Author Topic: Dandy Warhols Presale info  (Read 20067 times)

ggw

Re: Dandy Warhols Presale info
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2003, 05:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:
 Can you stick those and the covers that were mentioned on CDR.If so,i'll burn you a copy of the Black album,sound good?I'm gonna try to burn a few copies of my most recent mixes to give out as well.So,who all on here is going on friday?
Sounds like a plan.

I won't be able to make the Polly's shindig, but if you end up hanging with Anton and his posse I'm sure I'll find you at the show.

jadetree

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2003, 05:22:00 pm »
I will be at the show, and most likely at Polly's or wherever it is that we go.

SPARX

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2003, 05:27:00 pm »
So,who all on here is going on friday? [/qb][/QUOTE]Sounds like a plan.

I won't be able to make the Polly's shindig, but if you end up hanging with Anton and his posse I'm sure I'll find you at the show. [/QB][/QUOTE]                                                                                               :cool:  I'm not sure about Pollys myself.Depends on what time I can get to Fairfax to pick up a buddy and then get downtown.I'm gonna be cuttin it close,as I won't be leaving  WV til about 5 due to my buddys wife having to work til then(yes,he's coming as well).If,for some reason i can't find those guys,check with Jag,she should be able to point you in my direction!

markie

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2003, 05:32:00 pm »
As a backup plan, I will be going to the downstairs backbar after the show. I will let you know what I will be wearing on the day.....

SPARX

« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2003, 05:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  As a backup plan, I will be going to the downstairs backbar after the show.
I'll stop down there afterwards if i haven't seen you guys yet.

Jaguär

« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2003, 05:40:00 pm »
  As a backup plan, I will be going to the downstairs backbar after the show. I will let you know what I will be wearing on the day.....
Good thinking Anton, as it gets crowded upstairs sometimes and hard to find others. I too plan to make it downstairs afterwards. Just look and listen for the Brit rocking hipster loons. Just give us time to make it downstairs with possible restroom stops, vendor browsing, crowd weaving and just stalling.

walkman

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2003, 06:20:00 pm »
I'll be up at the front with Kurosawa.  Should be a good one.

Jaguär

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2003, 06:22:00 pm »
Speaking of beer taxes, the freaking whores are at it again!!!   :mad:    :mad:    :mad:  

We have Josh and his crew doing a great job. We don't need for them to keep bleeding those who are of age and legal. It really only ends up hurting all the businesses involved.

(Sorry about the length.)
 Tue Sep 9, 6:23 PM ET  Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congress and state legislatures should raise taxes on alcohol, especially beer, to discourage underage drinking, advisers to the government said on Tuesday.

The Institute of Medicine (news - web sites) and the National Research Council (news - web sites) also recommended more careful advertising of alcohol to ensure children do not get bombarded with pro-drinking messages.

"More young people drink alcohol than use other drugs or smoke tobacco, and underage drinking costs the nation an estimated $53 billion annually in losses stemming from traffic fatalities, violent crime, and other behaviors that threaten the well-being of America's youth," the Institute, commissioned by Congress to write the report, said in a statement.

"Alcohol is much cheaper today, after adjusting for inflation, than it was 30 to 40 years ago," the Institute said. "Higher tax rates should be tied to the Consumer Price Index (news - web sites) to keep pace with inflation."

It said many studies had shown that raising prices deters underage drinkers.

CHANGING THE WAY SOCIETY VIEWS DRINKING

The report recommends concerted efforts to change the way society views drinking.

"The Motion Picture Association of America, for instance, should consider content about alcohol use when rating films, and assign mature ratings for movies that portray drinking in a favorable light," the Institute said.

Congress and the Health and Human Services (news - web sites) Department should monitor advertising, movies, television programs, music recordings, and videos that may be seen by teens and children.

"We think it is reasonable to expect the industry to do more than it is now doing," Richard Bonnie, a law professor at the University of Virginia who chaired the committee, told a news conference.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving praised the report,

"Underage drinking is our nation's No. 1 youth drug problem," MADD president Wendy Hamilton said in a statement.

She said drinking killed 6.5 times more children and teens than all illicit drugs combined. "Only $71 million of the federal fiscal year 2000 budget was spent on underage drinking prevention. This mere pittance pales in comparison to the $18 billion spent on the war on drugs," she added.

