Author Topic: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux  (Read 219105 times)

atomic

Re: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux
« Reply #135 on: December 30, 2013, 03:05:11 pm »
I think the Landover NFL team should change their name to the Washington Generals. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2013, 03:09:20 pm »
maybe the name itself, is a curse . . . and all the people have been right all these years to change it.  they sure do suck for bizarro world reasons ever since i have been alive, except for that one superbowl.

shemptiness

« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2013, 07:31:48 pm »
8 head coaches in 15 years under Danny Boy - not exactly the recipe for success

hutch

« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2013, 10:01:10 pm »

this is a stupid statistic shemp and you know it!

the reason they've had so many coaches is cause they've been losing.. i mean the browns have had a ton of coaches too.. when you suck you make changes... you don't just keep sucking... if you suck for two years under coach a you try somebody new...thats just the way the business is.. you don't say "hey we really have sucked the past 10 years under this guy but lets keep going with him cause that's a recipe for success!"

if they'd been winning they'd have far fewer coaches

in other words, its not the number of coaches being high having caused losing but rather losing having caused the number of coaches to be high

or does anybody think they should have kept shanahan? and I have to say Snyder's problem hasn't been not sticking with coaches... Gibbs basically quit on him....Zorn just kind of sucked and had to go....

the only two coaches that arguably should have been kept longer, in the Snyder era, are Norv Turner (who at the time when he was let go seemed to kind of suck.. I think people forget...he made some serious mistakes.. I think he got better later) and Shottenheimer

its really hard to say what the problem is..its just a clusterfuck of issues...coachingwise he's tried just about everything....he should have made that defensive guy gregg williams head coach (yeah the bounty guy)..but other than that?

i guess the mistake with the salary cap was a big whooper... i still don't quite get what they did that was wrong

shemptiness

« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2013, 10:11:30 pm »
Perhaps the talent evaluator needs to be someone other than the owner.  When's the last time this team had a legitimate GM? 

hutch

« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2013, 10:24:16 pm »
the team it is crazy to say may really be cursed.... what were the two best players they got the past 10 years or so?

sean taylor

RGIII

the first , rip, was killed...the second was put in/left in when he should not have by shanahan and may now be damaged goods...maybe playing the style he was he would have been injured regardless...but the fact remains that the two best players the franchise has had the past decade...

i do think shanahan was a little b i t c h more intent on making his points and winning the arguments and making himself lookk good and proving he had the biggest dick THAN in ensuring success.. the whole Haynesworth thing was completely bungled... I mean you can tell me that they didn't like him, that he showed up overweight and all this.. but how did embarassing him in public like they did help the team? it completely depreciated the player to the point he was worthless... and i think if you come in and you have a guy with such a big contract with some proven success playing in that other system you should have not been so quick to say you have no interest in that system.. i'm no fan of haynesworth but when they signed him and brought him in the idea was for him to keep playing like with his former team.... embarassing him in public that to me seemed like junior varsity stuff... why? to prove a point?

the whole mcnabb thing was also just another controversy that was unecessary.... i mean i dont' know that donovan is  a great guy but by all accounts a fairly professional QB.. it seemed at the end they were trying to embarass him in public... Shanahan just seemed more bent on proving himself right than anything else..

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: That Darned Washington NFL Team, Pt. Deux
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2013, 10:32:32 pm »
Please tell me hutch did not justify decisions by the landover team by saying the Browns did a similar thing.  Holy shit. Perhaps you can find done (my beloved) Lions-esque parallels to further prove the rightness of Snyders course of actions. Holy shit.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:42:59 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2013, 10:36:44 pm »
Please tell me hutch did not justify decisions by the landover team by saying the Browns did a similar thing.  Holy shit. Perhaps you can find done (my beloved) Lions-esque parallels to further prove the rightness of Snyders course of actions. Holy shit.

the point is that when you're a losing team you go through coaches cause you're losing

"prove the rightness"?

Julian, I always thought you could write.. .is your kid hijacking your account?

shemptiness

« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2013, 10:39:54 pm »
So what makes the Patriots the Patriots?  Or the Ravens?  Why have they had success while Washington has not?  Or Cleveland?  Or Detroit?

hutch

« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2013, 10:41:24 pm »
So what makes the Patriots the Patriots?  Or the Ravens?  Why have they had success while Washington has not?  Or Cleveland?  Or Detroit?

