meeper_99

Gridskipper says "Cancel These DC DJ & Dance Ni
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »
Gridskipper says Cancel These DC DJ & Dance Nights

the ones listed are actually some of my personal faves.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: Gridskipper says "Cancel These DC DJ & Dance Ni
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:04:00 am »
What's this guys deal?
‼‼?‼‼

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 01:37:00 am »
I think it's a girl.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 10:57:00 am »
maybe she doesn't feel comfortable parading around in her underwear/sleepwear, and resents that other people do.  ah, repression.
<sig>

Sage 703

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »
agreed - i think these are some of the best in the city, personally.

manimtired

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 12:18:00 pm »
i agree with this article for the most part.  especially the mousetrap write up.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »
They're a waste of time and $10 cover charge. What's the cover charge for anyway?
(_|_)

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »
To hang out with people normally too cool to be seen in the same room as you? (not you personally, but in the general sense)

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  They're a waste of time and $10 cover charge. What's the cover charge for anyway?

tigersscareme

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 03:42:00 pm »
The clubs still need to pay their staff...

calecp01

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by tigers scare me:

The clubs still need to pay their staff... [/b]
Um, and the talent...

calecp01

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »
Tried to post this as a comment on the article itself but it doesn't seem to be working...

Re: Underwear
 BTW - many of us attend this night tongue firmly in cheek. I don't think it's quite the ego-fest you make it out to be.

Re: Mousetrap
 Wait, you just knocked Mousetrap for the same thing you praised 80's Heaven and Hell for? I agree with you, it's gotten stale, but 80's night plays the same stuff every night and many of the DJ's don't beatmatch either (at least the times I've been)

Re: Hirshhorn
 Thanks for clarifying this as needs improvement, because I think the concept is great and DC needs more stuff like this, just poor execution

Re: Blisspop
 "trance-remix-asshole guy from NYC"

1) Tittsworth is local
 2) he doesn't play trance
 3) he's not an asshole by any means

Re: Nouveau Riche
 Why dismiss this dance night based on being associated with DURKL, who give out free swag at the event? And if you dislike Pandahead what does that have to do with NR? The DJ's happen to be quite talented technically, their flyers and promotion are hilarious, and there is often a good crowd there having a fun time. And this is coming from someone who personally isn't a huge fan of the night, they play too much hip hop for me, but that's just my personal bias, objectively the night is a good one.

Full disclosure: I'm involved in putting on both Garutachi and Blisspop

Arthwys

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »
I hadn't been to Mousetrap in years until this past November.  I believe the time before that was when it was Backstage for $5 in 2000.  

I've given it a go three times now since last autumn, and I've give up.  They're in the middle of some "Mousetrap and friends" deal, which essentially means NOT Britpop.  They've turned each Mousetrap night into Automatic or We Fought the Big One, which you could still go to on their own regular night.  

Of course, the journalist has a point, playing only mid-90's Britpop all the time would get really old really fast, so why not sweeten the mix by adding the newer stuff ala Kaiser Chiefs, Bloc Party, Franz?  Essentially I've jumped ship and become a complete Liberation Dance Party convert.

*warning shameless plug*

btw, if anyone on here feels remotely this way I've been organizing a "Britpop" meetup group the last few months... http://britpop.meetup.com/54/
Emrys

930clubber

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »
Gridskipper is linkbaiting to draw traffic to their emerging blog.  Bash a village's favorite dance parties, remotely; watch the natives get their panties in a bunch; watch traffic rise.  

Originally posted by DeathFromAbove1979:
  What's this guys deal?

MisterDisco

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »
I wouldn't call it "linkbaiting." Gridskipper is a part of the Gawker network, and probably doesn't have any trouble getting hits at all.

That having been said - I don't think it's about bashing nights that are perennial favorites, as many popular nights were also mentioned on the same author's "Best Of DC DJ nights" entry. Everybody's entitled to their opinion - wouldn't people who post on a message board realize this?

Different strokes for different folks, man.

930clubber

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »
You're just proving the point.  They respun one of their own posts with a more controversial title.  Now people here are yapping about it.  I don't count myself a gawker reader or a fanboy of the network.  Even highly visible blog networks need to write attractive titles.

Originally posted by misterdisco:
  I wouldn't call it "linkbaiting." Gridskipper is a part of the Gawker network, and probably doesn't have any trouble getting hits at all.

That having been said - I don't think it's about bashing nights that are perennial favorites, as many popular nights were also mentioned on the same author's "Best Of DC DJ nights" entry. Everybody's entitled to their opinion - wouldn't people who post on a message board realize this?

Different strokes for different folks, man.