Author Topic: On The Eve of the New Season: North of the Border Editio  (Read 184718 times)

vansmack

Re: On The Eve of the New Season: North of the Border Editio
« Reply #540 on: May 11, 2017, 01:55:36 pm »
How 'bout you just don't protect him and let the Las Vegas Knights take his salary on?

Sure you lose the trade value, but you don't take the salary cap hit.
27>34

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #541 on: May 11, 2017, 01:57:43 pm »
i could see the caps doing something stupid and trading ovie in the next couple of years.
You mean the ten million dollar cap hit for the next four seasons that just scored 33+36 and is going to be 32 at the start of next season? "Stupid" is a weird adjective to use. Backstrom is out-pointing him over the last 4 seasons aggregate.

There is a definite possibility the cap flexibility afforded by off loading him and getting a young top-6 forward back can help the young core (of which Ovechkin is not) extend their window for several seasons. Or if you want to go win now, do something nuts like trade for Subban straight up. You're telling me Subban doesn't put that team minus-OV closer to a cup?
Of course Backstrom gets more points, he's a center. His job is to spread the puck around. I don't see how trading Ovi helps this team. Pretty sure any team in the NHL would gladly take him.

I've seen blame thrown everywhere. I'll be surprised if Trotz comes back next season. 3 years of the same old same old. Insane. Build around Backstrom and Burakovsky. Heh.
‼‼?‼‼

godsshoeshine

« Reply #542 on: May 11, 2017, 02:04:14 pm »
How 'bout you just don't protect him and let the Las Vegas Knights take his salary on?

Sure you lose the trade value, but you don't take the salary cap hit.
pretty sure he has a no movement clause
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #543 on: May 11, 2017, 02:07:06 pm »
pretty sure he has a no movement clause

He does not.  No-trade yes  (limited; 10-team no-trade list), but not a no-movement clause.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/no_trade_list.html
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #544 on: May 11, 2017, 02:11:11 pm »
you presume that the caps would pull of a trade without retaining salary and actually make a good trade. i do not
That's not the same as the concept of trading OV is stupid just because someone could do it in a dumb way. That's sort of like saying the invention of the automobile was dumb because someone might crash.

That's intriguing.
LVMH

godsshoeshine

« Reply #545 on: May 11, 2017, 02:14:39 pm »
you presume that the caps would pull of a trade without retaining salary and actually make a good trade. i do not
That's not the same as the concept of trading OV is stupid just because someone could do it in a dumb way. That's sort of like saying the invention of the automobile was dumb because someone might crash.
agreed. sorry you inferred that i meant it that way
o/\o

« Reply #546 on: May 11, 2017, 02:18:56 pm »
You (not you personally godsshoeshine, the general you) are telling me both teams wouldn't jump at:

Capitals
William Nylander
Connor BrownJames Van Riemsdyk or Tyler Bozak
A Prospect
A 1st Round Pick

Maple Leafs
Ovechkin
A 3rd Round Pick

Maple Leafs jump into legit Cup contention right away, pair the last 3-4 elite years of Ovechkin with Matthews, Kadri, van Riemsdyk or Bozak, Brown et al.

Caps get younger (and acquire guys who will be RFAs in next negotiations), shed 8.54.8mil in cap space (hello Shattenkirk and Oshie potentially returning), extend the window of the team overall.

There are trades to be made.

EDIT: Looking at Capfriendly, I thought Maple Leafs were more fungible on cap space. Probably have to send Van Riemsdyk or Bozak back instead of Brown and both have modified NTCs (I can't imagine Caps would be one of the teams specified on either).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:10:53 pm by Julian, Coastal ELITE »
LVMH

MAGA 2020

« Reply #547 on: May 11, 2017, 02:23:29 pm »
Not sure I would want Shattenkirk returning at this point.

vansmack

« Reply #548 on: May 11, 2017, 02:35:21 pm »
That's intriguing.

Not even my favorite idea, though I like it a lot.  How about this one: Protect Ovechkin, then trade him to Vegas, who doesn't have a salary cap.  Surely you will get something from a number of teams who couldn't put together a one-on-one trade with the Caps, and presumably a better collection of talent (of course salary cap would still apply to DC). 
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #549 on: May 11, 2017, 03:36:09 pm »
EDIT: Looking at Capfriendly, I thought Maple Leafs were more fungible on cap space. Probably have to send Van Riemsdyk or Bozak back instead of Brown and both have modified NTCs (I can't imagine Caps would be one of the teams specified on either).

Funny.  I was doing this research, got distracted, came back to finish it on my lunch and said, "there's no way Jules could have not seen this."  When I went back to recheck the names I had written down, I saw your edits.  Nice work - I was coming to a similar conclusion. 
27>34

« Reply #550 on: May 11, 2017, 03:46:49 pm »

Funny.  I was doing this research, got distracted, came back to finish it on my lunch and said, "there's no way Jules could have not seen this."  When I went back to recheck the names I had written down, I saw your edits.  Nice work - I was coming to a similar conclusion. 
Yeah. If I were the Caps and I was offered the Van Riemsdyk option of that (and OV was open to waiving his NTC), I'd have to consider that strongly.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #551 on: May 11, 2017, 03:50:49 pm »
(and OV was open to waiving his NTC)

Ovechkin submits a list of 10 teams to which he would refuse a trade prior to each season.  I can't imagine Toronto is on that list.
27>34

« Reply #552 on: May 11, 2017, 03:51:59 pm »
(and OV was open to waiving his NTC)

Ovechkin submits a list of 10 teams to which he would refuse a trade prior to each season.  I can't imagine Toronto is on that list.
Even better. I like this game.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #553 on: May 11, 2017, 03:59:35 pm »
Smackie's 10 Team no trade list for 2016-17:

Arizona, Minnesota, Washington, Winnipeg, Florida, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Colorado, Carolina, Columbus
27>34

« Reply #554 on: May 11, 2017, 04:06:49 pm »
Smackie's 10 Team no trade list for 2016-17:

Arizona, Minnesota, Washington, Winnipeg, Florida, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Colorado, Carolina, Columbus
You'd rather play for Detroit than Tampa or Columbus? Have you seen that steaming pile of crap?

Also Minnesota is indefensible. Fanbase is amazing, team is quite good.
LVMH