Author Topic: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux  (Read 219127 times)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
Re: That Darned Washington NFL Team, Pt. Deux
« Reply #330 on: June 12, 2014, 06:34:57 pm »
I don't understand your point. I've never heard anyone offended by the euphemism "the n-word" being used in lieu of "nigger" and I live in a congressional district that just said Eric Cantor wasn't a sufficiently hateful, conservative loon for their liking.

I think atomic made an excellent point. He gave five other area sports team names and claims he's never heard anyone find their use offensive or racist. (Nor have I.) You're claiming any team name is going to offend someone but you don't explain how "Ravens, Orioles, Capitals, Nationals" would be offensive. What group would object to any of those and for what reason?

I personally am offended by the term 'n-word'.

I did not claim team names could be offensive.  I claimed that for any word, we could dig and eventually find someone who is offended by that word.  I don't profess to know 'how' or 'why' anyone would find any given word offensive, but I am saying that someone will choose to be offended by any given word we pick.
FUKIT

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux
« Reply #331 on: June 12, 2014, 06:40:07 pm »
DC team names?   They changed the NBA team form Bullets and the official reason was that 'bullets' was offensive because of the violence associated with the term.  So what do they change it to, 'Wizards' as if that were not more offensive that bullets.  Proof positive that PC types are 100% full of shit.
How is wizards more offensive than bullets? Whom is it offensive to? Warlocks?

I take it you did not click the link.
i missed it.

That said, figuratively no one hears "the Washington Wizards" and sees the logo with a magician and goes, "oh this is a KKK reference." Conversely, figuratively every person on earth acknowledges the name of the Washington NFL team is a racial slur devoid of any defendable alternate meaning. The two situations could not constitute more of a false equivalency. You're either intellectual dishonest or intellectually disabled to claim otherwise.
LVMH

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #332 on: June 12, 2014, 06:42:32 pm »
look its over.. the name has to go...its offensive to a lot of people.... even non-indians for crying out loud.

the crummy owner should get ahead of the story and change the name.. they could use a reboot anyways.... they've sucked since about 1993 for crying out loud.. that's more than two decades...

the owner should be smart and do it now.. not wait til his hand is ultimately forced which is what will happen... do it from a position of strength and maybe even exact some concessions in return

EVERY word is offensive to some people.  I agree with you that sooner or later the name will change.  It has nothing to do with what is right or wrong though, it has more to do with the PC crap that has taken over the USA.
Explain to whom and for what reason the word "and" is offensive. Hyperbole much?

I don't know why anyone would be offended by any word.  That does not mean that people are not choosing to be offended.  I find the whole concept of people choosing to be offended by words to be the silliest thing on the face of the earth.  Having said that, I do find the term 'n-word' to be offensive.  Not so much as for the term itself, but for the childishness and insult to the intelligence of others when someone uses that thinking 1) the rest of us do not know they are really saying 'nigger', and 2) that saying 'n-word' is any better than saying the word 'nigger'.  Its the concept that using the PC term makes it OK.  It is not so much offensive in the true sense of the word as it is laughable that others use such terms.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #333 on: June 12, 2014, 06:43:57 pm »
DC team names?   They changed the NBA team form Bullets and the official reason was that 'bullets' was offensive because of the violence associated with the term.  So what do they change it to, 'Wizards' as if that were not more offensive that bullets.  Proof positive that PC types are 100% full of shit.
How is wizards more offensive than bullets? Whom is it offensive to? Warlocks?

I take it you did not click the link.
i missed it.

That said, figuratively no one hears "the Washington Wizards" and sees the logo with a magician and goes, "oh this is a KKK reference." Conversely, figuratively every person on earth acknowledges the name of the Washington NFL team is a racial slur devoid of any defendable alternate meaning. The two situations could not constitute more of a false equivalency. You're either intellectual dishonest or intellectually disabled to claim otherwise.

The KKK was the very first thing I thought of when I heard the name Wizards.  I do not find the term Redskins even slightly offensive.

I seriously doubt that most poeple saw he name bullets and thought of murder.
FUKIT

stevewizzle

« Reply #334 on: June 12, 2014, 06:44:15 pm »
You're either intellectual dishonest or intellectually disabled to claim otherwise.

that's got to be the fanciest way of saying "you're stupid' i've ever seen.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #335 on: June 12, 2014, 06:45:12 pm »
You're either intellectual dishonest or intellectually disabled to claim otherwise.

+1
FUKIT

« Reply #336 on: June 12, 2014, 06:45:49 pm »
Right, "laughable," "silly," and "childish" aren't even on the same planet as an intentional slur against an ethnic group. You're equating apples to hyperbolic, hateful oranges.
LVMH

« Reply #337 on: June 12, 2014, 06:47:47 pm »

No, I leave open the possibility he's not stupid, but rather being intentionally tone-deaf for some entertainment purposes. But, yes, if he actually believes this, he's so stupid that his being alive at his age all but disproves survival of the fittest.
LVMH

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #338 on: June 12, 2014, 06:48:52 pm »
Right, "laughable," "silly," and "childish" aren't even on the same planet as an intentional slur against an ethnic group. You're equating apples to hyperbolic, hateful oranges.

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.  IMHO using the term 'n-word' is is exactly the same as saying the word 'nigger', if not worse.  Worse in that you are saying the word and hiding behind some silly PC term thinking it makes you better to do so.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #339 on: June 12, 2014, 06:51:16 pm »

No, I leave open the possibility he's not stupid, but rather being intentionally tone-deaf for some entertainment purposes. But, yes, if he actually believes this, he's so stupid that his being alive at his age all but disproves survival of the fittest.

You really believe it takes someone stupid to see a team named the Wizards, especially a team in a sport  dominated by black players, and think of the KKK connection?  I think it takes someone ignorant to not make that connection.
FUKIT

Relaxer

« Reply #340 on: June 12, 2014, 06:54:33 pm »
Goddamn ratbastard, you are a stupid motherfucker, it is genuinely unbelievable.
oword

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #341 on: June 12, 2014, 06:56:14 pm »
Goddamn ratbastard, you are a stupid motherfucker, it is genuinely unbelievable.

Thank you for your opinion.  I'd fight to the death for your right to have it and express it.
FUKIT

atomic

« Reply #342 on: June 12, 2014, 11:03:46 pm »
We should come up with a list of names for them to choose.  I like the Landover Commuters.  Or if they need to pretend they are in Dc. The Washington lobbyists.  Maybe the panda bears.  They could borrow a panda from the zoo to be their mascot.

« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2014, 11:08:39 pm »
As I've suggested 800 times: the Landover Landed Gentry.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #344 on: June 12, 2014, 11:10:48 pm »
As I've suggested 800 times: the Landover Landed Gentry.

Everyone keep suggesting names and when we have a good number I will start a poll.  After the poll results are final I will email Dan Snyder the results.