Author Topic: The 2009 Albums Thread  (Read 196042 times)

azaghal1981

Re: The 2009 Albums Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2008, 01:26:25 pm »

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

It's safe to say that roughly 75% of what I listen to in the next 3-4 months will consist of this album. After a year of albums that fell short of expectations, this is just what I needed.
احمد

wml7

« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2008, 02:00:37 pm »
Ha, I thought that name was refering to them playing at the venue instead of the name of the album.

wml7

« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2008, 06:25:33 pm »
The whole animal collective album is up on sordo now.  Cd rip.

azaghal1981

« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2008, 08:44:05 pm »
Probably the 160k cd rip that's been going around since thursday which is listenable except for the annoying gaps between tracks.
One would think that since some vinyl copies have been sent out, a good flac would've surfaced by now.
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2009, 03:58:43 pm »
Looking forward to the new Grimble Grumble full length that is supposed to come out in '09.

I've heard of a lot of other new stuff to be released but I always seem to forget what they are once I get over here.  :-\

azaghal1981

« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2009, 08:56:26 am »
Pitchfork got something right!
(which seems to get rarer and rarer.)

It'll take a lot from another 2009 album to top this one for me.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2009, 09:56:14 am »
Zu - Carboniferous

Pretty good if you're into noisy math rock with slight free jazz leanings. Mike Patton makes a spooky black metal-esque appearance on one track which is awesome as is just about everything Mike Patton does.
احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2009, 10:31:00 am »
It's too early to issue a snap judgment, and yet here I go. The new Animal Collective sucks. Okay, I've only heard the first three songs, but I've heard them twice and they just kinda squish along like an old spooge towel. Does it get any better? Why are people getting chubbies over this thing?
oword

azaghal1981

« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2009, 02:33:17 pm »
You weren't too crazy about Person Pitch either if I remember correctly.

Sounds more to me than anything like MPP is sort of an expansion on the ideas laid out on PP.

But here's something I'm sure you can get behind:

Shrinebuilder album due out in the summer.
"The band's absurd lineup: Saint Vitus/Obsessed/Spirit Caravan/Hidden Hand guitar hero Scott "Wino" Weinrich, gigantic Neurosis/Tribes of Neurot leader Scott Kelly (pictured), former* Sleep and current Om bassist Al Cisneros, and Melvins drummer Dale Crover. Former Om drummer Chris Hakius was also originally supposed to be involved, but he dropped out around the same time he left Om. And that's fine; we're not about to start complaining about Dale Crover being involved."
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2009, 02:39:59 pm »
Just came across this on another board:

December 03, 2008 11:51 AM ET

Michael D. Ayers, N.Y.
A mixture of old-fashioned studio work and home recordings will comprise Black Dice's fifth album, "Repo," due in April via Paw Tracks.

The group expects "10 to 15 songs" to make the final cut, and is wrapping up its last recording session this week at Rare Book Room Studios in Brooklyn, N.Y.

"Most of the record is songs that we are tracking live and mixing in a traditional kind of recording process," Aaron Warren tells Billboard.com. "But some of the stuff is more experimental, more home recording stuff that we've gotten into. We've messed around with that a little, but haven't had the skills to do until now."

Compared to 2007's "Load Blown," Warren describes the new material as "compact" and utilizing less gear than last time. "One of the great things about 'Load Blown' is that it has a sprawling, really luxurious quality that unfolds over a lot of time," he explains.  "And I think [this time] everything is a little more compact, where it's a lot of ideas that are happening fast. Because we're recording in such a compacted time, I think there is a more unified sound."
احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2009, 02:55:06 pm »
You're right, I wasn't all that wild about Person Pitch. I do put that one on occasionally because I grew to appreciate its Brian Wilsonian ambience, but I just feel like the songs don't go anywhere. They just kind of amble along, end, and then another one starts. Very pleasant sounding, to be sure, but just not what I'm looking for in music right now.

Indicative: I just realized the Sword is playing the RnR Hotel next week. Now THAT is exciting. So you can see where I'm coming from here.
oword

Vas Deferens

« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2009, 03:06:20 pm »
I thought they are opening for Metallica?  I'm seeing Metallica next week!

Indicative: I just realized the Sword is playing the RnR Hotel next week. Now THAT is exciting. So you can see where I'm coming from here.
(_|_)

« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2009, 03:15:49 pm »
They are opening for Metallica. They also have a separate headlining gig the night before. I know this because I read the Onion, not because I would be caught near either show!

Relaxer

« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2009, 03:32:25 pm »

You are?!? My man! Okay, you're no longer dead to me.

Fuck the haters, I think Death Magnetic is a perfectly great album. I don't like every song, but I really like about half of them.
oword

Vas Deferens

« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2009, 03:36:56 pm »
Yes, someone's taking me to the show!

You are?!? My man! Okay, you're no longer dead to me.

Fuck the haters, I think Death Magnetic is a perfectly great album. I don't like every song, but I really like about half of them.
(_|_)