Author Topic: Celebrity Crime & Scandal Blog  (Read 211154 times)

Space Freely

Re: Celebrity Crime & Scandal Blog
« Reply #645 on: January 19, 2023, 01:06:25 pm »
Alec Baldwin

« Reply #646 on: January 19, 2023, 01:34:57 pm »
Alec Baldwin
whoa
Besides the live round in the gun in Baldwin’s hand, the FBI found five more rounds of live ammo on the Rust set, the report detailed. Additionally, the report cast doubt on Baldwin’s assertion that he never pulled the trigger. “With the hammer at full cock, the revolver could not be made to fire without a pull of the trigger while the working internal components were intact and functional,” the document stated.

The report also went into detail on other instances of guns going off on Rust.

Reese Price, a key grip, told authorities that “accidental discharge” occurred twice during the course of one day on set. “One of the accidental discharges occurred by ‘armorer girl’ who was messing with a gun,” Price told authorities.

I still feel it's hard to blame Alec in this
biggest liability would be he was a producer of the film too
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #647 on: January 19, 2023, 02:06:48 pm »
Leaving out Baldwins role as a producer, I’m not understanding how he is somehow criminally responsible for this and, more acutely, I don’t see how “did he pull the trigger or not” is really the relevant point of contention here.
LVMH

« Reply #648 on: January 19, 2023, 02:23:55 pm »
Leaving out Baldwins role as a producer, I’m not understanding how he is somehow criminally responsible for this and, more acutely, I don’t see how “did he pull the trigger or not” is really the relevant point of contention here.
agreed, was kinda of a weird flex
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #649 on: January 19, 2023, 02:58:13 pm »
I’m not understanding how he is somehow criminally responsible for this

seems to me that the AD is in a really bad spot, and that his "cold gun" yell pretty much absolves Alec: "Assistant director Dave Halls fetched a prop gun from a cart outside the church and yelled “cold gun!,” indicating it was unloaded. He then handed it to Baldwin..." (source). but i'm not a lawyer, so...

I don’t see how “did he pull the trigger or not” is really the relevant point of contention here.

in the early days of this celebrity scandal, Alec claimed that he "didn't even pull the trigger, the gun went off all by itself" (i.e. malfunctioned).  court docs released today include an assessment that the gun was in normal working order, i.e. they have no reason to believe it misfired - implying that Alec pulled the trigger, and that he lied.  not a good look for someone claiming innocence.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #650 on: January 19, 2023, 03:38:15 pm »
seems to me that the AD is in a really bad spot, but i'm not a lawyer, so...

He's already plead guilty to a lesser charge:

"In exchange for a suspended sentence, the film’s first assistant director, Dave Halls, who handed Mr. Baldwin the gun, agreed to a plea deal, admitting there was sufficient evidence to convict him of negligent use of a deadly weapon."  (NYT, not CNN).

The other two did not plead and here we are.  I think the DA has political ambitions and wanted to see her name in the paper on this.  I doubt the judge finds probable cause for Baldwin, possible criminal negligence for the armorer, but not involuntary manslaughter.  It's a flimsy case resting on "industry standards or practices" and not legal requirements.  Industry standards are great in civil cases, but are almost useless in criminal cases.  The DA was probably frustrated because the 15 month investigation did not reveal who the real criminal is: whomever brought the live ammo to the set.     
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #651 on: January 19, 2023, 03:50:04 pm »
I think the DA has political ambitions

indeed, looks like she's chasing the "tough on crime" vote, and likely the "tough on the libs" vote too:

District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies outlined why the deadly on-set shooting could result in criminal charges regardless of whether it was an accident.

"Just because it is an accident doesn't mean that it's not criminal," Carmack-Altwies said in an interview with CNN.

"Our involuntary manslaughter statute covers unintentional killings, unintentional homicides," the district attorney continued. "Unintentional means they didn't mean to do it, they didn't have the intent to kill, but it happened anyway — and it happened because of more than mere negligence, because they didn't exercise due caution or circumspection, and that's what happened here."

my right-wingnut acquaintance have been vilifying alec from the moment this was first reported.  in the first hours, when details were scarce, they were already calling for the death penalty.  in typical far-right fashion, they feel vindicated that he was charged, because charged = guilty, amirite?
<sig>

« Reply #652 on: January 19, 2023, 03:52:11 pm »
my right-wingnut acquaintance have been vilifying alec from the moment this was first reported.  in the first hours, when details were scarce, they were already calling for the death penalty.  in typical far-right fashion, they feel vindicated that he was charged, because charged = guilty, amirite?
I've seen a lot of this...I think mostly due to his SNL Trump impersonation.  but also used as a whatabout when ever gun control comes up  "oh so it's ok if Alec just shoots someone in cold blood and doesn't go to prison for life"
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 03:53:47 pm by Creep-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

vansmack

« Reply #653 on: January 19, 2023, 04:19:14 pm »
likely the "tough on the libs" vote too

I think that's a stretch.  It's a non-partisan race but the first thing she did when in office was to release race-rioters who toppled a statue and had them agree to community service with the dept that has oversight of the statue.  She labelled it "restorative justice" and you just don't do that from the right.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #654 on: January 19, 2023, 05:08:07 pm »
in the early days of this celebrity scandal, Alec claimed that he "didn't even pull the trigger, the gun went off all by itself" (i.e. malfunctioned).  court docs released today include an assessment that the gun was in normal working order, i.e. they have no reason to believe it misfired - implying that Alec pulled the trigger, and that he lied.  not a good look for someone claiming innocence.
Oh, I get that. I'm saying it seems like a weird, self-inflicted moving of the goalposts by the Baldwin camp to frame this around "did he pull the trigger or not" when you and I are both saying "well, if he had reason to believe it was an unloaded prop gun, pulling the trigger is neither intent nor negligence." I feel like there's a path where some expert can now prove "the gun went off because of a trigger pull and nothing else is possible" and then Baldwin is a "liar" and liars get convicted even if the lie is immaterial.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #655 on: February 02, 2023, 12:50:05 am »
for fans of The Fall... some drama, oh my!

Mark E. Smith’s Family Says The Fall Members’ New Project Is “Extremely Offensive”

TL;DR: ex-members of The Fall have formed a new group, House of All, and the estate of MES isn't happy that they're mentioning their past membership to promote the new band.  much ado about nothing, IMO.  maybe the family is mad because they can't milk this for more money?

you can listen to the first single from HoA at the above link.  kinda sucks, IMO.
<sig>

« Reply #656 on: March 18, 2023, 09:06:01 am »
Donald Trump just said that he be arrested on Tuesday next week. 

He wrote on Truth Social, “The far & away leading Republican candidate & former President of the United States of America will be arrested on Tuesday of next week
slack

Hutch

« Reply #657 on: March 18, 2023, 10:05:40 am »
Honestly, can’t they get him on something else other than a hush payment that was improperly reported?

Seems kind of weak. At least if they could get him first on some other stuff and then add the Stormy Daniels payment…

Space Freely

« Reply #658 on: March 18, 2023, 03:06:02 pm »
Honestly, can’t they get him on something else other than a hush payment that was improperly reported?

Seems kind of weak. At least if they could get him first on some other stuff and then add the Stormy Daniels payment…

yup

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #659 on: March 18, 2023, 03:07:48 pm »
let's remember what got the notorious Al Capone behind bars: tax fraud.
<sig>