Author Topic: Guided by Voices  (Read 46336 times)

jadetree

Re: Guided by Voices
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2003, 01:42:00 pm »
I believe Reed said Diamonds not Gold

marchdoe

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2003, 01:42:00 pm »
missed my point my man,

self loathing rock stars don't try and help out their music community.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2003, 01:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by the scientist:
 and if GBV ir responsible for all those shite derivitive acts you listed, well that is just another reason to hate GBV.
do you really want to say that???  those bands maybe shite, but do you blame/hate the beatles for all the shite derivitive bands that followed them?

btw, the wallflower still won't tell me where he stayed last weekend, so it's up to you and your wily charms to get it out of him.
OU812

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2003, 01:45:00 pm »
I wasn't aware I slammed GBV anywhere. I did slam Ohio, but so what? I actually said I thought they were pretty decent musically. His voice is pretty average, but then again so are many modern rock singers. Lyrically, I coudn't understand a word he sang, so I've no real opinion there.

You're the one who brought another artist into the conversation...

Originally posted by marchdoe:
  "I prefer to ponder my own personal issues, not those of some drunk self-absorbed rock star wannabee."

Spend 3 bucks and watch "watch me jumpstart"

Bob isn't some self-absorbed rock star, he is just a guy that has a dream. How American of him. How many "rock stars" would have signed autographs in a down poor. How many rock stars get you in on the guest list for their next show just because you mentioned a pizza joint in Dayton that you use to go to. You don't have to like GBV, just understand them. Just 5 average guys (well use to be, lineup has changed over the years) that had a dream, happened to know some instruments, and had a boombox to record on, so they chased it. Also Bob and the boys help out the indie scene a lot. Look at who they have toured with over the years to get them noticed. The Strokes wounldn't have been signed if it were not for Albert throwing their demo on the stage when GBV was playing in NYC. Pete Yorn, another example. My Morning Jacket, Creeper Lagoon, the Black Keys. All these bands toured with GBV way before you started talking about them and how Rhett Miller is so much better.

I think Rhett is great, however I don't slam other peoples favorite bands, nor do I try to make you listen to what I listen to.

When it comes to Bob I think Lou Reed said it best

"my shit is their gold"

« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2003, 01:47:00 pm »
Perhaps because he's a bit self-absorbed?

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Why is it that he's gone through so many band members?

markie

« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2003, 01:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
 ]do you really want to say that???  those bands maybe shite, but do you blame/hate the beatles for all the shite derivitive bands that followed them?

btw, the wallflower still won't tell me where he stayed last weekend, so it's up to you and your wily charms to get it out of him. [/QB]
Well the Beatles didnt help them directly very often, a few songs for Peter and Gordon here, a few odd crap acts signed to apple there.

Can we hate them for Wings?

As for Wallflower I thought you said my willy ways......

markie

« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2003, 01:52:00 pm »
  Perhaps because he's a bit self-absorbed?

[/b]
Are you talking to yourself?

marchdoe

« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2003, 01:56:00 pm »
Bob = Guided by Voices

The other guys come from something called the Monument Club. Group of guys that get together every week. Drink beer (sorry Rhett) and talk about music. If you have seen Some Drinking Implied you have seen the monument club.

As for the mis quote, sorry, it was off the top of my head.

ggw

« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2003, 02:00:00 pm »
  I prefer songs that are lyrically and musically straightforward. If I want to ponder issues, I prefer to ponder my own personal issues, not those of some drunk self-absorbed rock star wannabee.

Namechecking Wagner and Kafka is lyrically straightforward?

Sounds like pretentious dilletantism to me....

« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2003, 02:07:00 pm »
What's so pretentious about Kafka? He was junior high required reading in my public school...

Using words like dilletantism is more pretentious than namechecking Kafka or Wagner.

Originally posted by ggw:

I prefer songs that are lyrically and musically straightforward. If I want to ponder issues, I prefer to ponder my own personal issues, not those of some drunk self-absorbed rock star wannabee.

Namechecking Wagner and Kafka is lyrically straightforward?

Sounds like pretentious dilletantism to me.... [/b]

keithstg

« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2003, 02:19:00 pm »
 [QB] What's so pretentious about Kafka? He was junior high required reading in my public school...

Using words like dilletantism is more pretentious than namechecking Kafka or Wagner.

Namechecking Wagner and Kafka is pretentious while accompanied by little snippets out of their private lives and whatnot. If Kafka was required reading in your jr. high, I would love to meet some poor 12 year old who had to write a book report on The Metamorphosis.

markie

« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2003, 02:19:00 pm »
actually Rhett its only pretentious when you spell it correctly.......

dilettanteism

\Dil`et*tan"te*ism\, n. The state or quality of being a dilettante; the desultory pursuit of art, science, or literature.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2003, 02:26:00 pm »
well. . .originally, it was him and toby and other local musicians/friends who would drink and record in one's basement.  then, they got a bit more famous, and set a line-up. . . .then, the bassist left to go back and resume his law practice, and they got a new bassist (kim deal's husband-of-sorts). . then, the drummer found god and he left and they got a new drummer. . .then, bob just wanted to work with other people (cobra verde).  after that album, bob said that he didn't really want to work with them anymore, but kept the guitarist (doug gillard). . .then, he got two dayton session players (nate farley and tim tobias).  finally, after going through a lot of drummers, they go kevin march (a damn fine drummer).  basically, they just steal other peoples' drummers.   :)  

but more to the point. . .bob just likes working with new people and what new music can be made.
OU812

ggw

« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2003, 02:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by the scientist:
  actually Rhett its only pretentious when you spell it correctly.......

dilettanteism

\Dil`et*tan"te*ism\, n. The state or quality of being a dilettante; the desultory pursuit of art, science, or literature.
Thats right.  When you spell it Ghetto-style, it means you're deck.

So Rhett, please explain the role and significance of Wagner and Kafka in the broader theme of Rhett's song?

« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2003, 02:26:00 pm »
Sorry, the book report is long gone. But I can probably still produce my award winning junior high essay, "The Flag, Proudly Let It Wave" which took second place statewide in a conte4st sponsored by the uber-conservative Daughters of the American Revolution...

Originally posted by keithstg:

[QB] What's so pretentious about Kafka? He was junior high required reading in my public school...

Namechecking Wagner and Kafka is pretentious while accompanied by little snippets out of their private lives and whatnot. If Kafka was required reading in your jr. high, I would love to meet some poor 12 year old who had to write a book report on The Metamorphosis. [/b]