The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States said it was already moving to tighten its advertising recommendations, saying drinking-related ads should only go into media with a readership or viewership made up of 70 percent adults or more.

"This is a significant increase and replaces the previous provision that required a 51 percent adult audience," the group said in a statement.

"This is a step in the right direction, but the committee believes that the adult threshold for viewers or listeners should be raised even further," Bonnie said.

The Federal Trade Commission issued a separate report on Tuesday saying the alcohol industry had improved its self-regulation on advertising. "The report also found no evidence of targeting underage consumers in the flavored malt beverage market," the FTC said.

But the Beer Institute said calls for tax increases were misguided. "Experience has shown that the only clear results from increasing beer excise taxes are higher unemployment and higher prices for responsible adults -- such measures do nothing to lower teen drinking," Jeff Becker, President of Beer Institute, said in a statement.

Bags

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2003, 09:39:00 pm »
That's so funny, markie.  Probably why I haven't met anyone on the board yet (not that y'all are complete internet weirdos, but that you think I am, which I'm NOT).

some of us may go to pollys before hand. but its scarey meeting there as we cant just lose you in the crowd if you are a complete internet weirdo.

I'll think of something and post tomorrow.

Bags

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2003, 09:48:00 pm »
Wow, I've only had fantastic service at Polly's.  And while I've never had Boddies, their pints run $4 - $5, isn't that standard in DC?

Mank , they must be tuning in to your curmudgeonliness!  (I know I spelled that oddly; don't have the time to look it up...)

Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by mankie:
   their prices certainly scared me away for life!
you remind me of my grandad, "here is 10p go and buy yourself a cup of tea and a sandwich........" [/b]
Oh come on! You can't tell me that $16 for a pint of Boddies and pint of flat Guiness is not out of order in a shit hole like Polly's.

Especially with the lousy 'tude of the bar wench and the old witch of a waitress that barges her way past everyone so you spill your $16 boddies and flat guinness! [/b]

Bags

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2003, 09:53:00 pm »
Well, Rhett, some of us are social, have friends to hang out with, like to meet up someplace before or after a show.  There are so many reasons.  How did you find Celeste if you stayed home drinking six  packs??

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  i can get a whole six pack for $7, and sit at home naked drinking it with my naked wife, playing the music we want to hear.

what was the point of going to a bar?

walkman

« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2003, 10:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

such measures do nothing to lower teen drinking," Jeff Becker, President of Beer Institute, said in a statement.
I never thought I'd agree with the President of the Beer Institute, but ahhhh this country is so misguided!  Is the government's concern that teens are drinking, or that teens are getting smashed and then driving cars/hurting themselves or others?  Honestly, who gives a fuck if I drink a beer?  I'm sure as hell not about to drive a car if I'm sloshed.  It seems to me that the real problem here is the drinking AGE...suddenly, rather than go out for a pint or two with some friends, without fear of prosecution, I end up driving to a party in the middle of nowhere which will undoubtably get busted by the cops, at which point at least three or four kids will ALWAYS try to drive away while drunk (no matter what I might try to argue).  If it wasn't illegal, they'd have no reason to go anywhere.  And then you can look at the rates of alchohol-related deaths among teenagers in reasonable countries like, um Canada and all of Europe, and you find much lower rates across the board.  So the idea that making alchohol even more difficult/expensive to come by will prevent dangerous drinking is just ludicrous â?? it makes it that much less appealing to drink casually, and that much more appealing to drink to get drunk.  We should keep the taxes where they are, and lower the drinking age to 18.  Silly Americans.

SPARX

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2003, 01:20:00 pm »
How often is the FAQ checked?I asked rather they allowed recording tomorrow for the Dandy's but haven't heard anything back???

markie

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2003, 01:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:
  How often is the FAQ checked?I asked rather they allowed recording tomorrow for the Dandy's but haven't heard anything back???
they normally check the FAQ regularly. But they will probably only get an answer from the band on the day of the show. The same thing goes with photos.

So is this going to be a big board bash?

SPARX

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2003, 01:28:00 pm »
 [[/qb]
they normally check the FAQ regularly. But they will probably only get an answer from the band on the day of the show. The same thing goes with photos.

[/QB][/QUOTE]
 I was afraid of that.I won't have any computer access tomorrow.Guess i'll bring my recorder,just in case.i can always go back to the car and get it if need be.An answer today would sure be nice though  ;)