Author Topic: Demolish Nissan Pavilion...the Coldplay thread.  (Read 31673 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Demolish Nissan Pavilion...the Coldplay thread.
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2005, 04:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by muschi:
  dont any musicians friggin play their instruments anymore?!
are you still here?
(o|o)

muschi

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2005, 04:56:00 pm »
i dont see anybody else here. you talkin ta me?

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2005, 06:55:00 am »
you know, ever since I left the Coldplay show at 10 PM and saw the miles of cars still waiting to get in, I've thought long & hard about this one

as horrible as that was, did the 25,000 people that bought tickets not know what they were getting into when they bought the tickets, or were they all from out of town?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2005, 08:25:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Music criticism has become too polite.  just look at metacritic.  All those albums, and only one (Alanis Morrisette) has a negative rating.  Look at the film and DVD ratings and you see plenty of red.

Part of why this happens is that there are many more albums released than movies, so for a reviews to be written about all of them would be time consuming.  Since personal music tastes tend to more specific, why would a reviewer want to listen to and write about something they aren't going to like and give a bad review. CMJ New Music Monthly was asked once why their reviews were mainly postive, and the answer was why review something we hate.  Any number of outlets could trash the numerous self recorded and released records they get swamped with.  

And most outlets tend to specialize in "critisism" of a specific genre, be it indie rock, alt-country, emo, commercial rock, etc so reviews tend to be more positive and cheerleading.  Bigger sites serve more as filters for it's readership.  

Maybe some more point/counterpoint reviews are in order, or just let econo review stuff he'll trash anything   :D  

Concerts are more likely to be trashed than a record...
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2005, 09:42:00 am »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  as horrible as that was, did the 25,000 people that bought tickets not know what they were getting into when they bought the tickets, or were they all from out of town?
If you're not a regular to a place like Nissan (and I don't know anyone who is, except perhaps my friends who hit Jimmy Buffett every year, and they get there at like 2:00 p.m.), how could anyone know to expect a 3 hour drive from the District or Arlington?  

Someone already made the point -- next time go to Philly!  I've never been to Nissan since my 2.5 hour trek out for Pearl Jam a couple years ago.  As mentioned, I'll go for the reunited Smiths or Replacements.  That's it.

ggw

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2005, 09:42:00 am »
Part of why this happens is that there are many more albums released than movies, so for a reviews to be written about all of them would be time consuming. Since personal music tastes tend to more specific, why would a reviewer want to listen to and write about something they aren't going to like and give a bad review. CMJ New Music Monthly was asked once why their reviews were mainly postive, and the answer was why review something we hate. Any number of outlets could trash the numerous self recorded and released records they get swamped with.
Sure, but Metacritic has some minimum number (6?) of reviews that an album must get from a list of recognized publications, so its not just random favorites of particular writers.

There are over 100 albums listed on the site, meaning that out of 100 albums reviewed by six or more publications, less than 1% of them are rated "below average."  That just doesn't jive with reality.

Bags

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2005, 09:44:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 And most outlets tend to specialize in "critisism" of a specific genre, be it indie rock, alt-country, emo, commercial rock, etc so reviews tend to be more positive and cheerleading.  Bigger sites serve more as filters for it's readership.  
I hear what you're saying, K, but god knows there are as many (if not more) crap indie albums than great indie albums.  Even within a genre, shouldn't there be more variance?  It is one thing I like about Pitchfork -- they're not afraid to trash an album.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2005, 09:47:00 am »
Coming from the south, getting to Nissan is never that bad, no matter how late I try and get there. I go up 234 (I think) and take a left on wellington, and there's never, ever any traffic until that point, and from there it's only 20 minutes even if packed.

I always seem to luck out leaving as well. I think it only took me 20-30 minutes to get out of the parking lot to leave after Coldplay, and I didn't run out afterwards or anything (and again, going down 234 instead of 66 means there's virtually no one else around).

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2005, 09:49:00 am »

Originally posted by [username edited by p.c. moderator]:

Originally posted by jesse:

Coldplay set @ hfstival > coldplay set friday night

Yeah, seven songs is always much better then those seven songs plus ten more.     ;)

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2005, 09:49:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
   It is one thing I like about Pitchfork -- they're not afraid to trash an album.
The one thing I find most amusing about Pitchfork is they'll often be just nasty to a record, calling the band/singer washed up and not have anything good to say, then they'll give it a 5 or 6. 5 or 6!?! Isn't that above average according to their rating scale?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2005, 10:07:00 am »
most music reviews tend to find something to recommend about an album, and it's usually for fans of a particular style of music to findout about a record.  which is why most of the records on metacritic fall in the green zone.  there obviously records that receive critical acclaim or trashing as the case maybe.

the metacritic film section is much like rottentomatoes in that it uses a specific list of publications and reviewers, whereas there is no such list for the music reviews.
T.Rex

godsshoeshine

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2005, 10:24:00 am »
Originally posted by [username edited by p.c. moderator]:

Originally posted by Bags:
   It is one thing I like about Pitchfork -- they're not afraid to trash an album.
The one thing I find most amusing about Pitchfork is they'll often be just nasty to a record, calling the band/singer washed up and not have anything good to say, then they'll give it a 5 or 6. 5 or 6!?! Isn't that above average according to their rating scale? [/b]
i thought it worked more like a grading scale. like a 7.0 is a c-
o/\o

ggw

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2005, 10:27:00 am »
 the metacritic film section is much like rottentomatoes in that it uses a specific list of publications and reviewers, whereas there is no such list for the music reviews.
Q: Which critics and publications are included in your calculations?  

A: See the lists below. Several times each year, we will reevaluate our publication lists and may make additions and/or deletions.

Music:

All Music Guide
 Almost Cool
 Alternative Press*
 Amazon.com
 Austin Chronicle
 Billboard
 Blender*
 cokemachineglow
 Delusions of Adequacy
 Dot Music
 Drawer B
 Drowned In Sound
 Dusted Magazine
 E! Online
 Entertainment Weekly
 Filter*
 Flak Magazine
 The Guardian
 Junkmedia
 Los Angeles Times
 Lost At Sea
 Magnet*
 Mojo*
 musicOMH.com
 New Musical Express
 New York Magazine
 New York Times
 neumu
 No Ripcord
 The Onion (A.V. Club)
 Paste Magazine
 Pitchfork
 Planet*
 Playlouder
 Pop Matters
 Prefix Magazine
 Q Magazine*
 Resonance*
 Rolling Stone
 ShakingThrough.net
 Slant Magazine
 Spin*
 Splendid
 Stylus Magazine
 Tiny Mix Tapes
 Trouser Press
 Uncut*
 Under The Radar*
 Urb*
 Vibe*
 Village Voice
 The Wire*

http://www.metacritic.com/about/scoring.shtml

bearman🐻

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2005, 10:36:00 am »
I'm kind of surprised that a band like Travis never made it to where Coldplay is. If Coldplay can do this well in the States, then it's a bit of a puzzlement to me that Travis (who write better songs, are way more fun and funny, and cuter too) never found that audience that would take them to bigger venues and more album sales. They have more charisma and aren't as much of a downer. Of course, that last record of theirs was utter crap, but they had some decent songs early on, especially "Good Feeling" which is a great record.

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2005, 10:39:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  i thought it worked more like a grading scale. like a 7.0 is a c-
Not unless they changed it. They used to have a box detailing it, and I remember distinctly "5.0 - Average."