Author Topic: Guided by Voices  (Read 46329 times)

Re: Guided by Voices
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2003, 12:11:00 pm »
Personally, I found it kind of pathetic that a 45 year old man feels the need to act like a 21 year old party animal on stage, and use stage banter such as saying "Fuck You" to him mom. Grow up, loser.

The lyrics were inaudible to the casual fan, and his singing voice is pretty average, but the music was good.

mankie

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2003, 12:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

The lyrics were inaudible to the casual fan, and his singing voice is pretty average, but the music was good.

Doesn't that describe many bands...past and present.

keithstg

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2003, 12:19:00 pm »
  Personally, I found it kind of pathetic that a 45 year old man feels the need to act like a 21 year old party animal on stage, and use stage banter such as saying "Fuck You" to him mom. Grow up, loser.

This from someone who both spit on a mime and told an 8 year old to fuck off?  :)

Bags

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2003, 12:19:00 pm »

I thought it was great -- that music is just so good and those songs are just so catchy.  But you're right about the antics.  On the one hand, it's all part of the Pollard persona and the audience just eats it up, but as we were laughing and cheering him on for opening another beer, I did have the thought, "we're cheering and I'll bet this guy is dead by 50."  Of course, folks have probably been saying that to him/about him for years.

They were at a HFS tent after their set signing stuff -- but it was in the midst of the downpour, so I missed it (incorrectly assuming they'd blow it off with all that rain).  Did anyone go by and talk to the band??

By the way, that drummer kicks ass.

jadetree

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2003, 12:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:

By the way, that drummer kicks ass.
He used to be in Shudder to Think but I am not sure if that is his only connection to DC or not.

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2003, 01:27:00 pm »
Well that's my way of saying I enjoyed myself but aint gonna run out and buy the back catalog.

Originally posted by mankie:

Doesn't that describe many bands...past and present. [/b]

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2003, 01:30:00 pm »
hahahaha

For the record, I never said "fuck you" to an 8 year old, though I think saying "fuck you" to ones mother is much more of a sin than saying "fuck you" to a strangers 8 year old.

And I spit on the mime because he wouldn't get his paws off of my wife, even after being asked to stop.

And I'm only 36, so the legendary Bob has 9 years of maturity on me.

Originally posted by keithstg:

This from someone who both spit on a mime and told an 8 year old to fuck off?   :)  [/b]

Celeste

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2003, 01:32:00 pm »
yeah...I spied two casual obsevers, a young latina and a young black woman who were tickled at the lyrics "Black girl, I only wanna get you high..." so, maybe not completely inaudible, but unintelligible, or perhaps interpretable as one would like to interpret

Venerable Bede

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2003, 01:45:00 pm »
 [QB] Well that's my way of saying I enjoyed myself but aint gonna run out and buy the back catalog.

well, i should note that that's near impossible to do. . .
OU812

keithstg

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2003, 03:19:00 pm »
 [QB] hahahaha

For the record, I never said "fuck you" to an 8 year old, though I think saying "fuck you" to ones mother is much more of a sin than saying "fuck you" to a strangers 8 year old.

Agreed.

Tom Cashel

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2003, 09:00:00 pm »
haha

"Black girl I only wanna get you high"

real lyric is

Hey Hey Glad Girls, Only want to get you high

Funny because this song is what was suppose to hit the airwaves for GBV well according to TVT.

Oh and you will be seeing me at the magnet show. Sound was great up by the stage.

markie

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2003, 09:32:00 pm »
Funny I mis-heard it too.....

I was singing along.....

"hey hey, bad girls, I only wanna get you high"

I think mine is a better chorus than the real one. Oh well.

Jaguär

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2003, 09:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by the scientist:
  Funny I mis-heard it too.....

I was singing along.....

"hey hey, bad girls, I only wanna get you high"

I think mine is a better chorus than the real one. Oh well.
LOL!

I agree.   ;)

Bags

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2003, 10:09:00 am »
What is a glad girl anyway?  I'm thinking it's some hipster or alkie terminology I just don't know....

Venerable Bede

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2003, 10:10:00 am »
Originally posted by bags:
  What is a glad girl anyway?  I'm thinking it's some hipster or alkie terminology I just don't know....
maybe it's just a girl that's happy??  course, bob does have some odd word pairings in his songs.
OU812