Author Topic: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux  (Read 214788 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2013, 12:55:40 pm »
Didn't the Washington NFL team give up an insane 4 #1 picks for RG3 in the era where there are more NFL-ready Day 1 QBs available than ever before?

someone please correct me on this, but they did try going with 'day 1 ready" QBs and they all failed miserably.  anyone remember McNabb?
<sig>

atomic

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2013, 12:56:46 pm »
The p word is so much nicer than the c word.
And I guess atomic hasn't met my wife. I'm always the one begging her to clean up her language.

I know this is football and your posting on this thread automatically makes you a blockhead, but can you please refrain from using the "c" word?

Stop let your wife control you actions in the world.  You are a man damnit act like it.

YEAH! stop acting like such a pussy, james ford.

Grow a pair.  Nicer word?  "C' word?

hutch

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2013, 12:59:03 pm »
Didn't the Washington NFL team give up an insane 4 #1 picks for RG3 in the era where there are more NFL-ready Day 1 QBs available than ever before?

someone please correct me on this, but they did try going with 'day 1 ready" QBs and they all failed miserably.  anyone remember McNabb?

the issue is that apparently Shanahan was against getting RGIII..as he's the GM and Coach I think its crazy that Snyder overruled him if that is indeed what happened...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: That Darned Washington NFL Team, Pt. Deux
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2013, 01:07:03 pm »

No, I mean coming out of college. I posit that NCAA offenses have gotten so advanced that there are more rookie QBs ready to take over as NFL starters "day one" than at any other time in NFL history. Had Washington not drafted RG3 they could have gotten Tannenhill, Wilson, Foles, or even Cousins (who they eventually got anyway, and definitely is not a starter IMO). We are no longer in the era where 4 teams have Super Bowl caliber QBs and everyone else is the have-nots.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:45:39 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2013, 01:09:05 pm »

No, I mean coming out of college. I posit that NCAA offenses have gotten so advanced that there are more rookie QBs ready to take over as NFL starters "day one" than at any other time in NFL history. Had Washington not drafted RG3 they could have gotten Tannenhill, Wilson, Foles, or even Cousins (who they eventually got anyway, and definitely is not a starter IMO). We are no longer in the era where 4 teams have Super Bowl caliber QBs and everyone else is the have-nots.

This is the way I see it too... there are so many good young quaterbacks now...it was never that way before... before a 40 something Kosar or Testaverde could still play in the NFL over an up and comer !

the game has really changed...

stevewizzle

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2013, 01:38:17 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/is-mike-shanahan-or-daniel-snyder-to-blame-washington-doesnt-deserve-either-of-them/2013/12/08/346ccb90-6068-11e3-8beb-3f9a9942850f_story.html

This is a really stupid article. I mean, he's lecturing Shanahan for not treating Albert Haynesworth with respect? Haynesworth took a huge shit on the Redskins and basically stole their money. And Shanahan is unhappy that one of his players has a hush-hush back-channel relationship with the owner? He should be, especially when it's an owner like Snyder who has a long stupid history of meddling and interfering despite lacking any football intelligence or savvy.

I am not fan of Shanahan and think he needs to go, but anyone looking to this article for wisdom will find none. Boswell should stick to baseball.

i see what you're saying, but this is the kind of outrage article you need.  it's not wisdom, what the hell would dan snyder do with articulated thoughts? this fan base needs to adopt anarchy as it's mode of forcing change.

stevewizzle

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2013, 01:39:39 pm »

relevant

James Ford

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2013, 02:44:25 pm »
Is it ok if I start tossing around "nigger" and "faggot" in regular conversation on this board?

Or should I be afraid that it might offend your boyfriend?

The p word is so much nicer than the c word.
And I guess atomic hasn't met my wife. I'm always the one begging her to clean up her language.

I know this is football and your posting on this thread automatically makes you a blockhead, but can you please refrain from using the "c" word?

Stop let your wife control you actions in the world.  You are a man damnit act like it.

YEAH! stop acting like such a pussy, james ford.

Grow a pair.  Nicer word?  "C' word?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2013, 02:46:57 pm »

the issue is that apparently Shanahan was against getting RGIII..as he's the GM and Coach I think its crazy that Snyder overruled him if that is indeed what happened...
Is Shannahan so arrogant that he would draft Kirk Cousins as well, and throw RG3 to the wolves to TRY and get him injured so he could actually start the QB he wanted and could mold easier than Robert Griffin? I believe this is called the "Klanahan Theory". If Shannahan did his job, he wouldn't have to worry about if Dan Snyder sends more security for the face of his franchise. No organization chooses a coach over a quarterback.