I think Snyder is a bad owner.. I'm not arguing that contrary to what Julian's five year old kid is posting..... just pointing out that firing failing coaches is not the reason..

atomic

« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2013, 10:32:52 am »

this is a stupid statistic shemp and you know it!

the reason they've had so many coaches is cause they've been losing.. i mean the browns have had a ton of coaches too.. when you suck you make changes... you don't just keep sucking... if you suck for two years under coach a you try somebody new...thats just the way the business is.. you don't say "hey we really have sucked the past 10 years under this guy but lets keep going with him cause that's a recipe for success!"

if they'd been winning they'd have far fewer coaches

in other words, its not the number of coaches being high having caused losing but rather losing having caused the number of coaches to be high

or does anybody think they should have kept shanahan? and I have to say Snyder's problem hasn't been not sticking with coaches... Gibbs basically quit on him....Zorn just kind of sucked and had to go....

the only two coaches that arguably should have been kept longer, in the Snyder era, are Norv Turner (who at the time when he was let go seemed to kind of suck.. I think people forget...he made some serious mistakes.. I think he got better later) and Shottenheimer

its really hard to say what the problem is..its just a clusterfuck of issues...coachingwise he's tried just about everything....he should have made that defensive guy gregg williams head coach (yeah the bounty guy)..but other than that?

i guess the mistake with the salary cap was a big whooper... i still don't quite get what they did that was wrong

You don't get what they did with the salary cap that was wrong?  They tried to release a player with a huge contract in the year without the cap.  You know trying to get rid of your mistake when the league specifically told them not to and warned them of the consequences. 

As for firing coaches all the time.  Who is picking all these coaches?  They have had success other places yet not here.  Maybe it isn't the coaches who are the problem.  Just firing them leads to lame ducks coaches over and over.  The Bengals stuck with their coach through losing seasons. Now they are making the playoffs in back to back seasons.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2013, 11:06:04 am »
The name MUST be a curse when they've won 3 Super Bowls and 2 World Championships under the name. Yes, the last was over 2 decades ago, but they have been named the same thing for the better part of a century.

At this point I don't give 2 squirts of piss WHAT the hell they do. Win another Super Bowl. Rename them the Washington Dudeguys and if they win a Super Bowl it'll all be fine with me.
‼‼?‼‼

ggw

« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2013, 11:32:40 am »
Really - who would want to work for Dan Snyder at this point. 

hutch

« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2013, 12:01:04 pm »
Really - who would want to work for Dan Snyder at this point. 

I don't like Dan Snyder at all but I'm pretty sure Shanahan has $28 million reasons why someone might want to work for Snyder...including as I understand it $7 million for sitting out next year... not only that he got his own son Kyle hired by Snyder (I'm sure also not cheap) and by all accounts got Snyder to do pretty much much whatever he wanted (building more and newer team facilities, holding camp wherever he wanted, etc.)..

I just don't recall all these horrible things Snyder did to Shanahan...I think he was very handsoffish...I don't think i've heard a peep from Snyder all year except for his statement released yesterday about fans deserving better..

I don't know that its proven that Snyder overruled Shanahan on drafting RGIII and trading all those picks for him...there's a lot of "leaks" put out there by Shanahan that have been confusing the issues...at least thats the way I see it..

Having said that I also dont think there are a lot of people lining up for the job... but when I really think about it I'm not sure its because of Snyder... partly its that but its more than that.. the stench of failure...the feeling that its just a loser team... the lack of desire to get involved in a shitshow....

hutch

« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2013, 12:07:25 pm »
The name MUST be a curse when they've won 3 Super Bowls and 2 World Championships under the name. Yes, the last was over 2 decades ago, but they have been named the same thing for the better part of a century.

At this point I don't give 2 squirts of piss WHAT the hell they do. Win another Super Bowl. Rename them the Washington Dudeguys and if they win a Super Bowl it'll all be fine with me.

nobody cared what they were named until more recently... you could make the argument the curse was activated when Cooke died...

personally I think the team needs a fresh start... changing the name would be a beginning....the clamor for them to change the name will get louder.. given the team's racist history I think they should have been out in front on the name issue...