Author Topic: The 2009 Albums Thread  (Read 196081 times)

walkonby

Re: The 2009 Albums Thread
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2009, 10:52:46 am »
has anybody heard anything off the new flaming lips double album?  i don't believe in listening to material until it is released (i guess i'm a musically old fashioned, lying in wait snob) . . . and somebody just told me that they heard the rumours are already floating that "it isn't sounding too good."

azaghal1981

« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2009, 10:54:50 am »
احمد

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2009, 11:35:18 am »
has anybody heard anything off the new flaming lips double album?  i don't believe in listening to material until it is released (i guess i'm a musically old fashioned, lying in wait snob) . . . and somebody just told me that they heard the rumours are already floating that "it isn't sounding too good."

FL email:

Hey Campers!

We're happy to announce that we'll be releasing a new double-album entitled "EMBRYONIC" later this year. We've just confirmed our Summer tour dates and decided to reward our long-time loyal fans by offering a special ticket bundle available for sale online - the bundle will come with a ticket to see the band live along with an exclusive online digital EP that will contain 3 songs from the upcoming record - "Convinced of The Hex," "The Impulse," and "Silver Trembling Hands" plus three additional rare b-side tracks that we've selected. In addition to the ep, the bundle includes a digital download bootleg of the same show that you attend, which will be available after the show.

Confirmed tour dates are:
Sat Aug 15 Del Mar Race Track Infield Del Mar, CA (non-bundle date)
Mon Aug 17 Greek Theater Los Angeles, CA
Tue Aug 18 Fox Theater Pomona, CA
Thur Aug 20 Edgefield Amphitheater Portland, OR
Fri Aug 21 Marymoor Amphitheater Seattle, WA (On-sale June 20)
Sun Aug 23 Red Rocks Amphitheater Denver, CO (On-sale June 20)
Wed Aug 26 Chastain Park Amphitheater Atlanta, GA
Fri Aug 28 Merriweather Post Pavilion Washington, DC
Sat Aug 29 Festival Pier Philadelphia, PA
Sun Aug 30 Bank of America Pavilion Boston, MA

To find the tickets that are already up for sale click here.

How it works: Basecamp Productions will facilitate the production and delivery of the music (bootleg) of each show. Each person who buys a ticket will receive a code that allows them to access their download at our official website: www.flaminglips.com!

😐 🎶

walkonby

« Reply #288 on: June 20, 2009, 04:07:55 pm »
it's funny, this thing called music.  the other day on sirius's indie channel they played the new single off the new album by mos def.  why they played it i don't know.  i have never listened to a single song off any album of mos def and don't really consider him to be "indie.".  but after it was done and i thought about it for a few minutes . . . i felt utterly compelled to be in love with mos def, rushing out frantic to buy his new album.

azaghal1981

« Reply #289 on: June 20, 2009, 08:42:26 pm »
Someone was just telling me a few hours ago how great it was.
احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #290 on: June 22, 2009, 04:39:55 pm »
was it wayne coyne?
oword

azaghal1981

« Reply #291 on: June 22, 2009, 07:18:14 pm »
Yeah, he and I have daily music recommendation exchanges.

was it wayne coyne?
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #292 on: June 23, 2009, 08:33:24 am »
Very much enjoying the God Help The Girl album.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #293 on: June 23, 2009, 09:21:16 pm »
Score another one for Scotland

Alun Woodward, onetime singer/guitarist for The Delgados, has returned as Lord Cut-Glass and it's just really top notch stuff. 

http://www.myspace.com/lordcutglass
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #294 on: June 23, 2009, 09:31:30 pm »
Nick Cave and Warren Ellis to score documentary on Cambodian sex trade
احمد

sonickteam2

« Reply #295 on: June 23, 2009, 10:21:26 pm »
it's funny, this thing called music.  the other day on sirius's indie channel they played the new single off the new album by mos def.  why they played it i don't know.  i have never listened to a single song off any album of mos def and don't really consider him to be "indie.".  but after it was done and i thought about it for a few minutes . . . i felt utterly compelled to be in love with mos def, rushing out frantic to buy his new album.

another convert. mos def is truly one of the great hip hop artists. and his new disc is super too.

also, he's far and away the best rapper/actor ever.

oh and as to how he's indie? 

well he began on Rawkus Records, which i believe would make him indie. but truthfully, any rapper that crosses over to the mainly white indie rock crowd gets to play Coachella/Lollapalooza and gets to be on XMU.

Also, he's now on Downtown records which is a fabulous (yet not indie) label which has Justice, MSTRKRFT, Cold War Kids, Santigold, Eagles of Death Metal, etc.

plus, he's one of the only celebrities to publicly dismiss Al Qaeda's involvement in 9/11. (and sharing that view, i admire him for that). thats pretty indie!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:29:39 pm by back to sonick »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2009, 11:24:03 pm »

another convert. mos def is truly one of the great hip hop artists. and his new disc is super too.

also, he's far and away the best rapper/actor ever.

oh and as to how he's indie? 

well he began on Rawkus Records, which i believe would make him indie. but truthfully, any rapper that crosses over to the mainly white indie rock crowd gets to play Coachella/Lollapalooza and gets to be on XMU.

Also, he's now on Downtown records which is a fabulous (yet not indie) label which has Justice, MSTRKRFT, Cold War Kids, Santigold, Eagles of Death Metal, etc.

plus, he's one of the only celebrities to publicly dismiss Al Qaeda's involvement in 9/11. (and sharing that view, i admire him for that). thats pretty indie!

He's #69.
😐 🎶

azaghal1981

« Reply #297 on: June 27, 2009, 06:06:06 pm »
Finally getting around to this SPC-Eco.

Nothing all that new or innovative but fans of slow, laid back shoegaze should check it out if they haven't already.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #298 on: June 29, 2009, 08:16:37 am »
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #299 on: June 29, 2009, 09:16:49 am »
still on the fence if i still like them or not, but i guess i'll wait and see for when the new black crowes album/digital download other album combo is released.  and i didn't know pearl jam is releasing a new one in the fall.  somehow i feel both bands have finally slipped into that tarpit of "yep . . . heard that on your last few releases."