Author Topic: Wow... Wilco just sold out in about 15 minutes...  (Read 14472 times)

Re: Wow... Wilco just sold out in about 15 minutes...
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2004, 10:02:00 am »
I would have rather sold my ticket to a longtime fan of the band than someone who had recently seen Rhett Miller's pretty face on MTV2. The bottom line was I got the price I was asking for. But given the choice between selling at the same price to a diehard fan and someone with only a passing interest, I'd always choose the former.

Originally posted by Macktastic Bag O' Flash:

Originally posted by Sacktastic Bag O' Nuts:
 And the guy turned out to only know one Old 97's album. Perhaps if we had jacked up the price a bit, we would have found a buyer who was a real fan.
Since when do only "real fans" deserve to go to a show?  He was willing to pay, you were willing to sell.  Maybe he'll be a HUGE fan after seeing them play live.  Maybe he won't, shouldn't make a damn bit of difference.

Now the being late part, that's BAD.  I can't stand that; folks who are habitually late are completely oblivious that it is YOUR time they're wasting. [/b]

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2004, 10:05:00 am »
Me too.

As much as I go on about making small change from reselling cd's, my true purpose is to look for cool new music. Basically, if a cd is only a buck, it gives me a chance to try it out and see if I like it, whereas I would have to be pretty darm sure i wanted it to buy it at $15. Cases in point: I would have never bought Grant Lee Phillips or the Libertines for $15, but I took a chance at $1, and reaped the rewards of good music.

Originally posted by pollard:

If you bought a cd at CD Game Exchange for a buck, and you thought you could sell it for $20, would you not sell it for $20?
maybe, but I never go in to cd game exchange looking for cds that I might be able to sell for more, usually i am looking for another cd that I can listen to once and stick on my shelf for 5 years until I sell it back to cd exchange for a dollar [/b]

eltee

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2004, 10:38:00 am »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:

Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:

Originally posted by lily1:
  they need to add a second  date. it sold out in under 2 minutes.
So did Velvet Revolver and Bush a couple of years ago and they sold out quicker but noone was begging for a second date.  They would be much more interesting to see then Wilco (who?) T:p [/b]
I think they should just make bands come here and play every night until they no longer sell out.  That way everyone who wants to see them has a chance and we can all be one big happy family. [/b]
Melissa Etheridge is coming back?  ;)
 Funnily enough, I've thought this theory as well.

eltee

« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2004, 10:55:00 am »
I sold him one too. I don't agree with the being late part, but the guy was from outta town and probably got lost (as he did night of show when I sold him my ticket for his friend). I have no idea how many albums he owns, but he told me he has been to many of their shows. I can't control the type of fan I sell to, it really doesn't matter, I'm not inventorizing their cd collection and asking for their fan club card. However, it can be a bummer if that person sucks your time, or gas money, or is unappreciative. I can become judgey then, and if they are going to the club/show to only be a part of the "scene".  
  I would have rather sold my ticket to a longtime fan of the band than someone who had recently seen Rhett Miller's pretty face on MTV2. The bottom line was I got the price I was asking for. But given the choice between selling at the same price to a diehard fan and someone with only a passing interest, I'd always choose the former.

And the guy turned out to only know one Old 97's album. Perhaps if we had jacked up the price a bit, we would have found a buyer who was a real fan.
Since when do only "real fans" deserve to go to a show?  He was willing to pay, you were willing to sell.  Maybe he'll be a HUGE fan after seeing them play live.  Maybe he won't, shouldn't make a damn bit of difference.

Now the being late part, that's BAD.  I can't stand that; folks who are habitually late are completely oblivious that it is YOUR time they're wasting. [/b]
[/b]

Celeste

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2004, 10:58:00 am »
in defense of the lateness of the dork who bought the Old 97s ticket...he WAS from out of town and not familiar with the area, which could have contributed to his lateness...and he was very apologetic and grateful for the ticket

his snow white Reeboks were indefensible, however

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2004, 10:59:00 am »
To his credit, the guy was appreciative.

Bags

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2004, 11:04:00 am »
Originally posted by Sugartastic Tee Silk:
  I can't control the type of fan I sell to, it really doesn't matter...
That's why I try to sell tix via this board.  I figure the ticket seeker must be pretty eager and a fan of either the band or live music...either way, shows a healthy level of interest and desire.

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2004, 11:05:00 am »
Wilco is playing Lollapalooza in Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland.

freddyadu

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2004, 11:56:00 am »
so what was the scene like outside the box office?

jkeisenh

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2004, 11:59:00 am »
Originally posted by freddyadu:
  so what was the scene like outside the box office?
Does anyone *go* to a box office??

Scene outside my box office: my cube, decorated in images from Bicycling Magazine and odd collected art from old Art-O-Matic shows.  Occassionally someone with coffee mug in hand approach the area.

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2004, 12:04:00 pm »
Both Sugartastic and I are referring to a guy who bought our ticket via this board.

I don't think going to a venues website necessarily indicates a big music fan...

Originally posted by Sugartastic Tee Silk:
  I can't control the type of fan I sell to, it really doesn't matter...
That's why I try to sell tix via this board.  I figure the ticket seeker must be pretty eager and a fan of either the band or live music...either way, shows a healthy level of interest and desire. [/b]

taylorjohnmark

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2004, 12:35:00 pm »
Hey lok at that: Four sets of two tickets for the D.C. Wilco show on sale at eBay going for more than $100, with some asshole demanding $199 for his pair.

You're right, that guy should be commended and patted on the back for a job well done.

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2004, 12:39:00 pm »
I think they'd probably make more if they waited until closer to the show.

Originally posted by TheTaylor:
  Hey lok at that: Four sets of two tickets for the D.C. Wilco show on sale at eBay going for more than $100, with some asshole demanding $199 for his pair.

You're right, that guy should be commended and patted on the back for a job well done.

ggw

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2004, 01:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by TheTaylor:

You should probably wait until I sell them before you congratulate me.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2004, 02:32:00 pm »
  I think they'd probably make more if they waited until closer to the show.
Ya think?  A lot of people panic as soon as a show sells out. This might actually be the best time to sell.