Sports press in DC ruins everything. All they want is Redskins. Good or bad. I sincerely wish they would ship all the writers and radio stations off to other countries. They really, REALLY make things worse. Ugh.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2013, 02:50:14 pm »

Is Shannahan so arrogant that he would draft Kirk Cousins as well, and throw RG3 to the wolves to TRY and get him injured so he could actually start the QB he wanted and could mold easier than Robert Griffin? I believe this is called the "Klanahan Theory". If Shannahan did his job, he wouldn't have to worry about if Dan Snyder sends more security for the face of his franchise. No organization chooses a coach over a quarterback.

Sports press in DC ruins everything. All they want is Redskins. Good or bad. I sincerely wish they would ship all the writers and radio stations off to other countries. They really, REALLY make things worse. Ugh.

the owner should never make that decision over the GM..... if he doesn't trust the GM to make that decision then he should not have a GM!

I do agree that Shanahan has not been any good and that the press is terrible..

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2013, 03:06:16 pm »
No, I mean coming out of college. I posit that NCAA offenses have gotten so advanced that there are more rookie QBs ready to take over as NFL starters "day one" than at any other time in NFL history. Had Washington not drafted RG3 they could have gotten Tannenhill, Wilson, Foles, or even Cousins (who they eventually got anyway, and definitely is not a starter IMO).

ok, now i'm confused.  you say there are a ton of fresh-outta-college QBs that can start right away, like Cousins... then say that Cousins isn't starter caliber. 

we should get nate silver on this, but i'm pretty sure there are more first-rounders who have become franchise QBs, than late rounders (Brady is the obvious exception, but for every low-round star you point out i'll name you 3 first rounders).  hence the desire to go all out for a first-round QB.  now whether RG3 was worth the price of admission is another matter.
<sig>

atomic

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2013, 03:23:58 pm »
No, I mean coming out of college. I posit that NCAA offenses have gotten so advanced that there are more rookie QBs ready to take over as NFL starters "day one" than at any other time in NFL history. Had Washington not drafted RG3 they could have gotten Tannenhill, Wilson, Foles, or even Cousins (who they eventually got anyway, and definitely is not a starter IMO).

ok, now i'm confused.  you say there are a ton of fresh-outta-college QBs that can start right away, like Cousins... then say that Cousins isn't starter caliber. 

we should get nate silver on this, but i'm pretty sure there are more first-rounders who have become franchise QBs, than late rounders (Brady is the obvious exception, but for every low-round star you point out i'll name you 3 first rounders).  hence the desire to go all out for a first-round QB.  now whether RG3 was worth the price of admission is another matter.

Really what quarterback not named Manning has been drafted in the top 10 picks and has made it even to the super bowl recently

Ones that are not top 10 picks.

Rodgers
Flacco
Rothernsburger
Brees
Brady
Kaepernick
Warner
Grossman
Hassleback
Brad Johnson

Actually the last time a top 10 pick who wasn't a manning won a super bowl was Trent Dilfer.  I think the reason you see this is bad teams don't know who to select with their draft choices and that is why so many bad quarterbacks are taken early.   And it seems that even when teams go to the Super Bowl with top 10 quarterbacks they get there despite their Quarterback (McNabb, Dilfer) not because of the QB performance. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:25:33 pm by atomic »

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2013, 04:22:31 pm »

the owner should never make that decision over the GM..... if he doesn't trust the GM to make that decision then he should not have a GM!

I do agree that Shanahan has not been any good and that the press is terrible..
This is where the disconnect comes in, everyone THOUGHT Shanny picked RG3, now there are "reports" that it wasn't his initial choice. Either way, something is happening. At this point I wonder if it's really a detriment to the product on the field. The team has about 4 talented players.
‼‼?‼‼

atomic

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2013, 04:46:29 pm »
I find it funny that James Ford is all upset about a word being used in a thread whose very title is more offensive and he hasn't complained about that yet.  Come on the NFL Landover team is super offensive.  Lets change that first and maybe the bad karma will go away.

James Ford

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2013, 04:54:53 pm »
While I would think at least 50% of the population (plus, additionally only me, apparently), would find use of the word cun* offensive, I'm betting most of them wouldn't find use of the word "darned" offensive. But I've been wrong on numerous occasions in my life.

Or, if you're referring to the word "redskins", I think you have to think about context. A guy insulting a guy by referring to him as a female body part is more derogatory than referring to a team as "redskins", imo.

I find it funny that James Ford is all upset about a word being used in a thread whose very title is more offensive and he hasn't complained about that yet.  Come on the NFL Landover team is super offensive.  Lets change that first and maybe the bad karma will go away.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:28:42 pm by James Ford »